Should I sell two houses to pay off one??

Should I sell two houses to pay off one??

Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
So here is my question... should I do a 1031 exchange on my rental property to buy a house that I could pay off after 2 years with the equity I have in my current home??? Currently I only cash flow about $250 a month on my rental property and if I sold It I could have about 150k to put down on another house. If I sold my current home I could walk away with about 300k. I could find a house that would fit my family’s needs for around 450k to 500k. I think it would be nice to not have a mortgage payment at the age of 34 but my worry is it might be smarter to have 2 homes vs 1 in 30 years. I know I have time to buy more property and I would be able to save a lot more money not having a mortgage payment. Thoughts???
0Reply
33 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8y

    @Mike Ackley there's a lot of personal choice in that line of thought but I think I can advance the ball a little.  A 1031 exchange is a sale of investment property followed by a purchase of investment property.  You cannot exchange into your primary residence. No you can always convert a rental into a primary residence but it takes some time.  So for a period of a year or two you're still going to have 2 houses regardless.  

    One thing to think about is that if you're contemplating doing a 1031 and buying a $500K investment and then converting that into your primary you will probably make even less than you are now on the investment house in the interim because you'll be trying to get investment cash flow out of a property that isn't best suited for investment use.

    It can certainly work but I sense a lot of other concerns than just the desire for a $500K primary residence.

    A lot depends on your geography but one option would be to do the 1031 and supplement with cash from the sale of your primary and purchase $500K of investment property free and clear.  You should be able to net 7% -8% in noi.  

    And I've seen $500K property's rent for $2500 a month.  So you could gain $35000 annually in noi plus appreciation plus tax write offs and exchange that for living in a $500K house for $2500 a month.  

    Some people hate the thought of renting.  But you can get a lot more house for your money at the upper end.  And you don't have to deal with the blue tarp of death like I'm looking at on my house right now with no rental income to offset the expense :(.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.