Real Estate Agent 路 Weatherford, TX 路 Member since 2011 路 726 posts 路 284 votes
11y
RE License Timeline - Taking The Test!
8/12/2015 - Got my fingerprinting scheduled for Friday at 12:10 at a gun range in FW. Cost will be $40. I'm not sure how long it takes them to get the background check back. Hopefully not long. I'm ready to get to work!
Working on exam prep videos to "cram" before I leave to go take the test in a couple hours.
Ontario, CA 路 Member since 2015 路 69 posts 路 10 votes
11y
@Shane Woods this is the BEST post regarding RE licensing in TX on BP. Thank you so much for sharing!
I didn't see an update on sitting for the state exam and what your results were. Did you share them elsewhere?
I especially appreciate you sharing your process of choosing a broker to hang your license with. Invaluable.
I'm moving to Tyler/Longview/East Texas area in November, and thinking I should start studying for my TX license now, online, and shooting for scheduling my exam for after the new year. (Although I welcome any and all thoughts and advice on this plan).
Thank you for the poke. :) I had been dragging my feet updating this because I've been crazy busy with some other work, and I have to "come clean" about my oopsies. :)
It's funny how things work out. And how being organized is very important. Common sense right? You'd think. :)
Real Estate Agent 路 Weatherford, TX 路 Member since 2011 路 726 posts 路 284 votes
11y
RE License Timeline - Taking The Test!
8/14/15 - Scheduled to get fingerprinted - woops.....got busy with some work stuff and completely missed this appointment. Luckily I opted for the Pay onsite option. It didn't cost me any money, just scheduling delays. Didn't even remember I had this appointment until later...
Real Estate Agent 路 Weatherford, TX 路 Member since 2011 路 726 posts 路 284 votes
11y
RE License Timeline - Taking The Test!
8/20/15 - Test Time! ... No? DOH! - Scheduled my test for this evening after work. Drove the 40 miles in traffic to the test site, got inside, and didn't have the proper ID. Couldn't take the test. My $54 and $20 in gas, and several hours in DFW traffic down the drain.
Real Estate Agent 路 Weatherford, TX 路 Member since 2011 路 726 posts 路 284 votes
11y
RE License Timeline - Taking The Test!
8/22/15 - Taking the test! - Paid another $54, drove the 60 miles to the test site, luckily it was Saturday with very little traffic. Had the correct ID, feeling good. Went in, took the test. Finished in about an hour and a half. We were given 4 hours total. They don't give out scores, just a pass/fail, and I PASSED!!!!!
The paperwork generated says it may take up to 10 days for the state to process my scores.
I also rescheduled my fingerprinting for Monday, 8/31/15.
Ontario, CA 路 Member since 2015 路 69 posts 路 10 votes
11y
Glad I could be off service! Lol
awww poop! I was certain you were going to post that you took it and passed 1 st try.
So. Any recommendations for me, regarding course vendor, my own timeline, etc? Are or have you taken any exam prep classes? Are you still going to the broker meetings? I guess I have some research to start doing, for a shop to hang my shingle with. I do plan on actively working as an agent, rather than getting my license strictly for the investor benefits.
Real Estate Agent 路 Weatherford, TX 路 Member since 2011 路 726 posts 路 284 votes
11y
RE License Timeline The Waiting Game
8/23/15 - Checked the TREC website...no exam scores found
8/24/15 - Checked the TREC website...no exam scores found
8/25/15 - Checked the TREC website...no exam scores found
8/26/15 - Checked the TREC website...no exam scores found
8/27/15 - Checked the TREC website...no exam scores found
And the waiting continues...
I set up a meeting in the morning with my Broker to just sit and talk about procedural stuff. Such as exactly what is her process for setting up a listing. What does she require the agent to do/say? What listing form do I use? How do I get signed up with NAR and the two boards I'll be a member of. Where do I get lockboxes & sign riders?
All the important little stuff so I can just jump right in as soon as I'm official.
Ontario, CA 路 Member since 2015 路 69 posts 路 10 votes
11y
She hasn't had you shadow any agents yet? No one has walked you through a deal? On second thought, probably not until after test results, and she makes sure you don't bolt lol.
Have you decided on a niche? Do you have cards? (Now I'm just being a pest 馃槈)
Real Estate Agent 路 Weatherford, TX 路 Member since 2011 路 726 posts 路 284 votes
11y
@James Palin, yep those and/or Credit Cards. All I had was my license that day. Hurts to say it. I took my debit & credit cards out at home that morning. Didn't put them back in.
@Carrie Anderson you're not being a pest. I've asked tons of questions on here.
As far as shadowing agents, I could have been. But this is such a small office, they're not all really busy right now. And I've had to manage my time vs. actually making money. I'm self employed now, and until my agency takes off, I'm bouncing between Audio Visual contract work (my previous profession) and contract investor marketing assistance work. I'm sure I'll be doing lots of shadowing once I'm "official".
