My 1st Real Estate deal

My 1st Real Estate deal

New to Real Estate 路 Sparks, NV 路 Member since 2017 路 12 posts 路 6 votes

The property is in Sparks Nevada right off Vista & Baring Blvd. It's the only 5 bedroom on the court. Previous owner purchased it as a 3 bedroom 1 bath house and constructed it into a 5 bedroom 2.5 bath property. Unfortunately, (how I heard it from my realtor) he was going through a divorce and his wife wanted to sell and move on. Husband wanted 450k for it but once COVID hit they agreed to put it on the market for 395k. We offered 375k, they countered and we purchased the property at 385k.

Quick backstory; I had moved out to Nevada from Sacramento May of 2020 and lived with my cousin off Robb drive. We both work for the same HVAC company and I persuaded him on the idea of purchasing a home together back in 2018. He has lived in Nevada for 3 years and told me as soon as I transition over we can start putting the plan into place.

Now back to the property. We applied for a mortgage and qualified for 1st time home buyer program and I saved up as much as I could just to cover any costs that may arise, my cousin did so as well. The terms we prequalified for going initially into escrow were going to cover the entire downpayment and some closing costs for an interest rate of 3.5% on a 30 year mortgage. All we were going to have to come out of pocket with was 7k altogether.

A week before closing our loan officer informed us we didn't qualify for the 1st time home buyer program due to us making too much money and that we needed to come up with the downpayment plus closing costs. The next day they called back and informed us that because of the inconvenience they will cover the closings costs if we can put up the downpayment. We were able to gather the 13,475 for an FHA loan and we closed on the property mid September. Purchase price was 385k, 3.2% on a 30-year fixed rate loan. Roof and AC were less than 4 years old and inspection checked out with no major issues. Only thing we needed was new carpet and interior paint. Our plan is to renovate kitchen and backyard to bring it to a more modern look.

It was a whirlwind of emotion but I remember telling myself to continue on until I'm told outright that we could NOT purchase the property. I've been listening to bigger pockets podcast, the real estate guys podcast and get rich education since 2016 just soaking up as much knowledge as possible. Now I'm in a position to take action and throw my hat into the game.

Thank you all for reading and if there's anything I can do to assist in your endeavors I would love to help in anyway possible. I'd be interested in joint ventures in Reno, NV area all the way to Sacramento, CA.

1Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor 路 Dallas, TX 路 Member since 2017 路 24 posts 路 51 votes
5y

Congrats Ismael!  I own 2 rentals in Sparks, NV myself.  If you do any additional handy-man/contractor type work, I'd like to connect as I require service from time to time!

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor 路 NH 路 Member since 2020 路 175 posts 路 75 votes
    5y

    Congrats! Hope it works out well for you guys, best of luck!

  • Investor 路 Dallas, TX 路 Member since 2017 路 24 posts 路 51 votes
    5y

    Congrats Ismael!  I own 2 rentals in Sparks, NV myself.  If you do any additional handy-man/contractor type work, I'd like to connect as I require service from time to time!

  • New to Real Estate 路 Sparks, NV 路 Member since 2017 路 12 posts 路 6 votes
    5y

    @Cole Britting Thank you Cole 馃檹 I hope this year brings you some solid opportunities.

  • New to Real Estate 路 Sparks, NV 路 Member since 2017 路 12 posts 路 6 votes
    5y

    @George Lui Thanks for reaching out George. I'm competent in servicing HVAC equipment and just recently started assisting in installs and startups. As for home renovations I'm completely new to it. I've been finding local contractors who do some work on the side to assist in most of the renovations. Had carpet installed and looking for someone to do some granite countertops at the moment. Only thing myself and my cousin have done are the wall cabinets and painting. But I do appreciate your time and I'll be sure to follow you on your journey so if there's any opportunities for a joint venture I'd be more than happy to consider anything in the area.

  • Member since 2020 路 104 posts 路 54 votes
    5y

    We all want to know what it rents for?

  • Investor 路 Dallas, TX 路 Member since 2017 路 24 posts 路 51 votes
    5y
    @Account Closed. No concrete dates, but at some point I was gonna revisit getting a multifamily asset the area (or nearby).  I'm looking to scale at some point.    I'm curious how you like the contractors you've used (or will be using) so far.  

    Congrats again!



    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @George Lui Thanks for reaching out George. I'm competent in servicing HVAC equipment and just recently started assisting in installs and startups. As for home renovations I'm completely new to it. I've been finding local contractors who do some work on the side to assist in most of the renovations. Had carpet installed and looking for someone to do some granite countertops at the moment. Only thing myself and my cousin have done are the wall cabinets and painting. But I do appreciate your time and I'll be sure to follow you on your journey so if there's any opportunities for a joint venture I'd be more than happy to consider anything in the area.

  • New to Real Estate 路 Sparks, NV 路 Member since 2017 路 12 posts 路 6 votes
    5y

    @Julius Chinn Chicken Thank you for the question, property is currently our primary residence. Saving up and conducting repairs with my cousin so that once the time comes we will have options to either sell or refinance and rent out. The numbers ultimately will be the deciding factor in our decision. But in the meantime we split everything down the middle for mortgage and repairs so it removes the entire burden for each of us having to do it alone.

  • New to Real Estate 路 Sparks, NV 路 Member since 2017 路 12 posts 路 6 votes
    5y

    @George Lui Thanks again for your time George. I'd be extremely interested in some multi family investing. I've come to love the practice of joint ventures, I think it's so beneficial so that no single person has to carry the entire burden of challenges. The contractor we used for the carpet gave us a price of $1800 for the entire house. 5 bedrooms, staircase and a hallway. He was a neighbor of my cousins. It was extremely reasonable compared to the quote we got from Home Depot contractor program $2800. And were still shopping around for the granite countertop install. But we're taking it one project at a time. I'll be sure to recommend any contractors that I have great experiences with. Other projects were looking into and obtaining quotes for:

    -Cementing an area of the backyard

    -Relocating a side gate further up towards the street

    -Insulating garage and putting up sheet rock

    -trimming large tree in front of the house

    These are just a few of the things we plan on doing within this next year. Thanks again and I'll be sure to get back to you with any info I can offer.

  • Multifamily Syndicator 路 Houston, TX 路 Member since 2016 路 1k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Account Closed Talk about learning and putting things into motion. 

    Happy you took the first steps! 

  • New to Real Estate 路 Sparks, NV 路 Member since 2017 路 12 posts 路 6 votes
    5y

    @Ola Dantis Thank you Ola, I truly appreciate that. Still more to learn but I'm excited for what's in store in the years to come.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.