Tax delinquent property lists

Tax delinquent property lists

Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2014 · 7 posts · 8 votes
Hey guys, new wholesaler here. I am seeking some advice on tax delinquent properties. I have obtained a list, however I am not sure how to approach these deals. Do I send them a yellow letter or skip trace and cold call? I really need some guidance from a seasoned investor or wholesaler. Any help is welcome, thank you in advance!
5Reply
81 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2015 · 344 posts · 606 votes
10y

@Eduardo Slesaransky @Skylar Moyer 

I guess I'll add my 2 cents as being someone that has been doing tax delinquent properties as one of my main filters, and have made a truckload of money off of these.

Before I give you some hints on your methods, remember these leads are just a means to an end. Our business model isn't probate, code enforcement, abandoned properties, or tax delinquent properties. Our biz model is professional problem solving.

All of those situations, being tax delinquent, having code enforcement issues, etc, are all leads to people with problems that you can solve in exchange for equity.

Ex: sure a number of properties are getting delinquent because the owner past, but if you track down the heir and assist them in doing the probate, isn't that going to be a great point of negotiation? "I will pay for your probate and take care of the liens and pay you (blank) for your equity," wouldn't that be a strong negotiating position?

(For more of an understanding of what I mean, here is a link to a post I did that explains in more detail. https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/62/topics/243... )

Ok, enough of the soapbox speech, though if you understand that truth, you will get more deals which will make you more money, let's get to those leads.

You can get tax delinquent leads from many good lead sources, however if I were you, I would add another filter. I would ask for vacant house leads with tax delinquent as the additional filter. That will give you a lot more bang for your buck.

As @rick h said, you can get your list for free from the tax collector. The catch is, there is no such thing as a free list. You have to pay either with cash to the list provider or pay with sweat equity through the collector by having to weed through their list for what you are specifically looking for. You can usually get the list of delinquent liens by asking your collector for the current or most recent list of tax certificates for sale. There will usually be an additional identifier for multi year delinquent. (Like an asterix or something) Most of the certificates are first year certificates, I prefer at least 2 years or more.

@Skylar, when you find a home where the person has past, simply google that person's name along with the city where the home was and the word obituary and more often then not you will pull up an obit along with his/her next of kin along with the city/state they live.

I do not send letters because I do exactly what Rick said and do my title due diligence before reaching out and look for the best deals and the low hanging fruit, then I skip those people using my own techniques which I posted in another post. 

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/93/topics/290841-ugly-abandoned-house---where-can-i-find-the-owner

I call these people personally as these deals are golden and get probably a 50-70% closing rate by solving problems.

I hope this helps.

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Loganville, GA · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Does the delinquent tax list contain owners that have 100% equity of their properties? 

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 1 vote
    9y

    How do I obtain a tax delinquent property list?

  • New Braunfels, TX · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 1 vote
    8y
    Hi all, Posted this in a different thread but thought I would repost here to get input: I took the plunge and sent out a mailer - I focused on tax delinquent property owners of vacant lots in the County, and sent out 80 focused letters with blind offers. I attached a post-it note to increase response rates as well (“Hope to hear from you soon!”) My question is, for the offers, I used a formula to ensure my offer + taxes owed totaled 60% of the assessment value. After seeing others’ comments, it sounds like this might be on the generous side? I wanted to err on offering to high rather than too low, to test response rates and ensure responses came in. Would love to hear feedback. Ryan
  • Agua Dulce, CA · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Hi All,

      Great forum!

      Anyone out there have experience with LA County, California?  The only info they seem to want to sell to me, for delinquent properties, has only the APN to identify the property.  No situs address, owner or owner's address.  Any idea where, in that giant maw of bureaucracy, I might find a more usable dataset?  The idea of having to wade parcel by parcel is daunting, I want data I can filter.  Most other counties seem to offer more info (and for cheaper!).

      Any help, is of course, very appreciated!!

    ->Bob

  • Center Valley, PA · Member since 2017 · 133 posts · 31 votes
    8y

    Hey @Bob Sankey

    I may be able to help.  PM me one or two APNs and I may be able to look it up for you.  

  • Agua Dulce, CA · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Hi Tony,

      Thanks for the offer.  There are 1.4 million records.....So, that may be a bit much for you!!  I am trying to find a way to join all those to the address and owners info, I will probably be able to filter that number down prior to any need to resolve the APN's, but I'll bet the number will still be huge!!

      Any ideas or solutions are surely appreciated though and thanks for the offer!

    ->Bob 

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 2 votes
    8y
    Hi @Bob Sankey, how much does LA county charge for the list? Thanks
  • Real Estate Agent · Wylie, TX · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Try Listsource.com for tax-delinquent properties.  Leads are cheap and you can really limit your search parameters.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.