HELOC vs HELoan. Anyone have tips for using equity on a primary?

HELOC vs HELoan. Anyone have tips for using equity on a primary?

Rio Hondo Tx · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 0 votes

Hi there

I have primary residence that I would like to access its equity to begin my first RE investment. I have came across HELOCs and HELoans but not sure which would benefit me best?

I am leaning towards the BRRRR method or traditional LR once the right property comes across.

I have researched both but still not sure which of those 2 would benefit me best or if it even matters.

Just would like tips on this topic if anyone has any?

Thanks

0Reply
67 views

Most Popular Reply

Kerry BairdPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
2y

HELOC is best for short term money, because the interest rates are adjustable, while the second mortgage is a fixed rate for a period of time. I like them for an emergency fund, if I have over-runs with a renovation. I prefer this to using one for a down payment. Impossible to tell which would benefit you most.

I have found that lenders value the house in different ways; one is a full appraisal and the other is an automatic valuation…my credit union did a "drive by" valuation. Figure offers a quick HELOC, which we thought we'd get…but our DTI (debt to income) was too high. We also used PenFed for a HELOC, and that went well.

Tips: pull your own FICO score and call the local community banks and credit unions near you and ask what rates and terms they offer with a FICO like yours.  Make a table and compare, as interest rates and years of fixed vs variable rates will be all over the place.  Navy Federal has the longest draw and pay back period I have seen, whereas my local credit union has a very short draw/repayment period.  

Figure out what works best for your own situation.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    HELOC is best for short term money, because the interest rates are adjustable, while the second mortgage is a fixed rate for a period of time. I like them for an emergency fund, if I have over-runs with a renovation. I prefer this to using one for a down payment. Impossible to tell which would benefit you most.

    I have found that lenders value the house in different ways; one is a full appraisal and the other is an automatic valuation…my credit union did a "drive by" valuation. Figure offers a quick HELOC, which we thought we'd get…but our DTI (debt to income) was too high. We also used PenFed for a HELOC, and that went well.

    Tips: pull your own FICO score and call the local community banks and credit unions near you and ask what rates and terms they offer with a FICO like yours.  Make a table and compare, as interest rates and years of fixed vs variable rates will be all over the place.  Navy Federal has the longest draw and pay back period I have seen, whereas my local credit union has a very short draw/repayment period.  

    Figure out what works best for your own situation.

  • Rio Hondo Tx · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    2y

    @Kerry Baird

    Thank you for your response. I will begin to look around.

  • Jerome MorelosPro Member
    Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 205 posts · 88 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Kerry Baird:

    HELOC is best for short term money, because the interest rates are adjustable, while the second mortgage is a fixed rate for a period of time. I like them for an emergency fund, if I have over-runs with a renovation. I prefer this to using one for a down payment. Impossible to tell which would benefit you most.

    I have found that lenders value the house in different ways; one is a full appraisal and the other is an automatic valuation…my credit union did a "drive by" valuation. Figure offers a quick HELOC, which we thought we'd get…but our DTI (debt to income) was too high. We also used PenFed for a HELOC, and that went well.

    Tips: pull your own FICO score and call the local community banks and credit unions near you and ask what rates and terms they offer with a FICO like yours.  Make a table and compare, as interest rates and years of fixed vs variable rates will be all over the place.  Navy Federal has the longest draw and pay back period I have seen, whereas my local credit union has a very short draw/repayment period.  

    Figure out what works best for your own situation.


     How was your experience with Penfed? What terms did you end up getting? Do they have high fees? I was looking into them.

  • Jerome MorelosPro Member
    Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 205 posts · 88 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Matthew Trevino:

    Hi there

    I have primary residence that I would like to access its equity to begin my first RE investment. I have came across HELOCs and HELoans but not sure which would benefit me best?

    I am leaning towards the BRRRR method or traditional LR once the right property comes across.

    I have researched both but still not sure which of those 2 would benefit me best or if it even matters.

    Just would like tips on this topic if anyone has any?

    Thanks


    I took out a fixed rate HEloan on my primary back in mid 2022 to do a garage-conversion ADU. I decided to go with a fixed rate HEloan over a HELOC because at the time, interest rates were rising and I knew that the rents can more than cover the fixed payments. I ended up locking in a 6% fixed rate and I'm glad I did because my interest rate would have doubled if I went with a HELOC. But just as Kerry mentioned, HELOC should be used as a short term loan due to variable interest rates. So be sure to have a clear exit strategy.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.