Specialist · Member since 2025 · 483 posts · 270 votes
11mo
Great starting point, yes—then pair it with action. Skim the guide to learn the basics, pick one simple strategy like cash‑flow rentals, and set a buy box so you know what you’re hunting. Quick story: we left our jobs by doing exactly that, one steady deal at a time, not chasing everything. Next step: analyze five listings today using your buy box and write down three questions you can’t answer yet.
Realtor · Willow Grove, PA · Member since 2017 · 984 posts · 643 votes
11mo
Hi @Andrew Antosh welcome and nice to meet you! Yes, starting BiggerPockets “Ultimate Beginner’s Guide” is a solid place to star, it gives you a broad, clear overview of how real estate investing works, its different strategies, financing options, and what to look out for. What’s equally important is pairing that reading with action: try analyzing a real property (even just for practice), get familiar with your local market, and keep asking questions. That way the guide doesn’t just stay theoretical, it leads to progress.
New here! Is the ultimate beginner guide a good area to start learning about real estate?
Hey Andrew, welcome to BiggerPockets!
Yes — The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide is hands-down one of the best places to start. It gives you a solid foundation on the different real estate strategies (buy & hold, flipping, BRRRR, etc.) and helps you figure out which one aligns best with your goals and resources.
Once you go through it, I'd also recommend checking out a few forum threads here that match your interest — for example, if you're drawn to short-term rentals, BRRRR, or house hacking. You'll pick up a lot from real investors sharing real experiences.
I’m William Thompson, a Real Estate CPA & Tax Strategist, and I often help new investors set up the right structure from day one to avoid costly mistakes later. So if you ever want a quick roadmap on how taxes and structure fit into your investment journey, I’m happy to point you in the right direction.
What kind of investing are you thinking of starting with?
Specialist · Member since 2025 · 483 posts · 270 votes
11mo
Great starting point, yes—then pair it with action. Skim the guide to learn the basics, pick one simple strategy like cash‑flow rentals, and set a buy box so you know what you’re hunting. Quick story: we left our jobs by doing exactly that, one steady deal at a time, not chasing everything. Next step: analyze five listings today using your buy box and write down three questions you can’t answer yet.
Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11mo
Yes it is. In addition, I'd recommend you learn how to underwrite and find good properties in good areas. There's a lot to learn so try to immerse yourself as much as possible!
Like Deni said, the Ultimate Beginner Guide is a good starting point. But it mostly focuses on active investing.
I didn't realize passive investing was an option when I first started out. I bought a bunch of rental properties in my 20s, only to make a lot of expensive mistakes, and realize I hated being a landlord.
Today I invest passively, in a mix of private partnerships, real estate syndications, equity funds, and private notes. I invest $5K every month as a member of a co-investing club, where we meet to vet deals together.