Bought Bucket Truck for Rental Portfolio - Utilization Questions!

Bought Bucket Truck for Rental Portfolio - Utilization Questions!

Real Estate Investor · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2016 · 922 posts · 533 votes

Hello,

I'm writing this from central Iowa.  We have a growing rental portfolio currently of 6 properties.  

We have a couple other local landlords/investors here that are useful to bounce ideas around with.  

Over the last couple of years, we have evaluated several businesses as possible candidates to purchase - the idea being to diversify, but also to allow us some flexibility to capture some value with suppliers that we would be using anyways.  Some of the ones we've looked at have included: a granite shop, a cleaning business, and a tree trimming business.  

Most recently, I linked up with an individual with a very solid background in gutters and window/fascia wrap.  We also have a house under contract that has an especially tricky roof that needs installed, as well as quite a bit of tree trimming and some masonry work that will require someone to be off the ground significantly.  We felt that a bucket truck was justified, and purchased one about a week ago.  We have been able to put it to work immediately on a house that we are rehabbing.  We paid $3200 for it.  

We are thinking of forming a multi member LLC with an operating agreement that in a nutshell spells out something like:

  • Revenues OR Net Income Split (30% Owner Operator, 15% me/wife, 55% back into business)
  • Our rental operation gets 'close to cost' work from this new company that crosses over with gutters, fascia, soffit, and window wrapping.  We provide some commitment of baseload work for the fledgling company.
  • We provide material marketing / IT support as well as function as passive investors/advisors
  • Primary Sales and Operational Responsibilities fall on other Members (husband / wife duo)
  • Bucket Truck can be rented to our Rental Operation for $1/day if we give enough advanced warning of need, and we can rent it externally, as well.
0Reply
17 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2016 · 922 posts · 533 votes
    9y

    I forgot to mention, I'm looking for any / all relevant advice or experience for anyone that has been down a road like this.  Thanks much in advance!

  • Real Estate Investor · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2016 · 922 posts · 533 votes
    8y

    I am following up on this.  Partly to keep the thread alive but I've found others valuable when there's follow up over a long period of time.

    We have used this truck specifically for 2 projects, both of which would have been probably unfeasible without something like it.  

    I have found that I personally enjoy working in the bucket, especially doing tree trimming work.  It's far safer than working on ladders, and it also has some unbelievable storage space.

    On the possibility of the business arrangement per the previous post, we actually had a business arrangement gone bad, of sorts.  An individual that we had engaged on a small gutter project and been involved during the purchase of the truck - I had the outlook as essentially functioning as the 'capital provider' and going in together on a business - as he had gutter and exterior maintenance experience.

    Let's just say it was a bust.

    I'm not always the easiest person to get along with, but on two separate (and important, and close together occasions) I was essentially stood up by this 'soon to be partner.'  I wasn't overly impressed with the actual gutter work, either.  The resolution was a bit contentious and we actually got a nastygram facebook message from the individual's mother in law.  

    The truck is nice to have but we probably utilize it I would guess about 15-20% of the total time we've had it.

    We will be keeping it and selling off the old skid loader and box truck here soon, though.

    Will have to keep everyone posted on this!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.