Spray painting cabinets?

Spray painting cabinets?

Real Estate Investor · chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 231 votes

I was just watching DIY Network quick tip for painting your cabinets; use some light sandpaper or liquid sand then roll or spray paint.

Spray paint? Is that for real? Would the result come with similar results as painting (doubtful if I judge by my sprayed ceiling)? It sure would save a ton of time.

0Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
13y

Scott W. Do you mean spray them with a can of spray paint or a paint sprayer? I wouldn't do it with a can of spray paint. However, if you're referring to using a paint sprayer, that's the method I actually prefer. I've had my painter spray all of my cabinets, and they come out perfect (and no brush strokes to worry about).

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · NW Indiana · Member since 2012 · 833 posts · 197 votes
    13y

    Scott W. they are removing the cabinets right? I guess if you're a good with a spray can? :)

  • Contractor · Signal Hill, CA · Member since 2013 · 69 posts · 11 votes
    13y

    Spray painting will not look the same.

    However I do spray paint wood in various situations.

    If you make an attempt do as follows.
    Wipe down the cabinets with a wet drywall sanding block.
    Spray XIM primer from a can on everything and use bullseye primer over areas where the original paint may be missing. Then paint with the spray can. Dark flats work best but the look is not that great.

  • Real Estate Investor · Hampton, VA · Member since 2012 · 562 posts · 109 votes
    13y

    We have sprayed( primed) cabinets before using a paint sprayer, not the can spray..I have also had to touch up with a brush/roller afterwards

  • Investor · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2010 · 628 posts · 251 votes
    13y

    I watched my crew do some bathroom cabinets I decided to paint. They used a small hopper type of sprayer with oil base paint. Turned out great. Were you thinking about using an airless? I gathered that since you mentioned your ceiling. I wouldn't try that on cabinets installed.
    Don

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y

    Scott W. Do you mean spray them with a can of spray paint or a paint sprayer? I wouldn't do it with a can of spray paint. However, if you're referring to using a paint sprayer, that's the method I actually prefer. I've had my painter spray all of my cabinets, and they come out perfect (and no brush strokes to worry about).

  • Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2013 · 99 posts · 30 votes
    13y

    They have some unique "spray paint options" today but I vote no :)

  • Investor · Chicago/ Carol Stream, IL · Member since 2009 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Try "Rustoleum Cabinet transformation". It comes as a kit that includes everything you'll need to paint your cabinets (Primer, degreaser, clear coat etc.) I'vs used it few time and was very pleased with the results. The process is labor intensive - you can buy it at any Home Depot.

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2012 · 35 posts · 3 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Kyle J.:
    Scott W. Do you mean spray them with a can of spray paint or a paint sprayer? I wouldn't do it with a can of spray paint. However, if you're referring to using a paint sprayer, that's the method I actually prefer. I've had my painter spray all of my cabinets, and they come out perfect (and no brush strokes to worry about).

    how important is to to remove the cabinets ?

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Tarun Kapoor:
    Originally posted by Kyle J.:
    Scott W. Do you mean spray them with a can of spray paint or a paint sprayer? I wouldn't do it with a can of spray paint. However, if you're referring to using a paint sprayer, that's the method I actually prefer. I've had my painter spray all of my cabinets, and they come out perfect (and no brush strokes to worry about).

    how important is to to remove the cabinets ?

    My painter doesn't remove them. (He does take all the drawers out though and the hardware off.) He is a really good painter and the cabinets always come out looking smooth as glass.

  • Real Estate Investor · Woodlands, Manitoba · Member since 2011 · 46 posts · 11 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Dariusz Chlopecki:
    Try "Rustoleum Cabinet transformation". It comes as a kit that includes everything you'll need to paint your cabinets (Primer, degreaser, clear coat etc.) I'vs used it few time and was very pleased with the results. The process is labor intensive - you can buy it at any Home Depot.

    I've seen a few projects here on BiggerPockets where Rustoleum was used for the counters and the cabinets. Looks great! I definitely want to try it out on some of my rentals.

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Brad Friesen:
    Originally posted by Dariusz Chlopecki:
    Try "Rustoleum Cabinet transformation". It comes as a kit that includes everything you'll need to paint your cabinets (Primer, degreaser, clear coat etc.) I'vs used it few time and was very pleased with the results. The process is labor intensive - you can buy it at any Home Depot.

    I've seen a few projects here on BiggerPockets where Rustoleum was used for the counters and the cabinets. Looks great! I definitely want to try it out on some of my rentals.

    Brad Friesen I had a contractor (not my regular painter) use Rustoleum's cabinet transformation on the cabinets in one of my houses because he had an extra kit laying around. I must say it came out looking pretty good.

  • Real Estate Investor · chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 231 votes
    13y

    Kyle J. just curious, how much was the labor? i've heard of the transformation product & was going to use it until the cabinets couldn't be saved due to plumbing.

  • Real Estate Investor · Woodlands, Manitoba · Member since 2011 · 46 posts · 11 votes
    13y

    @Kyle J since you've used both methods, how would you compare the quality and overall appearance of the Rustoleum products to a good old fashioned paint job?

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Scott W.:
    Kyle J. just curious, how much was the labor? i've heard of the transformation product & was going to use it until the cabinets couldn't be saved due to plumbing.

    I'm not sure since I paid the contractor one price for a bunch of work and the cabinet painting wasn't separately itemized. However, it's definitely something you could do yourself (if you were interested).

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Brad Friesen:
    @Kyle J since you've used both methods, how would you compare the quality and overall appearance of the Rustoleum products to a good old fashioned paint job?

    Hard to say because I liked the results with both.

    I normally have my cabinets spray painted because my painter (who paints the entire inside of my houses for me) is already spraying paint and it's just so easy for him to continue spraying over the cabinets.

    I think if I was going to do it myself though, I would use the Rustoleum product because it seems a little easier for a DIY'er like myself since I don't personally own a good quality paint sprayer and Rustoleum's product can easily be brushed on and still end up looking good.

  • Contractor · Anchorage, AK · Member since 2012 · 351 posts · 196 votes
    13y

    Just my two cents on Transformations.

    There is nothing magical about it. Everything in it is available on the shelf seperately and at less cost, although the instructional video provides DIY valuable info. Refinishing or painting cabinets is very labor intensive, and results are dependent upon the skill level of the user. The kits are convenient for the DIY who has the time to spend, but it may make more sense to ensure a quality end product by hiring it professionally done.

    What I dont like about it is how misleading the marketing is. DIY has turned into a HUGE market and this product plays to it. Rustoleum claims that with the kit you eliminate the need for stripping, sanding, and priming. Stripping would seldom be necessary before painting, deglossing with scotchbrite pads is basically wet sanding, and the "base coat" is.... thats right... a tinted primer coat! But if they didnt make it sound easy, noone would buy it!

    For the right DIYers Im sure its great. I would just caution those considering it to expect it to eat up a great deal of time, require a great deal of space, and may not look as sassy as the pics on the box and website.

    As far as fizz cans... I hope DIY Network wasnt talking about using them on cabinets. But who knows... How many shows have you seen where they start rolling out paint with a 4" roller in the middle of the wall! Spray paint in the can is way too thin bodied and would take forever and ten days to do a kitchen with, and you'd be chasing runs and sags and if you did get enough build for a decent finish, you would cloud adjacent surface finish as you go with the overspray.

    Cabinets are best sprayed with a HVLP(high volume low pressure)sprayer which allows greater control and finer finish than most airless, with a manageable level of overspray. A good option might be to work with your painter and you do the prep and pay him to come in and shoot them for a couple hundred bucks.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.