Skip to content
New Member Introductions

User Stats

Votes
Rob Porter
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Elizabeth, CO
Votes |
NOOB From Elizabeth, CO (Outside of Denver)

Rob Porter
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Elizabeth, CO
Posted Feb 11 2013, 21:23

Not really sure what I'm doing here but, for some reason, I feel like I'm in the right place.
I can't really call myself a REI. I own one rental house that was our former primary residence. I would love to own more. And I love the idea of buying/re-habbbing/selling/renting property. I would really like to do it full time.
So I need to spend some time looking around this site/blog and see what I can learn. Frankly, I have no cash right now to work with and am actually thinking about cashing out of the property I do own to capture equity and pay off some personal debt.
But I do have the bug - to buy, flip, hold, rent... I can do most rehab myself with little interaction from some subs...
I'm rambling.
Anyone relate to what I'm saying?
Looking forward to learning from all of you!

User Stats

Votes
Joel Owens
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Canton, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Canton, GA
ModeratorReplied Feb 11 2013, 21:46

Hi Rob and welcome.

I am not a rehabber but look at J Scott, James Vermilion, Will Barnard and a few others on here that focus on it heavily.

They can give you a ton of valuable info on rehabs.

User Stats

Votes
William Bannister
  • Commercial Landlord
  • Oshkosh, WI
Votes |
  • Commercial Landlord
  • Oshkosh, WI
Replied Feb 11 2013, 21:47

Welcome Rob to BP, sounds like your an investor to me. I think if you liked it the 1st time around you only get better with experience.
That is how I started I did a lot of the work myself with a little interaction with subs. Then as time moved on I did less as I could afford to have subs and labor do it all. im still rehabbing 20 years later.

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Rob Porter
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Elizabeth, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Elizabeth, CO
Replied Feb 11 2013, 21:55
Originally posted by Joel Owens:
Hi Rob and welcome.

I am not a rehabber but look at J Scott, James Vermilion, Will Barnard and a few others on here that focus on it heavily.

They can give you a ton of valuable info on rehabs.

Thanks Joel. I expect I will be spending a lot of time looking around here.
I'm originally from GA myself - Columbus - and get back there often.

Regards,
Rob

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Turner#2 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
Brandon Turner#2 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • Investor
  • Maui, HI
Replied Feb 11 2013, 22:58

Welcome Rob Porter! We are a very tight community that loves to help people with their problems, so if you are unsure about how to move forward, you've come to the right place. Chances are, you have answers to questions as well so feel free to browse the forums and jump in when you can! Let us know how we can help!

User Stats

Votes
James Vermillion
  • Lexington, KY
Votes |
  • Lexington, KY
Replied Feb 12 2013, 05:34

Welcome to BP Rob. There is more information here about rehabbing than you will know what to do with at first. Make sure you head over to the rehabbing / flipping area of the forums and start reading:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/67-rehabbing-and-flipping-forum

Even if you are going to be doing a lot of the work yourself you still need to understand the market in your area, how to estimate rehab costs, determining ARV, etc.

Again, welcome to BiggerPockets, let us know how we can help!

User Stats

Votes
Austin S.
  • Stoneham, CO
Votes |
  • Stoneham, CO
Replied Feb 12 2013, 05:41

Welcome Rob Porter. I am a newbie as well, out in the NE corner of Colorado. I am coming up to a couple seminars in Thornton this Saturday (16th) that ICOR (Investment Club of Rockies). If you want to shoot me your email address I can send you the information and maybe we can catch up. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Will Barnard
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
ModeratorReplied Feb 12 2013, 09:25

I may be bias, but I believe you found the right place for your education in RE investing. Rehabbing is my game (at least curently) and any questions you may have, do not hesitate to ask. Plenty of threads on the topic so dig in and enjoy.

Welcome to BP Nation!

User Stats

Votes
Grant P.
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Denver, CO
Replied Feb 12 2013, 12:35

Seems like a ton of people from Colorado joining all the time.

Just did a deal in Parker, not all the way to Elizabeth but in that direction.

Some of us in Denver get together once a month, and just have a casual meeting and talk about REI. I have meet some good people there.

I also attended the Summit that Bigger Pockets puts on, held here in Denver. I learned a ton in the 2 days I attended. Highly suggest picking up a ticket.

Welcome from a fellow Colorado investor

User Stats

Votes
Rob Porter
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Elizabeth, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Elizabeth, CO
Replied Feb 14 2013, 06:45

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the encouraging comments. Sorry, I have been tied up with the primary vocation this week. I hope I can have some time this weekend to dig into the forums and see where I need to focus. I'll be on the road for a few weeks.
Thanks