Cleveland , OH · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 2 votes
Hi folks,
A plot of farmland that my wife inherited is going to auction today and we would like to defer any capital gains with a 1031 exchange. Have I totally screwed up by not positioning ourselves for this prior to the auction. Can I still set up a 1031 after the sale and prior to closing, or have I missed my window??? Any help would be greatly Appreciated!
Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
8y
@Chad Walker if you don't have an intermediary in place when that sale executes then yep you're toast. It may not be too late. A good QI would need to get more specifics on the auction and how deed was transferring. But it might be possible. Check your PM box.
Cleveland , OH · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 2 votes
8y
@Johnny Borrelli It's kind of a convoluted situation. He passed away back in 2000 but my wife didn't take ownership of the property until 2015-ish. Regardless of all that, after a quick panic we got the issue of the 1031 ironed out. Thanks for chiming in though. Nice to know there are folks in these forums eager to offer assistance!
Well, it isn't as buttoned up as I thought. According to our lawyer we are okay, but we haven't had the chance to meet with our accountant yet, so I'm still a bit stressed.