Short Term Lease Withholding

Short Term Lease Withholding

Investor · Smithsburg, MD · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 1 vote

A friend of mine is leaving the country for 2-5 years. He has a little 3/1 with considerable equity. He's considered selling but he doesn't trust himself with all all that money cashed out. Knowing that I am getting into Real Estate, he asked me if I would be interested in "borrowing" the property from him while he was gone.

So I'd imagine this would be a lease arrangement. Rents are around $1400 in the area and he only needs about $600 to cover his existing mortgage. 

1. Does anyone see any obvious red flags? 

2. How would you factor in holding money back for repairs & capital improvement? 

The "normal" rule of thumb for those categories seem to be about 50% which would make this deal not profitable but that somewhat assumes you will have the house a long time and everything eventually needs stuff. Knowing that it is in great condition right now and I will only have it for a short time (max 5 years), the risk of major ticket items (roof, etc.) are very, very low. 

Thanks all.

0Reply
16 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Manteno, IL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    What is he proposing specifically on this deal?
    That you pay him $600 a month and whatever money you make on the house, is yours to keep? But that you have to return the house to him in the same condition he gives it to you (i.e. freshly painted, floors, etc). Or is he asking for the $600 plus typical costs for repairs and cap ex?

    In terms of repairs, vacancies and cap ex, the answer would be - nobody knows the number for sure.

    My suggestion. Why not just offer to PM the house for him for $150/mo plus any expenses (i.e newspaper ad for listings) and he has to pay for the repairs and he can do whatever capex amounts out of his own end? 

    That would seem to be a much safer deal for you and a much more profitable one for him provided nothing major occurs.

    Ultimately, thats what you'll be doing. Being a PM. There's no such thing as lending you a house. 

  • Investor · Smithsburg, MD · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Thank's for the response Mike.  He's looking for options and actually asking me for the proposal but I think you've captured it well.  In his mind, I would pay his mortgage monthly and whatever is left is for me as either profit or to cover repairs. This is his 2nd tour away and the last time he left it to a PM who fleeced him with illegitimate repair costs ergo his interest in leaving it this time with a more trusted person.

    I did consider the PM route but that's an area I know zip about so I was going to get someone to do that for me. Can you sublet PM to another PM?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.