Resources for investing in Canada

Resources for investing in Canada

Member since 2020 · 21 posts · 12 votes

I have been trying to get started in investing in RE in Canada. I want to go over all the info I have and see if people have suggestions on what else might be available or what I can do to make better decisions. There are multiple issues -

  1. 1. The price to rent ratio is super high almost across the country. Makes the 1-2% rule almost useless.
  2. 2. The price point is much higher if you want to get in as a new investor into just rental property investment.
  3. 3. The law forces investors to put 20% down. So a 400k property means I have to tie down 80k minimum. Which reduces Cap rate.
  4. 4. Communities have very tight short term rental restrictions, making it very difficult to find properties, and then if tomorrow the zoning changes, you might go from positive cashflow to nothing, since the laws on short-term rentals are so volatile and different across the country.
  5. 5. In bigger cities, almost all investors have a negative cap rate.
  6. 6. The resources/websites/services are not mature enough to get information as easily as in the States.

I couldn't find a section on BP that is dedicated to Canada and a lot of resources and discussions are specific to the States. Here is what I've found up until now -

  1. 1. Realtor.ca is the only website that lets me calculate numbers along with the listing. So I prefer that.
  2. 2. Rentometer.com works only in limited ways for giving info on rents. RentFaster.ca is a better resource, unless you want to scour through craigslist.
  3. 3. AirDNA gives good data in Canada as well for short term rentals, so that's good.
  4. 4. Each city has a different zoning for short-term rentals.
  5. 5. Short term rentals seem to be the only way to have a positive cashflow after keeping aside money for repairs, CapEx, vacancy, etc. and still have a decent CoC return.

What do people here think? What can I do to get more information on the Canadian markets? Or what should be my next step? I've mostly looked at all the major places - Victoria, Kelowna, Banff, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Toronto (and nearby areas), Halifax even. Anyone with experience investing in Canada who can share stories/tips?

10Reply
357 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Calgary, Alberta · Member since 2017 · 66 posts · 41 votes
5y

You seem to focus a lot on the "I'm not able to because.."

How about switching your mindset to "How can I overcome this obstacle.."

See this reply in the discussion

53 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2022 · 1 post · 1 vote
    4y

    Hi Shrey, Two years after your post I am reading this and finding all the responses helpful. Living in Toronto and looking for Canadian opportunities, I am facing the same challenges you faced in 2020. My questions for you are: Did you end up buying in Canada and where? What resources did you find helpful in searching for cash flow opportunities? And, where are you investing now?

    Thanks and hope it all worked out for you. 

    Daphney

  • Calgary, AB · Member since 2021 · 327 posts · 176 votes
    4y

    Hi folks, 

    I'm trying to get Canadians together to share our experiences. We have a group on Reddit if anyone is interested.

  • Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Stevo Sun:

    Hi folks, 

    I'm trying to get Canadians together to share our experiences. We have a group on Reddit if anyone is interested.

    What's the Reddit group?


  • Rental Property Investor · Ontario + Ohio · Member since 2018 · 82 posts · 53 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Stevo Sun:

    Hi folks, 

    I'm trying to get Canadians together to share our experiences. We have a group on Reddit if anyone is interested.


     Hi Stevo, what is your group name and link?

  • Calgary, AB · Member since 2021 · 327 posts · 176 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Paul Sverdlin:
    Quote from @Stevo Sun:

    Hi folks, 

    I'm trying to get Canadians together to share our experiences. We have a group on Reddit if anyone is interested.


     Hi Stevo, what is your group name and link?


     Hi Paul, I'll send you the link. 

  • Investor · Ontario, Canada · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Stevo Sun:
    Quote from @Paul Sverdlin:
    Quote from @Stevo Sun:

    Hi folks, 

    I'm trying to get Canadians together to share our experiences. We have a group on Reddit if anyone is interested.


     Hi Stevo, what is your group name and link?


     Hi Paul, I'll send you the link. 


     Hi Stevo, I'd be interested in the link as well.  

  • Calgary, AB · Member since 2021 · 327 posts · 176 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Chris Beckett:
    Quote from @Stevo Sun:
    Quote from @Paul Sverdlin:
    Quote from @Stevo Sun:

    Hi folks, 

    I'm trying to get Canadians together to share our experiences. We have a group on Reddit if anyone is interested.


     Hi Stevo, what is your group name and link?


     Hi Paul, I'll send you the link. 


     Hi Stevo, I'd be interested in the link as well.  


     For sure

  • Investor · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 15 votes
    3y

    Hey Shrey,

    I have a podcast called Working Capital The Real Estate Podcast.  I'm based in Toronto but discuss topics related to investing in both the US and Canada.  Might be of help!

  • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Stevo Sun:
    Quote from @Chris Beckett:
    Quote from @Stevo Sun:
    Quote from @Paul Sverdlin:
    Quote from @Stevo Sun:

    Hi folks, 

    I'm trying to get Canadians together to share our experiences. We have a group on Reddit if anyone is interested.


