Investing before 18, how can I sign contracts myself??

Investing before 18, how can I sign contracts myself??

Yonkers, NY · Member since 2017 · 506 posts · 95 votes
Hi everyone, my name is Michael I'm 14 years old and I live in New York. I was wondering if there was a way that I would be able to sign some contracts and do business at my age. I want to get into buy and holds, and eventually down the line when I build enough passive income get into some more risky business (flips) for greater rewards. But anyways, I was told that I can form a trust so I can do business and sign contracts, is this correct? If not, is there any other way that I can sign contracts myself and do business at my age? I have some experience working with other investors now I just want to know if I can work with myself with investing, is this possible at 14? Please help guide me, thanks!
0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8y

Not without considerable cost, you might be able to form an LLC or corporation, but I believe that you need someone over the age of 18 as a designated signatory for those vehicles. If you formed an LLC or Corporation and appointed a parent as designated signatory for the corporation that might work, but this is probably a question for an attorney rather than Bigger Pockets. Also I've had luck in the past with asking questions with the online chat feature for bizfilings.com

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Yonkers, NY · Member since 2017 · 506 posts · 95 votes
    8y
    Anybody have advice?
  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    Not without considerable cost, you might be able to form an LLC or corporation, but I believe that you need someone over the age of 18 as a designated signatory for those vehicles. If you formed an LLC or Corporation and appointed a parent as designated signatory for the corporation that might work, but this is probably a question for an attorney rather than Bigger Pockets. Also I've had luck in the past with asking questions with the online chat feature for bizfilings.com

  • Real Estate Agent/Investor · Peoria, AZ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Account Closed has stated. Find a local attorney and go from there on what needs to be done as this is something best left to legal professionals.

  • Yonkers, NY · Member since 2017 · 506 posts · 95 votes
    8y
    Bob Okenwa & Aaron Klatt do you guys have any idea roughly on how much this costs and if it would even be worth the money? Thanks for the replies!
  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    both cost about $500 minimum to set up and $800 per year depending on the state, whether or not it is worth it depends on what you do with it.  Also make sure you get legal advice regarding this as this would be a costly mistake if done incorrectly.

  • Yonkers, NY · Member since 2017 · 506 posts · 95 votes
    8y
    Aaron Klatt thanks I will look more into this!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.