How I Saved for a 2nd Property at 23

How I Saved for a 2nd Property at 23

Jake AndronicoBusiness Member
Realtor · Reno, NV · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 938 votes

I bought my first property at 22.

And no, it wasn’t some overnight success story.

I was waiting tables at the Ritz-Carlton in Lake Tahoeand my parents were gracious enough to co-sign.

I’m extremely lucky, and I’ll always be grateful for that help.

To make it work…I slept in 1 bedroom and rented out the other 4 bedrooms to UNR (University of Nevada, Reno) students.

House hacking before I even knew what house hacking was.

But renting rooms wasn’t the only thing I did.

One of the best side hustles I still believe exists?

Flipping electronics on eBay.

Here was my schedule for over a year:

• Thrift stores + Facebook Marketplace in the morning

• Waiting tables typically from 11am–7pm

• Listing items, packing, and shipping orders until around midnight with free packing material I got (with permission) from the Ritz Carlton recycling bins. 6 days per week.

No glam.

No shortcuts.

No watches or cars or clubs.

Just consistent effort.

That grind allowed me to save $45,000 in 15 months.

That’s:

• ~$3,000 per month

• ~$100 per day

Small numbers.

Every day.

Stacked over time.

Because of that season, I was able to buy my second property.

Not because I was special.

Not because I was smarter.

But because I was willing to trade comfort for progress, temporarily.

The internet still offers a ridiculous amount of opportunity.

But it also offers an equal amount of distraction.

One of my favorite quotes says it perfectly:

“It’s never been easier to win, but it’s also never been easier to do absolutely nothing.” - Alex Hormozi

If you’re early in your journey, remember this:

You don’t need a perfect plan.

You need momentum.

Chip away at the goal.

Every single day.

It adds up faster than you think.

P.S. What’s been a good side hustle for you? 

S.0200197

3Reply
104 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2026 · 3 posts · 3 votes
7mo

Hey Jake I love your story man. It speaks to what hustle and dedication can get you over the long haul!!!

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2026 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    7mo

    Hey Jake I love your story man. It speaks to what hustle and dedication can get you over the long haul!!!

    • Jake AndronicoBusiness Member
      OP
      Realtor · Reno, NV · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 938 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @Garrett Williams:

      Hey Jake I love your story man. It speaks to what hustle and dedication can get you over the long haul!!!

      Thank you so much Garrett!! Means a lot. 
  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7mo

    Congrats man thats awesome! Will set you up well for later in life. 

  • G. Brian DavisPro Member
    Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 854 votes
    7mo

    Love the transparency here. My no glam season involved a lot of trial and error (mostly error!) Back in the early 2000s, I did something similar with my first rentals, it wasn't pretty, but it was the foundation for everything I've built for my Co-investing club. I respect the grind!"

    • Jake AndronicoBusiness Member
      OP
      Realtor · Reno, NV · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 938 votes
      7mo
      Quote from @G. Brian Davis:

      Love the transparency here. My no glam season involved a lot of trial and error (mostly error!) Back in the early 2000s, I did something similar with my first rentals, it wasn't pretty, but it was the foundation for everything I've built for my Co-investing club. I respect the grind!"

      Good for you man!! Sometimes it's not pretty to build the foundation, but so glad I did now!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.