1031 money to pay off mortgage ?

1031 money to pay off mortgage ?

Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 4 votes

Sorry if asked before, but this just came up in conversation and I think I know the answer, but not 100%.

If for example I get 700k from a building (A) that I want to use 1031 Exchange and buy a building (b) that costs 2m, and I get a mortgage for 1.3m can I then sell another building (c) next year for 500k and take that money to pay off part of the 1.3m mortgage on building (b) ?

Assume the 700k and 500k is all Cap Gains and those are the total proceeds I receive from building A & C.  

(I'm a small owner in several buildings that are getting sold and I don't really have any control of, or know exactly when they're going to be sold.)

Thanks ! 

0Reply
12 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    @AS Chow, You can do that but not using a 1031 exchange on the second sale.  You would have to incur the tax on the $500 in order to use it to pay down the mortgage.  The 1031 exchange must be a sale of investment real estate followed by a purchase of actual investment real estate. You can't pay down mortgage on property you already own.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Financial Advisor · Manchester, NH · Member since 2017 · 97 posts · 68 votes
    7y

    @AS Chow Any proceeds from building C would be taxed if not used for an exchange. Since you own property b, an exchange into b is not allowed.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.