Personal Development

Becoming a Real Estate Mentor Changed My Business (& Personal) Life: Here’s How

Expertise: Business Management, Personal Development, Real Estate Wholesaling
become-mentor

When I was a child, all I wanted to do when I grew up was to become a teacher or an NBA basketball player.

At 6'0″ tall and with not much of a vertical jump, the NBA didn't have any spots for me, so teaching became the most reasonable option. Prior to my career in real estate, everything in my background was preparing me to be an educator. But once my path changed course, I never really had an outlet for it.

I have always had the heart of a teacher. When I see someone grow into the potential that I see inside of them, something comes alive within me.

In all the years that I have been a real estate wholesaler, I have never had the opportunity to use my gift as a teacher until I decided to step up as a mentor for someone else. I have to be honest—it has literally changed everything for me!

Becoming a Mentor

Last year, I was approached by a guy named Stephen Barton, who found me here on BiggerPockets. At first, he just had some basic questions for me since we were from the same area. Then one thing led to another, and Stephen ended up bringing me a deal that he wanted to partner on. From there, our relationship developed, and I was able to help guide him from knowing very little about this business to becoming a force to be reckoned with.

In today’s post, I want to address the benefits of stepping up as a mentor for others in the real estate industry. There are a ton of resources here on BiggerPockets addressing why newbies need to find a mentor, but there isn’t a lot addressing the mentor and how they can benefit from this kind of relationship.

Related: How to Rock at Finding a Mentor In Real Estate: The Definitive Guide

Mentoring has changed everything for my business. To tell you the truth, before Stephen my business was in a very stagnant and stale place. I was very comfortable simply doing everything the same way I had been doing it for years. And in a lot of ways, I was bored.

When we connected, he breathed new passion and life into my business. He brought a freshness and excitement that I can only compare to that of a child. My son Ethan is two years old, and since he is brand new to the world, the simplest things excite him. For example, if I give him a ball—it’s game over! He is laughing and so incredibly happy. And though it’s simple, when I see his excitement, it also gets me excited.

When I saw Stephen get excited about his first lead, then his first deal, then his first paycheck, it gave so much more meaning to my business. No longer do I run my business just for me, but now I do it for the success of others. It gives me such a sense of purpose.

A Mutually Beneficial Relationship

Real estate is an ever-evolving and changing business. Real estate investors like me love to do the same thing over and over again, but sometimes our practices end up not working as well as they used to. When Stephen and I first partnered, though he didn’t have as much direct real estate experience, he had a better handle on modern technology and improved practices for us.

When you bring on a new “mentee,” you bring fresh eyes to your business, and they can help you make it better. Technology has changed everything in our world. Bringing someone who is hungry under your guidance and direction in exchange for their knowledge of how to harness the power of modern technology can be extremely influential for your business.

Because they are hungry, they also will bring you new connections, new relationships, and new deals. Do you see how leveraging the excitement and passion of new aspiring investors can truly expand your and your business’s horizons?

Related: The Ultimate Guide to Finding Incredible Mentors

Conclusion

I have seen Stephen become something great this past year. Now he is skillfully flying on his own, and I currently have a new person I've taken under my wing. Since my connection with Stephen, I have decided always to have at least one person I am mentoring in the context of real estate. And today, I want to offer a challenge to all the experienced real estate investors to do the same thing.

If you feel as though your business or your life is stagnant and you are in need of a boost of passion, I encourage you to take on someone who is looking to get their start. I promise it will change everything, and more importantly, stepping up as a mentor is an incredible way to give back.

There is no better way to find fulfillment then to give back.

Investors: Have you ever mentored someone in real estate? Why did you choose to mentor, and what was your experience like?

Let me know with a comment!

Brett Snodgrass is CEO of Simple Wholesaling and has been a full-time real estate investor for 10+ years. He specializes in wholesaling, wholetailin...
    Shawn Holsapple Residential Real Estate Broker from Indianapolis, Indiana
    Good stuff!
    Brett Snodgrass
    Thanks Shawn. Brett
    David Villa from Huntington Park, California
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Awesome post!, always have felt the same way, I’m starting off myself and I hope I could find my mentor soon so I could one day satisfy the teacher in me.
    Anthony Davis Wholesaler from Charlotte, North Carolina
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Hey @DavidVilla I read your reply response to the article above earlier today. Just wanted to say that this platform is a great source of knowledge to get you going with real estate investing. I started out with Dean Graziosi who is reportedly worth over two hundred million dollars and one of the most CARING PEOPLE I know. CODY SPERBER is another wealthy individual who will also be genuinely interested in your success. Additional resources can be found at 888-480-6617.
    Brett Snodgrass
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Thanks David. Keep working at it, don’t quit… I hope you can find a mentor that will treat you right, and then in turn, you will do the same someday. Thanks for the comments. Brett
    Ryan Dossey Real Estate Broker from Indianapolis, IN
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Awesome! Keep up the good work.
    Brett Snodgrass Investor from Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks Ryan
    James R. Investor from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Great article! Kudos! There is something to “Paying it Forward” for sure!
    Brett Snodgrass Investor from Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks James, Very True. Brett
    Daniel Ryu Investor from Irvine, CA
    Replied about 5 years ago
    That’s a great attitude to have. I’ve consulted for others, mentored, given advice, gotten advice, etc. and it’s always been worth it. I’ve sometimes been disappointed by other people’s lack of follow up that I’ve helped, but that’s also made me more aware of what potential mentors want to see out of me when I ask for help. Overall, I think 3 great people to have in your network – Mentors who are several levels beyond you. I ask them perspective questions / wisdom building / big pictures advice. Or perhaps a very specific or technical question. Colleagues – those who are about my level. These are people I will do more brainstorming, ask for resources, etc. Very beginners – I try to offer as much encouragement and advice as to how to get over various obstacles they might face. I try to be specific in my advice to them. (Ie. Use this website and type in this command to get X results) The closeness of the relationship will also affect the type of questions I might ask. Should we set up a specific BP marketplace? Mentors seeking protégés? ^^ Maybe to help find the most qualified to be coached there could be an application process too. I’d apply ^^
    Brett Snodgrass Investor from Indianapolis, IN
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Great Idea Daniel, I think it’s tough for Beginners to approach a mentor thinking they will ask embarrassing questions, but the truth is, Mentors need “Mentees” just as much, because it helps us give back. That is a great suggestion “3 great people in your network”. I will take that to the heart and use it. I like the BP Marketplace Idea, if we can protect it from the “Guru” trying to sell a system for $997. Thanks again for your comments, I appreciate it.
    Andrew Syrios Residential Real Estate Investor from Kansas City, MO
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Often the more you give the more receive. Great article!
    Brett Snodgrass Investor from Indianapolis, IN
    This is very True Andrew, Thanks
    Maria Giordano Real Estate Investments from Gilbert, Arizona
    Replied about 5 years ago
    I’ve always given advice and have tried to help the new/beginner investor whenever possible. However, I never really mentored someone until this past year. I love real estate and it was really exciting to see it through the eyes of a beginner investor. The most rewarding part was taking her through the process because of the mentoring I gave her, this investor was able to close on a property. It breathed new life into my business and the rewards of seeing someone else succeed was terrific.
    Brett Snodgrass Investor from Indianapolis, IN
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Thanks for the Comment Maria, That is awesome exciting. I love to hear stories like this, I hope that your mentee and you have continued success. Thanks again! Brett
    Don Harris Realtor from Charlotte, North Carolina
    Replied about 5 years ago
    @Brett , your post is an example of, “give, and it will be given back to you”. Just think of the good improvement in the neighborhoods and lives of people that you buy from and sell to. Persevere!
    Brett Snodgrass Investor from Indianapolis, IN
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Thanks Don, I appreciate your comments. I love taking ugly homes or neighborhoods and helping them improve. Even if I don’t fix up the home myself, I try to sell to an investor whom I know will improve it. You are “Giver” as well, and I appreciate our business relationship and what you stand for. Thanks again for your comments. Brett
    Richard F. Real Estate Investor from Henderson, Nevada
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Brett, great to read this uplifting story. All the best for you and your family!
    Brett Snodgrass Investor from Indianapolis, IN
    Thank you Richard, Same to you & your family. Brett
    Brett Snodgrass Investor from Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks Richard, same to you and your family. Brett
    Ted Morrett General Contractor/REI from Indianapolis, IN
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Brett, Excellent way with words. You also inspire others. Great motivation for guys like me. Thank you for taking the time to write this. God Bless you and your family.
    Brett Snodgrass Investor from Indianapolis, IN
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Thanks Ted, God Bless you and your family as well. I appreciate your comments. Thanks, Brett