Votes
Bienes Raices
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Fixing this hole

Bienes Raices
  • Orlando, FL
Posted Jan 1 2010, 07:14

Can this hole could be fixed with just the joint compound/mesh method, instead of the more involved method where you cut out a square of drywall around the hole? The hole is is only about 2" by 2". Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
J Scott
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
ModeratorReplied Jan 1 2010, 03:46

Most likely, in the time it took you to take that picture, download it, paste it here, and write your post, you could have just patched the hole! :)

Here you go:

http://www.ehow.com/video_4150_patch-hole-drywall.html

User Stats

Votes
Josh Green
  • Financial Advisor
  • Tampa Area, FL
Votes |
  • Financial Advisor
  • Tampa Area, FL
Replied Jan 1 2010, 03:53

lol @ jscott

yea bienes, something that small is a quick fix.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Mitch Kronowit
  • SFR Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Votes |
  • SFR Investor
  • Orange County, CA
Replied Jan 1 2010, 10:23

If the wall is textured, e.g., knock-down or orange peel, the repair will take a little longer to make it look good. Nothing screams "amateur" more than a nice smooth patch on a rough textured wall. ;-)

You can buy small cans of texture touch-up for under $10 at a hardware store. Trying to match the texture of the existing wall takes a little practice (and I'm still practicing myself!), but if done properly, makes the patched area virtually invisible like it never happened.

User Stats

Votes
Marc Freislinger
  • Flipper
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Flipper
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Jan 1 2010, 11:07
Originally posted by Mitch Kronowit:
If the wall is textured, e.g., knock-down or orange peel, the repair will take a little longer to make it look good. Nothing screams "amateur" more than a nice smooth patch on a rough textured wall. ;-)

You can buy small cans of texture touch-up for under $10 at a hardware store. Trying to match the texture of the existing wall takes a little practice (and I'm still practicing myself!), but if done properly, makes the patched area virtually invisible like it never happened.

He's absolutely right. Textured walls are terrible, and you can almost always tell when they are patched. Please, please, pay the extra for smooth walls when you rehab properties!! I go into rentals all the time and they look terrible because of this.

User Stats

Votes
Jeffrey K.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Jan 1 2010, 11:08

You can a metal patch with fiber mesh tape over it at HD. Buy the small and put a thing coat on first time. Sand lightly, then put on another coat and sand with find sponge. This should do it. If not use another coat and sand to feather in. I would use 20 minute mud for a repair. Work fast because it sets up in about 10 minutes.

Account Closed
  • OR
Votes |
  • OR
Replied Jan 2 2010, 01:21

Jeffery's got it.

Peel and stick drywall patch. You get them at any paint store, or any hardware store that sells paint, including the big box stores.

For a 2" hole. I'd probably use spackle.

Peel and stick the patch, spread spackle, dry, sand, and use a can of spray on texture.

As long as you can get the paint to match, nobody will notice the patch.

User Stats

Votes
Bienes Raices
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Jan 2 2010, 02:16

thanks, I appreciate the responses

User Stats

Votes
Charles Whitaker
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Amarillo, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Amarillo, TX
Replied Jan 8 2010, 13:02

Another good tip is to sand the texture down just around the hole where the patch will cover before applying the patch. This will bring the metal/mesh patch closer to the original sheetrock which reduces the amount of float area, reduces the ability to see a patch when completed and allows for easier feathering when finishing.

User Stats

Votes
Just Don
Votes |

MY way of fixing that so it doesnt happen again is to cut a thin,,,aprox, same width as the hole,,,of plywood and slip that in there with a drywall screw to hang onto or a wire or string. Use paneling glue,or other good permannet glue to go around the edges of the hole, Take more drywall screws and screw the drywall to the plywood strip above and below the hole.Should be 6-8 inches higher and lower than the hole for good results. Cut a little chunk of drywall that just fits in the center spot and screw and glue that fast inside the hole,,then it takes alot less patching and your actually done quicker than patching from zero fill. Use mesh and your good in 2-3 coats,,,and it drys quicker with less mud in the hole.

Another tip is to cut this round hole to JUST square with the hole, then plywood slips thru as wide as possible on the angle and fits over side of holes better when put on straight,,,clear as mud???

Had patches on where doorknobs knocked holes 20 years ago and its as strong and as good today as then. Makes repaired area 10 times stronger than it was!!

if your plywood poor and in a hurry you can use another piece of scrap drywall same as plywood

User Stats

Votes
Timothy W.#3 Off Topic Contributor
  • Investor
  • Viera, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Viera, FL
Replied Jan 10 2010, 04:14

What you need to do is spend 2 hours screening contractors for this because you need your time to find deals.

Seriously thought, for small holes like this, look for lightweight spackle (fast n final) and just put it right on. This stuff doesn't shrink when it dries and you don't have to sand it.

User Stats

Votes
Christian Morency
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Millbrook, AL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Millbrook, AL
Replied Jan 10 2010, 20:15

I use rolled metal flashing, cut to size. Stick it to the wall with construction adhesive. Feather the edges with instantly paintable spackle and paint. Total elapsed time is about 20 minutes including cleanup of tools and stuff.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Horvath
  • Real Estate Investor
  • houston, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • houston, TX
Replied Mar 26 2010, 07:27

i would hang a picture over it.

User Stats

Votes