Realtor · Prince George's County, MD · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 6 votes
I am currently a realtor and also looking to form an LLC in the state of Maryland. Can I buy property in my home state of Ohio using that Maryland LLC or would I need to form another one in Ohio?
Rental Property Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
4y
The best structure for what you need is a series LLC. My attorney refers to that as a filing cabinet entity. You set up the "master" LLC in your preferred state and then put individual, local LLCs within the series LLC - like files in a cabinet - in the state that you own the property. You'll need to have a registered agent in that state, but there are loads of companies that offer that service for a very low cost.
Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
4y
@Marcus Amison, that is a question for a real estate attorney in the state you intend to buy property in.
However, I do believe its possible. I believe you are supposed to register your out of state LLC in each state that is does business in though. There may be costs associated. I'm not sure if it makes taxes more complicated or different either. I'm sure there are several factors to discuss with a lawyer.
Keep in mind that if something happens with the tenant (e.g. you need to evict them), owning the property by an LLC from a foreign state may not allow you to act on them. I suggest you check that with your local/home state lawyer.
I'm not a lawyer but I'm familiar with large-scale real estate investors purchasing properties in the state of New York using a Delaware LLC. I've encountered that more frequently than not.
Personally, I had one experience where my Lender wanted the LLC to be within the state where the property was being purchased. But that only happened one time.
Rental Property Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
4y
The best structure for what you need is a series LLC. My attorney refers to that as a filing cabinet entity. You set up the "master" LLC in your preferred state and then put individual, local LLCs within the series LLC - like files in a cabinet - in the state that you own the property. You'll need to have a registered agent in that state, but there are loads of companies that offer that service for a very low cost.
Attorney and Real Estate Broker · Madison, WI · Member since 2016 · 265 posts · 100 votes
4y
This is almost always doable. Generally the LLC owning property would need to register in the state the property is located if is is doing business there. State laws define what 'doing business in' for this purpose means. So, often enough the LLCs are not registered if they just own property rather than manage or something more involved. But nothing stops an out of state entity from buying in state property in my experience. The laws usually say the LLC owner cannot defend itself in a lawsuit and some other issues if it does not register. Also it would likely need a registered agent in state to properly handle a court process. That could cause issues with a lawsuit though possibly easily remediable ones.
Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2012 · 771 posts · 252 votes
4y
Typically yes you can do this. You can either form an LLC in the state where you're investing, or you can register the foreign (meaning out of state) LLC as a foreign entity with the state where you're investing. At least for Ohio, it typically makes more sense to form an Ohio LLC, but plenty of my clients use LLCs from other states for Ohio holdings too.
Why is is better to have an Ohio LLC? I live in New York and am looking at buying income properties in Ohio. Is it better to have a NY LLC and register it as a foreign entity or have the LLC in Ohio?
Speak with an asset protection attorney about what you're looking to do. You may not need an LLC at all if just starting out and insurance might get you all the coverage you need.
That said... it's common for properties to be held in an LLC that's in the same state as the property itself.
Regarding OH specifically, some good info on the OH secretary of state website:
CPA | Accepting new clients | 50 States · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 871 votes
2y
@Marcus Amison an LLC incorporated in Maryland can buy an investment property in Ohio.
Should you structure your real estate investments like this from tax and legal perspective? This is the question you should be asking.
.
.
*This post does not create a CPA-client relationship. The information contained in this post is not to be relied upon. Readers are advised to seek professional advice.
Attorney · Houston · Member since 2024 · 26 posts · 13 votes
2y
Typically, yes, but if I may ask, why form an entity in Maryland when buying property in Ohio? I see many investors form a Holding company in their home state and then set up out-of-state entities in the state where they're doing business. However, clarifying the long-term business objectives/strategy is key before finalizing your entity set-up. It also makes things easy when you have a system in place for scaling your portfolio.