Who do you use as a 1031 Exchange Intermediary ?

Who do you use as a 1031 Exchange Intermediary ?

Real Estate Broker · Vero Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 79 posts · 36 votes

Hello Fellow Investors,

Who do you use for your qualified 1031 exchange intermediary ? I am searching for a qualified 1031 exchange intermediary for our personal investments as well as for my clients. I have found the company accruit www.accruit.com They appear to be very professional and legitimate.... Has anyone used this company before to complete their 1031 exchange? Your feedback & recommendations are greatly appreciated : ) 

Thank You All,

Derek Stalhut 

Multi- Family Investor & Real Estate Agent in Vero Beach Florida

3Reply
59 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Kansas City Metro · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y

@Derek Stalhut I would recommend @Dave Foster. He has been doing it for years and knows the ins and outs...he is also creative in what you can and cannot do. What area are you looking to exchange in to?

See this reply in the discussion

21 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Kansas City Metro · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Derek Stalhut I would recommend @Dave Foster. He has been doing it for years and knows the ins and outs...he is also creative in what you can and cannot do. What area are you looking to exchange in to?

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    5y

    @Derek Stalhut, Accruit is a very good company that has been around for a while.  They made their mark in personal property exchanges (heavy equipment, airplanes, etc).  And since personal property was excluded in 2018 they have pivoted to market more heavily in real estate exchanges.

    You're right to look for a dedicated intermediary company with a national footprint and longevity in the industry.  The thing you want o watch out for with any large company is to make sure you are assigned a senior consultant.  Your experience is only going to be as good as the performance and ability of the person you talk to on the phone.

    A lot of title companies will have a QI firm associated with them either legally or someone like us where we are not affiliated with them but they refer their business to us.  You can check with them.  And there are a several good QIs here on BP.  You can go to the reference section of their profile and actually interact with clients who have used them personally.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Vero Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 79 posts · 36 votes
    5y

    @Alex Olson Thank You for your referral Alex. Currently, we are working & investing on the treasure coast of FL (from Stuart to Sebastian)

  • Real Estate Broker · Vero Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 79 posts · 36 votes
    5y

    @Dave Foster Thank You Dave, That makes a lot of sense 👍 What is your contact information ? (so we can discuss more about your services) I appreciate the guidance. Derek

  • Investor · SC NC, VA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 756 votes
    5y

    Derek, I also use @Dave Foster

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    I'd use someone where you live so you can meet them.  Resume/history is crucial since 1031 QIs self-regulate and not any real certifications.

    Besides prior deals, I'd ask for financial wherewithal like some sort of bonding.

    I'd also ask about who is responsible if they give you bad advice, like wrong dates.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    5y

    @Derek Stalhut I used my local title company for this that had in-house capability for that. I sold and purchased through that title company and as a result there was no third party interaction required. For me that was easier, but if you are using a title company without that capability or buying and selling at two different title companies, consider a third party. @Dave Foster is worth checking out. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:

    @Derek Stalhut I used my local title company for this that had in-house capability for that. 

    OOC - Was it a national title company?  The ones here have no clue and do everything they can not to answer a question which is why I have a couple of non-title QIs I recommend.

    Maybe (like most weird stuff), it's just Portland :)

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Steve Morris:
    Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:

    @Derek Stalhut I used my local title company for this that had in-house capability for that. 

    OOC - Was it a national title company?  The ones here have no clue and do everything they can not to answer a question which is why I have a couple of non-title QIs I recommend.

    Maybe (like most weird stuff), it's just Portland :)

     No it is just local (Getty Midwest) and to my knowledge they are the only title company in my city has this service in-house. It may not be common.

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    5y

    @Derek Stalhut, I sent you a pm with my colleague request so we can talk off forum.  Gotta hear about the sailing environment in your neck of the woods these days.

    @Steve Morris, It's not just Portland (although that could be part of it :)   It's kind of a Goldilocks kind of thing.  The largest "corporate" companies got there by hiring to fill growth.  So the separation between the really knowledgable senior folk who know 1031 and the sale staff who interface with the clients just gets bigger  and bigger.  So you're experience isn't dependent on the quality of the company.  It's dependent on the quality of the sales person assigned to you.  And that can vary a lot - especially if there's a separation between them and the help and answers they need (which is what sounds like your case).

    But on the other side, a really small firm or an attorney who only does a few along with their other business lines doesn't have the depth of knowledge to help you.  So they're inventing the wheel while guiding you.  They can be the most responsive person in the world but without experience or the volume to get economies of scale it won't be a good or cheap experience for you.

