Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Jim L.
Votes |
Performing my own title checks

Jim L.
Posted Jan 10 2023, 15:18

Is there a simple way to do a free title search online?  There are many properties and foreclosures I am curious about and want to get an idea of what is owed on the property but don’t want to pay every time I am intrigued by a property.  I’ve been looking up some county assessor sites with no luck. Any help would be great. 

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Sobilo#1 Legal & Legislation Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Votes |
Kevin Sobilo#1 Legal & Legislation Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Hanover Twp, PA
Replied Jan 10 2023, 15:40

@Jim L., the answer is no.

First off a title search is meant to identify issues with the title not necessarily what is owed on a mortgage.

You can often guesstimate whats left on the mortgage by looking up the sale price and making a few assumptions about down payment and plug into a mortgage calculator and look at the amortization table.

Keep in mind as a property goes to foreclosure they tack on a bunch of fees/costs so the amount the lender will claim they are owed could be substantially more.

Also, keep in mind that a title search would look at a LOT more than a mortgage. For example if the owners have passed away inheritance taxes (state dependent) may be owed.  There are MANY kinds of issues that can affect title to a property and there isn't one simple way to look them up that is why paying someone to research and evaluate the title is actually a worthwhile thing at some point. You may choose to skip doing one up front but I suggest learning about all of the potential risks before you do.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 10 2023, 20:53

You would have to do your own, they can take days to do. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes