Canadian Looking For US Financing

Canadian Looking For US Financing

New to Real Estate · Toronto, Canada · Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 8 votes

Hello! I am a new Canadian investor looking to run some BRRRR deals in the Cleveland Ohio area. I have chosen to invest in the US because I live in Toronto which is a notoriously unaffordable area with an atrocious cap rate and the rest of Canada doesn't fare particularly well either. I have heard of many Canadian investors that have become very successful investing in US real estate. In terms of my target area I have chosen Cleveland, Ohio because the cap rates are very good, starting costs are low, and growth potential is high.

I have approx 70k USD as starting capital and my plan is to find a distressed property in the Cleveland area, fix it up, rent it, then do a cash out refinance to get back most of my investment so I can repeat this process.

I will be setting up a corporation structure soon, and in the meantime I am going to be contacting lenders for pre-approvals, finding a property manager, as well as agents and wholesalers to help me find properties.

Does anyone have recommendation for lenders I can look into? I am looking for properties between the $40-150K range. I am also deciding between making the purchase with cash, or an initial mortgage. My reason to prefer cash is that I won't have to find a mortgage with no pre-payment penalties, and I think it will just make the refinance process simpler. If this worry is unfounded, I can increase my purchase price. 

One thing that I have heard is that I will have trouble finding a lender that will provide a mortgage for less than $100K. If this is the case I will have to buy a more expensive property anyway and rely on a cash-out refinance to get most of my capital back. I may even need a partner if I can't find an adequate first mortgage.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

6Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Miami, FL · Member since 2021 · 12 posts · 13 votes
4y

Hi @Eric Rosendale,

I recommend you get in touch with @Michal Liviatan Carpenter from Lendai | BiggerPockets to discuss financing options. Lendai is a fintech direct lender financing US properties for Canadian investors. 

Good luck in your new investment journey!

Tami

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Miami, FL · Member since 2021 · 12 posts · 13 votes
    4y

    Hi @Eric Rosendale,

    I recommend you get in touch with @Michal Liviatan Carpenter from Lendai | BiggerPockets to discuss financing options. Lendai is a fintech direct lender financing US properties for Canadian investors. 

    Good luck in your new investment journey!

    Tami

  • New to Real Estate · Toronto, Canada · Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    @Tamara Benyamini they look very promising, thanks! Looking into them…

  • Real Estate Agent · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2021 · 383 posts · 361 votes
    4y

    All of what you talk about is very plausible as an OOS investor. I don't honestly know much about Canadians investing in the US markets and all it's intricacies but I'm sure there's more than enough info here on BP to learn from. If you need any help or references I can give you everything that I've got. Shoot me a PM with anything you need.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 52 posts · 25 votes
    4y

    Hey Eric,

    Fellow Canadian here as well, would you be open to speaking with Hard Money lenders? If so, be happy to share my contact & experiences.

  • Financial Advisor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2021 · 141 posts · 58 votes
    4y

    Hey @Eric Rosendale I've seen loan programs for foreign investors with-or-without US credit, although you would need to have a U.S. bank account established. I've come across lenders who offer short-term (fix & flip) loans with something along the lines of 3-months guaranteed interest required -- contrary to the pre-payment penalty based on a % of the loan amount for a specific number of years.

  • New to Real Estate · Toronto, Canada · Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 8 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Johnson Yu:

    Hey Eric,

    Fellow Canadian here as well, would you be open to speaking with Hard Money lenders? If so, be happy to share my contact & experiences.


     Hi Johnson,

    Yes it looks like a hard money lender is my best bet so I'd love to hear your experiences using them from Canada. I'm hoping to make this work with long term rentals from BRRR deals so I need to be able to get a cash-out refi with a reasonable interest rate.

  • Investor · Toronto · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 8 votes
    3y

    RCN Capital or RBC 

  • Real Estate Agent · Boise, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 888 votes
    3y

    @Eric Rosendale I did a deal with some clients from France in Idaho with @Grant Schroeder w/ Academy if you go the traditional Mortgage route I would hit him up as he made the process very smooth for my clients and me.

    If you go the buying cash route you can always look into a LOC afterwards.

  • Abbotsford, BC · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Johnson Yu:

    Hey Eric,

    Fellow Canadian here as well, would you be open to speaking with Hard Money lenders? If so, be happy to share my contact & experiences.

     Hey @Johnson Yu, 

    I'm also a Canadian looking for hard money lenders, would you be open to share your contacts?

  • Abbotsford, BC · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Patrick Michael S.:

    RCN Capital or RBC 

    @Patrick Michael S. will RCN Capital offer financing to Canadians without US credit? Based on the website it looks like you need to have US credit. 

  • Lender · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2019 · 99 posts · 64 votes
    3y

    @Eric Rosendale

    Many hard money lenders have loan programs for non-us citizens and some of them aren't credit lenders, i.e. no credit check so credit is irrelevant (whether you have it or not, or whether its good or not good). Generally you'll need a US tax id number and a US bank account for the tax id number. For example, you need a US LLC and the US LLC with the US tax id opens a US bank account. With this structure, you should have zero problem getting hard money.

  • Grant SchroederPro Member
    Lender · OR ID AZ CA WA CO NV TN MT · Member since 2018 · 598 posts · 312 votes
    3y

    Thank you for the shoutout @Chris Davidson! Appreciate you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.