BiggerPockets

Still necessary to stage retail flips?

5 posts by 4 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Larry Flanagan

Des Moines, Iowa

Feb 06 '13, 06:59 AM

Or has the market rebounded enough to not need to bother with staging anymore?

Glenn Espinosa

Rehabber from

Feb 06 '13, 07:08 AM

Take a look at your competition as well as the days on market for your area. What you find will help you realize a localized answer to your question.

K. Marie Poe

Real Estate Investor from Central Valley, California

Feb 06 '13, 07:39 AM

There is little to no staging in my farms. It never really caught on where I am, even in many the higher priced areas, even when it really was a buyers market. Where I am, it's all about price and location, and staging can't address that. I would do a limited amount if I had a property with challenging space(s). So many rehabbers here are working on thin margins and trying to make up for it in volume. Staging is the last thing on their minds. Of course, a property sitting on the market from more than 30 days would get their attention, but that's just not happening right now.

K. Marie Poe

Real Estate Investor from Central Valley, California

Feb 06 '13, 07:43 AM

I wanted to add that a rehab in my farm is recognizable by its emptiness in the photos on the MLS. The bulk of listings are short sales by owner occupants, with all their crap. Usually looks bad, even when they own nice crap. The unstaging is working in our favor right now.

David Manin

Tracy, California

Feb 06 '13, 09:59 AM

In my market I have staged properties in the top tier ($600K+). The cost is not significant to me since my wife does most of the work.
It also depends on what buyers you are attracting. In my market Buyers who are upgrading are more receptive to a staged home.

Investors who are looking for rentals tend to see the other aspects (ease of maintenance etc.)

Marie,

What cities do you primarily concentrate on in the Central valley?

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums