Reverse Mortgage Short Sales

Reverse Mortgage Short Sales

Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes

I'd like to hear from anyone who has successfully worked a short sale with a HUD insured reverse mortgage. Not all reverse mortgages are HUD insured, but in my farms easily 90% of RMs made during the Bubble were HUD insured.

The terms of the HUD insured deed-of-trust require that the loan is due and payable when the last borrower has died and/or is no longer living the property. The repayment terms are the lesser of 1) the amount due or 2) 95% of fair market value.

I'd like to hear from any agent or investor (or heir) who has shorted the lender in a typical short sale or worked with heirs in order to document FMV and then sell for 95%.

Most of the outstanding balances I'm seeing are in excess of typical Bubble refinancing balances. It's not unusual in my areas to see a $250K refinance in 2007 for a property now worth $100K. But the RM balances are much higher, more like a $350K line of credit for a similar property. It appears that the lines of credit were based on FMV at the time, plus projected appreciation and interest, based on how old you were when you took the loan.

Purchasing at 95% of current documented FMV may work for my purposes. But I'm seeing a lot of properties not held in a trust, which means heirs would have to pay to open a probate just to transfer title to a property with no equity. I've been contacted by a few and I'm just starting to strategize about what can be done.

Experiences? Suggestions? :)

0Reply
37 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    I have no experience on the short sale side, but they are very difficult to work with on the Reo side. I have had a few reverse mortgage foreclosures. The seller is usually extremely slow to respond Sbd they have strange requirements different from other Reo. Utilities can't be on, have to get appraisals every do often and they will raise the price if appraisal comes in higher.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Mark Ferguson:
    I have no experience on the short sale side, but they are very difficult to work with on the Reo side. I have had a few reverse mortgage foreclosures. The seller is usually extremely slow to respond Sbd they have strange requirements different from other Reo. Utilities can't be on, have to get appraisals every do often and they will raise the price if appraisal comes in higher.

    Interesting about reverse mortgage REOs. The ones I'm talking about are insured and would be HUD by the time they were REOS. As much as I don't like dealing with HUD, at least they have a lot of practice with liquidation.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    K Marie, I do short sales but haven't done RM's. On the short sale forums I participate in, RM's seem like they can actually be easier since there is no seller qualifying. Valuations through their BPO's, like anyone else can be problematic if they're excluding REO's and short sales as comp's, which some are doing. PM if you want to post there, or search for past RM discussions.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.