    So you try to weed out too big and too small and find Just right - responsiveness and experience at a reasonable price. 

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y

    I am in the middle of my first 1031 exchange right now. I immediately called up @Dave Foster and signed on with Exchange Resource Group as soon as I knew I would need to go through with one.

    So far, it would be difficult to imagine a better, more capable Qualified Intermediary than Dave and his team.

    My real estate agent on the selling end claims 28 years of experience in the residential business -- yet this is his first 1031 exchange. My title company on the buying end has minimal experience with this (I think this is their third 1031 exchange) and is also shepherding the deal through as an FSBO. Having a rookie real estate agent on the selling end AND a largely inexperienced title company on the buying end handling a complicated transaction AND me as a newbie...if I had had a tentative QI who "kinda-sorta knows" what needs to be done, it would have significantly upped my stress levels.

    Feel free to contact me about this recommendation.

  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y

    I referred @Dave Foster to an investor client for her 1031 this fall. She was very impressed with Dave and his team and the 1031 went very smoothly. Plus one for Dave!

  • Investor · Ithaca, NY · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    @Derek Stalhut We've done a couple of 1031s with IPX. They've been easy to work with and the transaction rates are very reasonable.

  • Greg O'BrienBusiness Member
    Accountant · Boston, MA · Member since 2019 · 386 posts · 336 votes
    5y

    @Derek Stalhut highly recommend @Dave Foster as well. He is currently helping one of our clients

  • Sandra AndrewsPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 35 posts · 16 votes
    5y

    @stan Matusz  Do you know whether IPX does smaller transactions?  i.e. Less than $2 million?

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Dave Foster:


    So if the QI screws up a date and gives bad advice, who is responsible for penalties? I mean do you guys have E&O that large?

    NO I AM NOT IMPLYING ANY PARTICULAR QI HAS SCREWED UP - Just asking.

  • Real Estate Broker · Vero Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 79 posts · 36 votes
    5y

    Thank You All for the Prompt Replies ! Looks like you have a lot of fans Dave ! 

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    5y

    That's a very fair question @Steve Morris. Everything is contractually agreed upon and that contract (the exchange agreement) is the basis for any E&O claim. In the classes I teach on 1031 I emphasize that the QI should "guarantee" their exchange in the exchange agreement.

    Now what I don't mean is that they should guarantee the exchange passes any audit.  If a QI tells you that run away from them because they're just lying to get your business.  The QI doesn't know everything that's in your tax return and business practice to make a call like that - even your accountant is only going to give you degrees of risk.  

    But, the QI can certainly guarantee that your exchange will never fail because of the process they take you through or the documentation they provide.  Exactly the things you're talking about.  Make it contractual.  Make them guarantee their work on your exchange.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    OK, but a little more specific example.

    QI says that the ID deadline is 15 March, Friday.  However, QI screwed up and the 45 days should've been 13 March, Weds and seller misses the deadline and no-qualified.

    Who's responsible for lost opportunity, taxes, etc.?  I HAVE NEVER HEARD THIS HAPPENING, but I've been asked more than once.

  • Dave FosterBusiness Member
    Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    5y

    @Steve Morris, Zoooikes! if I sent out a letter to a client (as I do everytime) telling them in writing that March 15 was their deadline and it was really March 13 then my clients have an idiot for a QI. Because I didn't just give wrong information to one client. I can't count days. So all of my clients are getting bad information. Jinkies!!! Since we guarantee our work in the clients exchange - we'd be liable for an adverse outcome from that. And that's really what E&O insurance is for - remedy after the fact. It isn't protection from the bad actions of a bad QI. It just helps you clean up some of the mess after they screw up.

    But many (I almost want to say most but can't for sure) QIs will not do that.  They will want you to indemnify them from all liability for everything.  You have to read the contractual exchange agreement and understand where they are drawing the line at accepting responsibility.

    Hey, it's actually another Goldilocks situation :). If the QI is guaranteeing you everything then they are way too involved in your financial, accounting, and legal business to be either healthy or legal.  If they won't guarantee anything then there's probably a reason for their fear.  

    So you look for the just right QI - who guarantees their work as the QI and nothing more.  But who operates as an active team member with you to assist your other professionals and help you apply 1031 strategically to your actions.  There are so many ways to use it.  But you have to understand it.  And that's the QI's job.

    The 1031 Investor5137 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.