Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
6y
You're 23 years old, seemingly able-bodied, and you claim you can't find a job in an area (New England) with 3.9% unemployment. Come on, man. Aim lower, however low you're aiming.
Make up a resume, go to Indeed.com, plug in your zip code, and start contacting people. Indeed claims to be currently listing 17,348 jobs in Worcester, MA.
Worst case scenario, join the Army. There are educational, training, and work opportunities in four years in the US Army that half the rest of the world would kill for.
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y
I have a son somewhat similar to you in his early 20s and was he looking just outside Worcester, MA. He has a vo-tech high school education and was successful in getting jobs through staffing agencies temp to permanent. He is more skilled labor so Micro-tech , Savvy, and I think Superior were agencies he tried going through. The agencies might be different if you want customer service. I will say that most jobs were in that suburban dead zone midway between Worcester and Boston (acton, Franklin, Medway) and you had to have reliable transportation. Wegmans Northboro is hiring and many stores in the surrounding towns to Worcester (westboro, northboro), if you have a car. Online applications don't work. Sometimes you need to fill it in online and walk in the store. A lot depends on what you are willing to do and how you present in an interview. Good Luck
Professional · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 3 votes
6y
@Andrew Schulz if you're young and wanting REI to be a focus in your life, maybe look into property management for apartment homes. Starting as a leasing consultant doesn't require previous experience and the hours are a bit more flexible. You also earn bonuses dependent on the amount of leases you secure.
Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 4 votes
6y
Why not look into becoming an agent? If real estate is what you love and you are currently between jobs, this seems like a logical course of action. (Also, not having money is no excuse to delay when it comes to real estate investing).
Contractor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 6 votes
6y
I don’t know why you can’t find a job. I have no degree and little experience and I’ve never had an issue with employment.
Maybe it’s cause I have lower standards of what I’ll accept.
On thong I always do when I am looking for a job is I figure out what criteria I’m looking for and what qualifications I have and ignore anything that doesn’t fit.
For example right now I’m looking for a second job, and my criteria are quite specific.
I’m looking for full time, graveyard shift ideally from midnight to 8:00am doing something menial like stocking shelves
Being very specific has always helped me in my searching for jobs
Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
6y
Cant find a job ? Then create your own . I started mowing lawns at 19 , Bought my first house at 23 from cutting grass . Fixed up that house and I liked swinging a hammer so I added contracting to my business , it was slow in the beginning but in 3 years I was done with grass and contracting full time .I have hauled trash , scrapped steel . in the beginning i did AAFM . ( Almost Anything For Money ) . I still bend over to pick up a penny . I still scrap steel , I pile up old washers , engines anything metal and when I am bored I load it up and take it to the yard . A days worth of hauling and I make close to $500 .
Hey Andrew, I’m also young (22 years old) and I’m a full time student at a university. I also do have a job as a car rental agent in an airport. I HIGHLY recommend looking into this, as I’m currently making almost a 6 figure salary (based on commisions). No college degree is required, but bigger companies like Enterprise, and Hertz require experience. Start out at a smaller company in the airport and you’ll start getting connections and moving up. I’m not even sure if I’m actually going to put my degree to work after I finish college. I’m going for a Masters in Marketing. Let’s see how everything goes. I’m most likely going to get my first property in miami, which isn’t cheap. But it yeilds a high return. Nevertheless, goodluck!
Lewisville, TX · Member since 2015 · 343 posts · 264 votes
6y
@Steve Vaughan
I’d be interested in hearing your whole list of 18k things to generate income both passive & non. Have some passive income but still building & typically try several things at one time.
Property Manager · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
@Will C.
Yes!! Those threads always come up. Link them here good call!
But doing your own thing is the way to go. Learn to build decks or lay tile. Tons and tons of work for somewhat skilled people who are at least 90% sober.
Real Estate Agent · Worcester, MA · Member since 2018 · 519 posts · 410 votes
6y
@Andrew Schulz
Worcester is an interesting town. When you know people jobs are everywhere. When you don’t it is hard. I’m in Worcester every day let me know if you want to meet up. Some jobs are not fun but they are out there for people who show up on time. Dressed appropriately with a desire to learn.
Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y
I do sales (realtor) and am also an investor. It's a great mix.
Look into sales. Search "Business Development Representative" in Indeed there will be a lot of entry level jobs listed and most do not really require a degree. Even the tech sales jobs they will say degree required but it's not truly mandatory like in other fields. You will start out in the 40's and be over six figures in a few years if excel at it.
Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
6y
Why do you think the world owes you a good job ? Here’s how it works : We are paid by how much value we bring to the market place . So it seems that is your problem son ,you are not bringing any value to the market .it seems You have no skills or education or experience but you want that good expert / professional pay lol it doesn’t work that way ! You say you love to work then go find a skilled tradesmen in your area and ask to be a grunt / laborer for them . You’ll learn highly valuable real estate rehab skills in the process of making some money !
Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 2 votes
6y
@Andrew Schulz as somebody who runs a headhunting firm by day (I’m in the Seattle market, which is just as, if not more competitive than your local market), I have a few thoughts which I am happy to share here.
As many on the thread have pointed out, you should certainly be able to find a job in this market. I would not think that your obstacle is one of qualification.
However, it might be one of approach.
Without a doubt, the most effective way to move your profile to the “top of the pile” on any hiring manager’s desk In a market where managers are receiving resumes from a combination of multiple online sources, in addition to internal recruiting teams, and external agencies (sometimes totaling in excess of 400 resumes at a given time), is to connect directly (preferably on LinkedIn) with as many people as possible who hire for the types of positions that you are interested, and set up a time to meet. One might call it the “networking approach”, or the “connector approach”.
The key when you reach out, is to make it clear that your intention is to, first and foremost get to know them. Don’t be afraid to let them know that you are currently in the Job market, but I would not suggest making your meeting proposal all about “trying to get a job”, or an interview for that matter. Make it an opportunity to learn something from them. Let them know that you’d like to get a feel for the types of positions that they hire for, what they look for in an ideal candidate, how they like to build a team (their hiring philosophy), and understand more about their company and industry.
Here is one potential template:
“Hi [HIS/HER NAME],
Thank you for being willing to connect. I’m currently in the process of evaluating my next career step, and I’m looking for opportunities to connect with hiring leaders to ask some questions and advice.
In coming across your profile, I see that you have successfully [run sales teams for the last several years], and I wanted to see if you’d be open to a 20 or 30 minute coffee somewhere near your office, In the next couple of weeks? I would be happy to come to you.
I’m curious to learn more about your background, get your thoughts on what an ideal candidate looks like, and ask some advice based on where I’m at in my career path currently.
I have availability on Wednesdays and Fridays, between 9 AM and 11 AM. Would one of those days and times work for you?
Thank you for considering, and I look forward to the possibility of meeting.
Warmest regards,
NAME”
You might even add something to reassure them that you are not trying to turn this into a job interview.
Play with a few variations of that and see where it gets you.
My strongest suggestion would be to NOT send this via and inmail credit, to people you are not connected with. Rather, I would go through the process of reaching out them with a LinkedIn invite to connect including a short customized personalized message in your connection request, and then once they accept your connection, send a direct message through LinkedIn or send to the email address that their profile provides, with the template above, or something like it.
Feel free to connect with me directly once you secure a meeting, and I can help you with meeting agenda, and how I might approach it, if I were you.
@Andrew Schulz the better question is why are you looking for a job??
Get a cheap truck on a lease or own and post an add on Craigslist for junk removal....if your a hard worker then your business should blossom from there
Specialist · San Marcos, TX · Member since 2019 · 26 posts · 12 votes
6y
@Andrew Schulz
If you know you want to end up in real estate then maybe pick a part of real estate that interests you and learn that skill and use it as a stepping stone to compliment your investing.
For example, I became an appraiser because I felt like it would be a stepping stone to being a well rounded investor. I’ve been appraising for 10 years now, invested a bit and now ready to crank it up.
If appraising wasn’t an option and let’s say I was handy, another option would’ve been to do some contracting work because of the low barrier to entry, cash in hand, working for yourself, networking etc.
Leveraging the skills you have now to kill two birds with one stone imo is a good idea because you’ll gain traction by working an occupation that’s related to your end game. If you have office skills go work at a title company or become a loan processor, learn the business and be a loan officer. Go sell new homes. No college degree required and no real estate license required. Persistently go after the interview and don’t stop until you have the job. They don’t teach that in high school. That’s what I did before I was an appraiser. I started out as a model attendant and then a year later got a job with the same builder. New home sales pays very well. You’d likely make 6 figures as a mediocre new home salesperson.
Anyhow, pick something and do just that one thing. For me when the builder I worked for went under in 08 I didn’t have anything to fall back on. I had a mortgage and a truck payment and no savings. The only thing I really knew how to do was wait tables and build a fence because I had just built one for my house. I put a Craigslist ad out that read ‘ I build fences cheap.’ Thats how I ended up bringing my house and a rental out of foreclosure and financing the transition to appraising. My apologies for the long winded advice but I’m passionate about this topic because school doesn’t teach this stuff but luckily I had parents that did. Good luck!
Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @Account Closed:
Why can't a find a job?
Yes. Real Estate Investing is something I am getting into, but I need more money.
I've looked on Linkedin and Indeed. I got many interviews, but nothing worked out.
I reached out to recruiters, CEO's, Owners, ext... But they have or looking for someone that is more qualified.
I've been looking in the Worcester, MA area for something in Customer Service or Sales. Remote is also a option. Really anything!
Real Estate is something I really like, but I need money.
I am only 23 years old, but I love to work.
Does anyone have any advice?
Thank you so much for your time.
Perhaps you are interviewing for jobs that are outside of your qualifications or you need to refine your interview skills. I suggest applying for some jobs that are a level or two below those that you've been applying to. Get your foot in the door and then work your way up. Gotta take your licks.