Possible First Time Off Market Reach Out

Possible First Time Off Market Reach Out

oklahoma city, OK · Member since 2025 · 31 posts · 16 votes

Hi, I am Brandi and I have one rental property that is within 4 months of being paid off (was my first home). There is approximately $200k in equity available.  My plan for next purchase was to focus on buying a duplex, maybe withdrawn around $110k out to be a large down payment and/or update next property.  There is a house couple blocks from me that looks like it could use little work on the outside and I learned that the owner has moved to a retirement living center and family is keeping up with the upkeep. I don't even remember ever seeing a car in driveway. I have never reached out to anyone off market before but I feel like this could be a good deal. How do you approach this? what do you say? what if they say they are interested in selling, whats next?   or do I just focus on original plan and look for duplex. 

0Reply
91 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2011 · 875 posts · 394 votes
5mo

Once you get a hold of the owner, simply ask them if they have considered selling. If they say yes, then you can either give them a offer right there if you already know it. Or tell them you will get back to them with a price. If you are looking for duplex's, my friend is a builder in Oklahoma city. He builds brand new affordable duplex's in places like Lawton, Chickasha, Guthrie, etc. They are great for long term rentals. I think they start around $300K.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2011 · 875 posts · 394 votes
    5mo

    Once you get a hold of the owner, simply ask them if they have considered selling. If they say yes, then you can either give them a offer right there if you already know it. Or tell them you will get back to them with a price. If you are looking for duplex's, my friend is a builder in Oklahoma city. He builds brand new affordable duplex's in places like Lawton, Chickasha, Guthrie, etc. They are great for long term rentals. I think they start around $300K.

    • oklahoma city, OK · Member since 2025 · 31 posts · 16 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Aristotle Kumpis:

      Once you get a hold of the owner, simply ask them if they have considered selling. If they say yes, then you can either give them a offer right there if you already know it. Or tell them you will get back to them with a price. If you are looking for duplex's, my friend is a builder in Oklahoma city. He builds brand new affordable duplex's in places like Lawton, Chickasha, Guthrie, etc. They are great for long term rentals. I think they start around $300K.


       Nice. Im looking around $300k. Probably in more like Piedmont, Mustang, Yukon or in OKC backyard.

    • Specialist · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2011 · 875 posts · 394 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Brandi Smith:
      Quote from @Aristotle Kumpis:

      Once you get a hold of the owner, simply ask them if they have considered selling. If they say yes, then you can either give them a offer right there if you already know it. Or tell them you will get back to them with a price. If you are looking for duplex's, my friend is a builder in Oklahoma city. He builds brand new affordable duplex's in places like Lawton, Chickasha, Guthrie, etc. They are great for long term rentals. I think they start around $300K.


       Nice. Im looking around $300k. Probably in more like Piedmont, Mustang, Yukon or in OKC backyard.

      Well, I'm happy to connect you with my friend who builds there. He also gets fixer uppers from time to time.
  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5mo

    I would just be upfront with the owner. Looks at comps and see what fixed up is, offer within what is reasonable but still enough meat on the bones. On the initial call I'd get an idea of if they'd sell, price, and accessing. From there once you view give him an offer, you can include a inspection contingency or skip to strengthen the offer. 

  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2026 · 43 posts · 10 votes
    5mo

    Reaching out always is the right thing to do. My mother told me when I was young that a closed mouth doesn't get fed. I think reaching out and wording what you are going to say in a way that solves an issue for them is key. People want to ultimately know how they can benefit from situations like that. Bring up on going taxes, landscaping, utilities, any HOA, etc... Good luck

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.