New landlord dealing with difficult tenants

New landlord dealing with difficult tenants

Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 2 votes

Hi Biggerpockets, I've been a landlord for a few months now and I've been dealing with a tenant who reaches out constantly asking for this and that and I've complied with things that make sense but she is also very demanding and it makes conversations difficult to manage. Do you happen to have any resources on how to deal with difficult tenants and what I should provide or what I actually have to fix?

Thank you very much and I appreciate any feedback,

2Reply
115 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    10mo

    @Gerardo Alvarado

    hello - i would hire a PM

    good luck

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    10mo

    Do an inspection and go through the list to see what needs to be fixed and deal with those.  Anything else, leave.  then learn to tell them no.

    Also depending where you are, you can also not renew their lease.  But first find out if it is a case of a demanding tenant or if the property has deferred maintenance and the problems are real.

    • Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 2 votes
      10mo

      @Theresa Harris thank you Theresa, I'll go ahead and do that. I know that there were certain things that needed fixing but then others are requests and I just had a difficult time differentiating between the two. 

  • Specialist · Member since 2025 · 483 posts · 270 votes
    10mo

    You’re not alone; every landlord hits this. Set clear lanes now: respond fast to life‑safety and habitability issues, batch non‑urgent cosmetic items, and push back on tenant‑caused or convenience requests. Point her to the lease and local habitability standards, require all requests via one channel, and reply with written triage: urgent, next scheduled visit, or tenant responsibility. Document everything with time‑stamped notes and photos, and use a monthly “all‑at‑once” maintenance visit to knock out minor items efficiently. If noise continues, schedule a calm expectations call, recap in writing, and enforce the lease. If you’d rather not be the buffer, hire a solid PM with clear SOPs and reporting.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.