New Agent, Big Goals — What Would You Do?

New Agent, Big Goals — What Would You Do?

Realtor · Valdosta, GA · Member since 2026 · 8 posts · 7 votes

Hi everyone,

I’m just starting my real estate career (25 years old) and would love some advice from people who’ve already navigated the early stages.

I’m about to begin working full-time as a real estate agent in Valdosta, GA, and my plan is to grind hard, live lean, and treat this like a business from day one. The long-term goal for my partner and me is to relocate to Miami and retire in the next 10-15 years, but I want to do that responsibly — without overleveraging or undoing progress.

For context: I live with my partner in a house he owns. We're renovating it to become a short-term rental and plan to move into his camper once it's live (targeting ~3–4 months). He's a machinist with plans to start a flipping/construction business once the STR covers the mortgage.

As I start earning commissions, I’m trying to figure out the smartest way to allocate money between:

- maintaining personal cash flow and stability

- investing as soon as it’s reasonable

- avoiding lifestyle creep

- keeping flexibility for a future move

    For those who started as agents or built active income first:

    - How did you decide when to start investing vs holding cash?

    - What did you prioritize early (rentals, flips, house hacking, partnerships)?

    - How much liquidity did you keep before your first deal?

    - Anything you wish you’d done differently with early commissions?

      I’m not trying to rush — just be intentional. Appreciate any insight.

      2Reply
      179 views

      Most Popular Reply

      Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
      Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      7mo

      You're asking the right questions. From a tax perspective, I'd look to make sure you set up your entity the best way for you. Often times, that's a single member LLC as that provides the most flexibility.

      Also, if you make real estate commissions, you'll be paying ordinary income taxes, self employment tax, and Georgia tax so setting aside monies for taxes is absolutely crucial. As a round number, I'd set aside 30% in taxes as a baseline.

      See this reply in the discussion

      6 Replies

      Jump to latestLatest
      • Lender · Southwest Georgia · Member since 2017 · 312 posts · 278 votes
        7mo

        Congratulations on the start of your journey! I am not an agent, but Valdosta is a great market to get started in as an investor. 

        Because you are in a "eat what you kill" career, it is important to put away enough cash to cover 6 months of expenses at least. Then after that I would work on saving up $30,000 to start investing. I know there are a lot of other aggressive ways to start, but this market is not a time to be aggressive, it's to be tactical. $30,000 will give you enough for down payment, closing costs, and other startup costs to get rolling. 

        I am biased towards long term rentals, but since you are already working on the STR I would focus on that and become an expert at that then decided if you want to pivot into another asset class.

        Just my two cents, but congratulations none the less! 

      • Bo SmithPro Member
        Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
        7mo

        Smart approach starting lean and thinking systems from day one. One thing that saved me early on: track your agent activity obsessively, not just closed deals. Calls made, listings visited, follow-ups sent daily. Most new agents focus on the wrong metrics and burn out when deals don't come fast enough. The activity numbers predict everything else. Are you planning to track daily activities or just wait for commissions to roll in?

      • Joey BanasihanPro Member
        Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2019 · 233 posts · 188 votes
        7mo

        Hi @Autumn Wibright - agent and investor here! Your goal and mindset is a good start, but I would be remiss if I didn't share some honest thoughts.  The first 18-24 months is the most important time for new agents, because this is where you will learn what your tolerance/threshold levels are for failure and doing boring/uncomfortable things.  Those who succeed as agents are able to do boring, uncomfortable, inconvient, and basic things for a longer period of time than everyone around them. Before we even talk investing, its important to understand that it could take you 18 months to get your first commission - and are you willing to keep going even after that? I think you can do it! But its an unfortunate reality for many agents starting off and hopefully it can both ground you and motivate you.

        In regards to investing, if you are able to qualify and once you have a hang for the STR - I would be house hacking your way to financial freedom (this is what my wife and I do). If you want financial independence in 10-15 yrs, you are probably looking at a higher risk/higher reward strategy such as STRs. Put as little money as you can down, put your liquid cash towards forcing equity via renovations, then towards amentities and furnishings, approach STRs like a hospitality business rather than a real estate business, and repeat. You can also do this via LTR and do the live-in BRRRR method.

        The power of real estate is time, not speed. Take reasonable risk with reasonable action, learn as you go, and be willing to adapt and change as you grow.  Happy to chat about so much more if you'd like, just DM me!

      • Realtor · OH · Member since 2026 · 122 posts · 77 votes
        7mo
        Quote from @Autumn Wibright:

        Hi everyone,

        I’m just starting my real estate career (25 years old) and would love some advice from people who’ve already navigated the early stages.

        I’m about to begin working full-time as a real estate agent in Valdosta, GA, and my plan is to grind hard, live lean, and treat this like a business from day one. The long-term goal for my partner and me is to relocate to Miami and retire in the next 10-15 years, but I want to do that responsibly — without overleveraging or undoing progress.

        For context: I live with my partner in a house he owns. We're renovating it to become a short-term rental and plan to move into his camper once it's live (targeting ~3–4 months). He's a machinist with plans to start a flipping/construction business once the STR covers the mortgage.

        As I start earning commissions, I’m trying to figure out the smartest way to allocate money between:

        - maintaining personal cash flow and stability

        - investing as soon as it’s reasonable

        - avoiding lifestyle creep

        - keeping flexibility for a future move

          For those who started as agents or built active income first:

          - How did you decide when to start investing vs holding cash?

          - What did you prioritize early (rentals, flips, house hacking, partnerships)?

          - How much liquidity did you keep before your first deal?

          - Anything you wish you’d done differently with early commissions?

            I’m not trying to rush — just be intentional. Appreciate any insight.




            @Autumn Wibright. Congrats on starting your journey!

            Here’s what I’d focus on early:

            1. Build stability first. Real estate commissions are inconsistent. I’d keep at least 6–12 months of personal expenses saved before jumping into investments. That cushion gives you confidence and negotiating power.

            2. Reinvest into your income before assets. Early on, your best ROI is usually growing your production—marketing, systems, branding, lead gen. A stronger commission pipeline beats rushing into a thin deal.

            3. Avoid lifestyle creep aggressively. First big commission checks disappear fast if you let them. Pick a fixed “owner’s pay” and invest/save the rest.

            4. Start with something simple. When you do invest, a small rental or house hack is usually smarter than a complex flip while you’re building your sales career.

            If I could redo early years, I’d keep more liquidity and focus harder on building predictable income before chasing deals. Income solves most investing problems.

            You’re not trying to rush—that’s the right mindset. Stack cash, grow production, then buy strong, not just fast.



          • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
            Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
            7mo

            You're asking the right questions. From a tax perspective, I'd look to make sure you set up your entity the best way for you. Often times, that's a single member LLC as that provides the most flexibility.

            Also, if you make real estate commissions, you'll be paying ordinary income taxes, self employment tax, and Georgia tax so setting aside monies for taxes is absolutely crucial. As a round number, I'd set aside 30% in taxes as a baseline.

          • Jonathan SmallPro Member
            Investor · Suwanee, GA · Member since 2020 · 182 posts · 151 votes
            7mo

            Congrats on jumping in — big goals are good.

            If I were starting, I’d focus on 3 things: daily lead generation, tight underwriting skills, and building relationships with small local investors. The agents who win long term understand investor math, not just comps.

            I invest in Valdosta and have seen how market knowledge + consistent follow-up compounds fast. Happy to share what’s worked (and what hasn’t) in my experience.

            If you want to talk strategy or bounce ideas around, feel free to DM me.

          Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.