Scripts for calling on sellers

Scripts for calling on sellers

Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes

A collection of BP links that deal with calling on sellers. Enjoy!

First group is more motivational in nature:

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/69/topics/59018-how-did-your-first-calls-go-to-potential-sellers-starting-out-

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/62/topics/17224-telephone-fear-how-to-get-rid-of-it-when-talking-to-sellers

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2010/01/14/conquering-fear-phone-rings/

This next group is more of the "how to" and "what to say":

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/87-real-estate-investor-marketing/topics/33478-scripts

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/93/topics/36201-qualifying-questions

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/41/topics/46888-cold-calling-finding-phone-numbers

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/87/topics/43359-i-hate-cold-calling

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/87/topics/45714-direct-mail-what-list-would-typically-generate-the-highest-response-rate-

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/87/topics/20637-how-to-talk-to-all-potential-sellers

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/21/topics/37687-new-agent-needs-help-with-cold-calls-

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2009/10/25/script-screening-motivated-sellers/

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2010/07/25/99-real-estate-leads-and-no-real-estate-deals/

http://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/1078/blog_posts/12211-call-care-and-educate-

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/87/topics/15544-door-knocking-what-to-say

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/12/topics/14743-my-next-question-finding-distressed-sellers

http://www.biggerpockets.com/articles/313-the-1-way-to-make-money-in-today-s-market

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/93/topics/44915-calling-buyers-leave-a-voicemail-

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/93/topics/45854-angry-voicemail

90Reply
211 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
14y

@steve. Im amazed that you catagorized all of these links. My only concern is that things change. As I've learned about sellers and time ive also learned that time causes change.

Readers should consider change. What works today may not be appropriate tomorrow. And what works for one won't for another. Just read all and create your own script.

See this reply in the discussion

45 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mark UpdegraffBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Rochester, NY · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 689 votes
    15y

    Thanks Steve! You're organization of threads is always appreciated and it really adds drastically to accessibility of information!!

    Sincerely,
    Mark

  • FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 357 votes
    15y

    Steve,
    Thank you.

    Raymond

  • Real Estate Investor · Northeast TN, TN · Member since 2008 · 516 posts · 361 votes
    15y

    Great selection of posts Steve. Thanks for sharing :-)

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    15y

    Adding another link where Michael Quarles spills it all - well, at least he contributed a number of scripts for different scenarios:

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/61/topics/60893-calling-scripts

  • Real Estate Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2010 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    15y

    Nice Thread.Really appreciative of the efforts that go in to establishing these posts.

  • Real Estate Broker · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2008 · 16 posts · 7 votes
    14y

    Steve, ditto on the previous replies. Thanks!

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2011 · 242 posts · 61 votes
    14y

    Nice work. Thanks.

  • Real Estate Investor · Los Angeles/Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2011 · 102 posts · 14 votes
    14y

    Thanks Steve Babiak, this is just the information I need!! I really appreciate your threads.

  • Investor · Copiague, NY · Member since 2012 · 19 posts · 4 votes
    14y

    Great thread, yes thank you Steve for the scripts you posted.
    Michelle

  • Real Estate Investor · Weston, WV · Member since 2012 · 15 posts · 0 votes
    14y

    Awesom

  • Investor · Columbus , OH · Member since 2010 · 311 posts · 51 votes
    14y

    Great job Steve!
    Keep up the good work
    Tracey

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    14y

    @steve. Im amazed that you catagorized all of these links. My only concern is that things change. As I've learned about sellers and time ive also learned that time causes change.

    Readers should consider change. What works today may not be appropriate tomorrow. And what works for one won't for another. Just read all and create your own script.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    14y

    Michael Quarles - I only had two rather broad categories there: motivational, and how to / what to say. I certainly agree that things change, and that's why I didn't say one thread was superior to any other. There are ideas and tidbits of value in all of them, and the reader has the exercise of identifying things they find valuable. Essentially, I just filtered things to a coarse degree, and readers will have to do any finer-grained filtering on their own. And that certainly means that as you said, each person should create what works for them.