     Hi Stevo, what is your group name and link?


     Hi Paul, I'll send you the link. 


     Hi Stevo, I'd be interested in the link as well.  


     For sure


     Hi Steve,

    I'm also in the GTA and I would be interested in the link!

    Thanks

  • Calgary, AB · Member since 2021 · 327 posts · 176 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jenna Donaldson:
    Quote from @Stevo Sun:
    Quote from @Chris Beckett:
    Quote from @Stevo Sun:
    Quote from @Paul Sverdlin:
    Quote from @Stevo Sun:

    Hi folks, 

    I'm trying to get Canadians together to share our experiences. We have a group on Reddit if anyone is interested.


     Hi Stevo, what is your group name and link?


     Hi Paul, I'll send you the link. 


     Hi Stevo, I'd be interested in the link as well.  


     For sure


     Hi Steve,

    I'm also in the GTA and I would be interested in the link!

    Thanks


     Sure, I'll DM you. 

  • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y

    @Stevo Sun I'm interested in the link too.

    Thanks!

  • Calgary, AB · Member since 2021 · 327 posts · 176 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jon Harvey:

    @Stevo Sun I'm interested in the link too.

    Thanks!

    Sure thing, I'll DM you. 
  • Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y

    @Stevo Sun - Thank you in advance. I'm very interested in the link. 

  • Calgary, AB · Member since 2021 · 327 posts · 176 votes
    3y

    I will DM you the link!

  • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y

    Canada needs something BiggerPockets but for Canada. It would be a great thing to have a database and website for the Canadian market. 

    I am very interested in creating a group of real estate investors to build a business, so we can build a good and honest business and secure our futures, and not live paycheck to paycheck. 

    if anyone serious enough to want to build something like this, please message me. 

  • Calgary, AB · Member since 2021 · 327 posts · 176 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Aaron J Breitung:

    Canada needs something BiggerPockets but for Canada. It would be a great thing to have a database and website for the Canadian market. 

    I am very interested in creating a group of real estate investors to build a business, so we can build a good and honest business and secure our futures, and not live paycheck to paycheck. 

    if anyone serious enough to want to build something like this, please message me. 


     Love to see it. Count me in.

  • New to Real Estate · Manitoba, Canada · Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Stevo Sun:

    Hi folks, 

    I'm trying to get Canadians together to share our experiences. We have a group on Reddit if anyone is interested.

    Do you still have that link to share?
  • New to Real Estate · Ottawa, Canada · Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Stevo Sun:

    Hi folks, 

    I'm trying to get Canadians together to share our experiences. We have a group on Reddit if anyone is interested.

    @Stevo Sun

    @Stevo Sun Hi, would l be able to get the Reddit link as well? Thanks

  • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y

    @Stevo Sun i would also be interested in the link! 

    I am a rookie and have been debating whether to take the Bootcamp course for this reasons... I am sure I will learn a lot of base knowledge but will not likely be applicable for Canada... 

  • Calgary, AB · Member since 2021 · 327 posts · 176 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Younghoon Moon:

    @Stevo Sun i would also be interested in the link! 

    I am a rookie and have been debating whether to take the Bootcamp course for this reasons... I am sure I will learn a lot of base knowledge but will not likely be applicable for Canada... 


     Personally I don't think you need a boot camp to start. You can just ask your questions on here. I'll send you the link.

  • Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    2y

    Hi everyone 

    We have family members that recently moved to Arcadia. I’m an American looking to invest in multi-unit properties. 1 unit will be occupied by the family member.
    Can anyone recommend a real estate agent who has investor mindset? 
    Cheers,

    Keeya


  • Member since 2024 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    2y

    Disregard previous post. Wrong city.

    UPDATE: AURORA - INVESTMENT
    I'm looking for resources, agents, brokers in this area that is not Toronto proper.
    We found out recently that we have a family member residing in Aurora. We are interested in going in this venture together for to purchase a multi-unit. 

    Any suggestions of whom can we chat with, agent, broker? Looking for a 4-plex.
    Long-term is ok. I understand short-term is difficult in the province. 

    Cheers,
    Keeya  

  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Stevo Sun:
    Quote from @Chris Beckett:
    Quote from @Stevo Sun:
    Quote from @Paul Sverdlin:
    Quote from @Stevo Sun:

    Hi folks, 

    I'm trying to get Canadians together to share our experiences. We have a group on Reddit if anyone is interested.


     Hi Stevo, what is your group name and link?


     Hi Paul, I'll send you the link.


     Hi Stevo, I'd be interested in the link as well.  


     For sure

    Fellow Canadian! May I please have the link as well?
  • Investor · Canada · Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @La Tortuga Amarilla:
    Quote from @Stevo Sun:

    Hi folks, 

    I'm trying to get Canadians together to share our experiences. We have a group on Reddit if anyone is interested.

    @Stevo Sun

    @Stevo Sun Hi, would l be able to get the Reddit link as well? Thanks

    I would also like the link too, please
  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y

    @Stevo Sun I would also like to have the link man

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.