Out of state LLC vs Home State and registering as foreign entity

Out of state LLC vs Home State and registering as foreign entity

Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes

2 Part Question:

Part 1)

I reside in SC, but have 1 rental in VA and 1 rental in GA. I'm looking at putting both of them in LLCs.
I was planning on a Ga LLC for the house in GA and a VA LLC for the house in VA.

VA attorney will serve as my registered agent for the VA LLC. I still need a principal business address. Attorney suggested a UPS mail box, but he said I'll still need someone to go and actually check for mail. This seems antiquated. I could ask my parents to occasionally check the mailbox, but would prefer to not involve them.

Haven't started the process on the GA rental yet, but I definitely don't have anyone there who can periodically cruise by a UPS box for me.

Q: How have other out-of-state property owners handled LLC business addresses?



​Part 2) ​
VA attorney alternatively suggested I transfer both the VA house and GA house to a SC LLC so that I could serve as my own registered agent and use my home address, thus saving money on agent and mailbox fees.

However, looks like I would still need an agent in VA once I register the SC LLC as a foreign entity. I would also still need a principal business address in VA. Haven't checked with GA yet. Seems like I wouldn't really be saving money, and also seems cumbersome having a SC LLC for rentals in other states.

Q) Has anyone else formed an LLC in their home state (or another state) for out-of-state rentals, and if so, why go that route instead of forming an LLC in the state where the rental property is located?

0Reply
38 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.