    BTW - had your one thread that I mentioned above happened when I originally posted, it would have just been lumped in with the "what to say", as I believe you were pretty thorough in giving that.

  • New Bedford, MA · Member since 2011 · 34 posts · 7 votes
    14y

    Steve Babiak - Thank you! This is a great organization of conquering fear when speaking with sellers. This can feel like a very daunting task when just starting out.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y
  • Scranton, PA · Member since 2012 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Great post! Thanks for sharing!

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    13y

    Wow Steve, it's great to see someone keeping all this stuff organized!

    I saw the topic, but didn't re-read the threads, just a comment, IMO.

    I suggest you study what some might say, it will certainly give you points to cover and probably some info to use to counter objections or answer questions.....but,

    I'm pretty good at cold calls and IMO you need to say who you are and then ask if they have a moment or should you call back at a better time, they will usually say go ahead.....

    Be personable and compliment them in some manner....nice house with potential, whatever.....

    Get to the point and don't waste my time. Wondering if you would consider.....

    Lastly, do not read a script on the phone. Anyone with a brain can tell you are reading and it says....I don't know what I'm talking about and I have to read it!

    Anyone that calls me about anything and I realize they are reading a line to me, it's time to hang up!

    Memorize very short phrases, that's fine but mix it up with personal comments so it sounds as if you are discussing the subject and not reading a sales pitch.

    Just know your subject and practice it with friends and family who will put up with you. Good luck :)

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Bill Gulley:
    Wow Steve, it's great to see someone keeping all this stuff organized!

    ...

    Bill Gulley - I have a reputation at BP to uphold :)

    At least one of those links has some contributions from you BTW ...

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Steve. I think having a diary of posts is outstanding. My only concern is that dialog with sellers seems to change from season to season.

    Still awesome to have a recap.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y

    Michael Quarles - your contributions are included because you have put in situation specific things; you know one-size does not fit all when it comes to dealing with sellers. The nice part of this thread is that you can add commentary here to help out those who are still figuring this out. And you can also visit any of those links I provided to drop in your $0.02 worth (and straighten out any misguided souls at the same time)! I know that I] appreciate your sharing of your experience and expertise ... I suspect others do as well.

  • Forest Hills, NY · Member since 2012 · 26 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Thanks so much Steve!

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y
  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    Omg- Wow. Amazing

    Am I looking to get into wholesaling while I work

    Harder to get rid of bad debt. My question is can these scripts still apply to today?  I have printed them all. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2012 · 410 posts · 337 votes
    11y

    Good job keeping these upcoming threads!  Good post.  I agree with @Michael Quarles about the necessity to keep current in the market with regards to seasonal changes, or other financial factors!  You might consider adding the complimentary Scripts in The Marketplace if you update the post sometime again!   

    Looks great!  Thanks for your efforts to curate it!

  • Real Estate Broker · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2012 · 410 posts · 337 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Lutonya Johnson:

    Omg- Wow. Amazing

    Am I looking to get into wholesaling while I work

    Harder to get rid of bad debt. My question is can these scripts still apply to today?  I have printed them all. 

     Scripts apply through the versatility you apply to them.  Think of it like a dance.  A tango still means you put one foot one way, and another the other way while you move yet another.  

    A Professional tango dancer ALWAYS uses the SAME Steps EVERY time (Hence the Tango) and YET looks different than many of the others.  How?  By adding their personal touches to it (move the hip a certain way, smile a certain way, twirl a certain way). 

    Much like a professional salesperson using a script, the professional uses the questions in a script to help determine the motivation or qualification of a potential lead, however, you can  "personalize" a script to where it does not sound scripted at all.  

    I frequently record the calls that I do with Sellers, and my calls are scripted.  With time, patience, practice, an effort, you can learn to be an amazing "artist" with a script!    If you like, check out our blog for recordings, or The Marketplace on BiggerPockets to download a complimentary copy of Wholesaling Scripts FOR wholesalers, BY wholesalers, and About Wholesaling!   

    Best wishes! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.