How to specialize in residential income properties as a Real Estate Agent

How to specialize in residential income properties as a Real Estate Agent

Involved In Real Estate · Sunrise, FL · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 1 vote

I'm an inactive real estate agent in South Florida, that would like to specialize in residential income properties, including single family homes. How do I find the right real estate brokerage office, that will give me the support and guidance to help me learn the investment side of real estate sales?

1Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Pleasanton, CA · Member since 2015 · 97 posts · 65 votes
11y

If you go the KW route (or I guess any other brokerage route), make sure you ask if they allow you to represent yourself in your deals. The KW market center that I belong to doesn't allow its agents to represent themselves. Although it's not that big of an issue, it may keep you from saving commission by listing your properties as FSBO and you won't be able to add incentive to your purchase offers by cutting your commission. It also throws an extra person into the deal, so if it's not someone who's comfortable letting you handle all the communication with the seller and their agent, you'll have to add someone to the communication chain. Although it's not an issue that would cause me to leave my market center, it is something to take into consideration.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brett SynickyPro Member
    Solo 401k and SDIRA Consultant · Orange, CA · Member since 2013 · 873 posts · 498 votes
    12y

    Kw is generally good.  I found a smaller brokerage and my broker has been an investor since he started his re career.  I found him by looking up the ELP's on daveramsey.com in my area.  

    Good luck!

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Joe Rivera:

    I'm an inactive real estate agent in South Florida, that would like to specialize in residential income properties, including single family homes. How do I find the right real estate brokerage office, that will give me the support and guidance to help me learn the investment side of real estate sales?

     Talk with several brokerages. Look for one that the owner is also an investor.

  • Property Manager · Pleasanton, CA · Member since 2015 · 97 posts · 65 votes
    11y

    If you go the KW route (or I guess any other brokerage route), make sure you ask if they allow you to represent yourself in your deals. The KW market center that I belong to doesn't allow its agents to represent themselves. Although it's not that big of an issue, it may keep you from saving commission by listing your properties as FSBO and you won't be able to add incentive to your purchase offers by cutting your commission. It also throws an extra person into the deal, so if it's not someone who's comfortable letting you handle all the communication with the seller and their agent, you'll have to add someone to the communication chain. Although it's not an issue that would cause me to leave my market center, it is something to take into consideration.

  • Real Estate Agent · Sunrise, FL · Member since 2009 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    I want to thank everyone for their comments on this site.

    Joe Rivera

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y

    Another thing to look for is a brokerage that is heavily involved in property management.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.