The walking me through a deal is part of what I want to talk about tomorrow. Just the nuts and bolts of how she likes it done. Let's face it, she's old. She likes it her way. I don't want to rock the boat. :)
With regard to what education to take, I can't answer that. I know how I work, and the actual study at home BOOKS were best for me. I knew that after I looked at the options, and it worked well. I finished the course work in a month. I used Kaplan, and they have 3 types. Book study, online test, which is what I did. Online everything, and then an actual classroom option. And many community colleges offer real estate education as well. You'll just have to poke around and see what feels right to you.
I did not do any exam prep except the online Pre tests for national and state, provided with my package through Kaplan. And I watched one review video on a subject I was struggling with. Which was the Texas Real Estate Commission and their makeup, duties, abilility to suspend, how they do what they do with regard to complaints, etc. Kaplan had a LOT of review videos & corresponding workbooks. But I did well enough on the pre-test to only need to watch that one review section. Then I took the test. :)
In the last 3 weeks they've only had 1 broker meeting, and I didn't get to go because I was working. I'll play ketchup tomorrow. :)
The best thing you can do is figure out your education plan and start. The rest will happen as you make it. But get started! Don't wait.
Real Estate Agent 路 Weatherford, TX 路 Member since 2011 路 726 posts 路 284 votes
11y
RE License Timeline The Waiting Game
8/28/15 - Meeting with Broker - Still no exam scores found :( - spent the morning with the broker. She took me to 3 houses. One was a very nice 5 year old house they just listed. I put a sign up for her, and took a hammer to a non-funcitoning iBox. It works now. And we resuced the captive key. Great looking house inside and out. Already has a full price offer. We also looked at another property a different agent in the office has listed for too much. They need to do about $7K worth of work to get what they're asking. Or they need to drop the price again. For those interested, it needs the following:
Exterior: Paint Shutters & Power Wash all the vinyl
Unpermitted enclosed patio: Relocate Electric Meter to exterior of home.
We also put a sign & lockbox on another property which currently has a tenant. They want to stay, but seller wants to sell and not renew their lease.
She also took me to the Metro West Board of Realtors office to meet the "local Board lady." We talked about lots of nuts and bolts stuff about how she likes deals to run, and office culture.
8/31/15 - Still no exam scores found :( - got fingerprinted today
I am curious what you think about starting with Keller Williams? Do you think their fee/commission/training program for new agents on par or surpass others?
Real Estate Broker 路 Manchester, NH 路 Member since 2014 路 630 posts 路 420 votes
11y
@Eric T. I recently started with KW and the education they provide is phenomenal. Their "in-office" training is great, and their national events are incredible. Although the commission split does vary from state to state, they always implement a "cap" so after you pay a certain amount of commission to the company, it "caps" and you receive 100% commission. I'd love to chat with you about KW if you have any more questions!
Realtor & Investor 路 Houston, TX 路 Member since 2013 路 48 posts 路 19 votes
11y
Awesome thread. I recently acquired my Texas RE license here in Houston a couple of months ago and Joined Keller Williams Metropolitan in the Galleria Area. I absolutely love the broker and the people there. The training is great and there's always people I can go to for any help. Now the real work starts with lead generation and churning the wheels to get deals done and building a client base.
Real Estate Agent 路 Weatherford, TX 路 Member since 2011 路 726 posts 路 284 votes
11y
I'M OFFICIAL!!!
9/1/15 - Received an email late last night that I saw first thing this morning telling me I have been issued an "inactive" license. Which means they don't have record of broker sponsorship. Remember earlier in the thread I mentioned I had her send off the letter the day after I applied. I guess they didn't get it....And I'll have to mess with the online process to add her sponsorship......
9/2/15 - 733am I recieved another email making me feel much better. It was my actual active license. :) I'm 100% officially a Texas Licensed Real Estate Salesperson. I also went down to the Greater West Metro Association of Realtors to pay my dues, and get my MLS Access set up. I have a meeting set up tomorrow to watch a video on using Matrix (our MLS software), and some other things.
For those in the Parker County area, fees are as follows:
Yearly Dues $500 or so after $150 setup fee (mine were prorated of course)
MLS Access $150 or so per quarter
Supra Key (if desired) $60/quarter after $30 setup fee.
Once I'm done with everything tomorrow, I'll make a new thread detailing the CORRECT process to follow for anyone who wants to get a license in TX :)
My 1st choice was Keller Williams. They're great for investor-minded agents. And it seemed like the training was going to be awesome!
But my gut told me to have a followup conversation with my broker, and I'm glad I did. It's just a better fit for me.
I'm sure KW would have been fantastic if I had the time to dedicate to their "programs" on the front end, but I just don't. Everyone has their fit, and if you have time to do their training, and don't mind paying for a desk, it's probably great for you too :)
With Rutledge Real Estate in Weatherford, I get a simple 70/30 split for now. No desk or office fees of any kind. Negotiable office hours, and so far no intra-office ugliness. Just 3 agents and the broker, all from different generations and backgrounds. And I pay the Realtor Board fees directly, no broker mark-up.
Small office, but over 100 years of experience in the 4 people there. Pretty awesome!