Rural properties - what do you usually do?

Rural properties - what do you usually do?

Real Estate Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2008 · 7 posts · 1 vote

I have been running TV commercials that are pulling leads from all around my core area (Charlotte, NC). I have a lead for a home that is about 1.5 hrs. away. Here are the numbers:

ARV: $60-$65k (Has appraised in Aug. '08 for $74.9K) but it's difficult to find comps because it is in a rural area (not a neighborhood and about 5 miles outside of the city
Repairs: minimal; $5k (alot of updating took place in 2005)

I have negotiated this so far to $35k. It is listed with a realtor, so I will need to submit this through the realtor, but I have been negotiating directly with the seller, since she called from my commercial, she owns the home free and clear, as an inheritance this year.

I have talked to a couple of buyers around my core area, but no one really buys in that rural area. To make things more appealing, I have went back to the seller and let her know that because of the area, $25k - $28k is about the best I could do.

I am just curious how everyone here handles leads from very rural areas, where there are not great comps and there are not many buyers. Do you just stay away and try to buy where you have established buyers? If I can buy at $25k - $28k, I feel like there is a lot of potential.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

0Reply
24 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · North Canton, OH · Member since 2008 · 34 posts · 2 votes
    17y

    I would talk to the neighbors in that situation. They may know someone (kids, friends) that needs a home.Tell them you wanted to give them the first option as to who lives there. Make them feel involved and they may work for you without knowing it. Are you able to offer financing, because I find that to be a big thing right now. Offer it on land contract or lease option and get some income from it.

  • Residential Lender · Concord, NC · Member since 2008 · 1 post · 0 votes
    17y

    Hey Chris. I also live in the charlotte area. Where is your home located? It might be a good idea to talk to a good appraiser in the area to see how comps are typically handled there. In an area like that it might be normal to have comps within 5 to 10 miles...

    Chris

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    How rural is it and on how many acres. If it was at least 3-4 acres, I'd put an ad in Countryside or Backwoods Home magazine. They cater to modern homesteaders who want a place out in the country while driving distance to a city.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Tampa, FL · Member since 2008 · 403 posts · 109 votes
    17y

    I'd pass. Rural areas are deal-killers, as far as I'm concerned.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.