My family members aren't very supportive

My family members aren't very supportive

Yorktown Heights, NY · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 2 votes
Every time my family talks to me about my ideas of investing in real estate they say I'm too young, I need more time to make some money, or I'm too inexperienced to buy a multi family house and landlord. I have read multiple books and talked to a few people that own properties. But if I bring up a 203k loan or something of that nature they just say that i'll regret it because I'm having someone else use my money (or the bank's) to fix up a house. They have strict ideas that contractors do the minimum just to get by inspections. My father and I are union electricians and he wants to help me but just nods when my mother gives me a hard time about my ideas. It sucks to have very little support at home because this is something I've wanted to do for 2+ years now and I feel like I can now because I have steady employment to help secure a loan. Can anyone help me/give me ideas to get my parents on board?
0Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
9y
Well how old are you? I'm in my early 20s and have decided not to tell my parents about my RE investing until I'm several years in, because I know they'd say not to do it
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    9y
    Well how old are you? I'm in my early 20s and have decided not to tell my parents about my RE investing until I'm several years in, because I know they'd say not to do it
  • Yorktown Heights, NY · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    About the same age. Mid 20s

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    9y
    If they're that detrimental to RE, just do it on your own st first and then tell them after you're a couple deals in
  • Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 79 posts · 29 votes
    9y
    Hey Christopher Powers , from personal exp. and what I've seen, family wants help you avoid big mistakes. That's their experience, not yours talking. Do a deal, small or not, but get it done. Then they will see your determination and offer help, or maybe not. Grant Cardone talks about his mom always telling him, "I wouldn't do that". Look where he's at now. Check your numbers, jv, then do it. Best of luck.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.