A Texas RE License Journey

A Texas RE License Journey

Real Estate Agent · Weatherford, TX · Member since 2011 · 726 posts · 284 votes

I'm going to use this thread to hold myself accountable, and hopefully help anyone else who may learn from my experiences!

After launching my own website in 2012, Go To Thread Here...

Dabbling in direct mail with @Jerry Puckett in 2013-2014...

Working leads for @John Chapman & @Jon Klaus over the last 3 years...

And sending out some more mail in 2015...

I'm ready to take the next logical step for me in my real estate career.

The "License Timeline" starts in the next post. 

2Reply
136 views

Most Popular Reply

MPA · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 27 posts · 11 votes
11y

I can't even... Going through the process in TX right now too and this post... Just... THANK. YOU.

:)

See this reply in the discussion

68 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Weatherford, TX · Member since 2011 · 726 posts · 284 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jon Klaus:

    You started in June and finished before Labor Day - Congratulations!

    What was the most surprising thing you learned about the process? And what was the most surprising thing you learned about real estate transactions?

    Thanks Jon!  I guess that is pretty cool.

     I'm actually a little frustrated.  I should have had all this done by the end of July.  That's why I'm putting together a simple, well-ordered list for future agents to go by. :)

    If you have time to put into the education part, it can theoretically be done from start to finish in 10 weeks or less. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Weatherford, TX · Member since 2011 · 726 posts · 284 votes
    11y

    @Jon Klaus the most surprising thing I learned about the process, is now NOT well laid out the steps are on the TREC website.  They're all there, but not in simple step by step that I needed.  I did a few things out of order, and it ended up costing me about a month.  

    The most surprising things I learned about transactions, is how many different ways they can go squirrely, and all the different ways to avoid getting fined or having your license suspended.  Lots of CYA in the education.  It was very helpful.

    Also, all the tenants in common vs joint tenants information was very interesting.  I never realized how complicated joint ownership and succession could be.

    Also, how easy it is to screw up a contract by not copying the Legal Description correctly.  Possibly causing title problems down the road. 

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    Reminds me what I heard at least one time, about real estate agents basically being licensed to practice law in the area of real estate transactions.  Kind of like specialized lawyers. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Weatherford, TX · Member since 2011 · 726 posts · 284 votes
    11y

    Haha funny you should mention that. Every chapter or every book mentions how we are not to "practice law". They want us to understand all the basic principles but never "guide" or give any kind of legal advice at all. Such as making suggestions about how to hold title, or telling a client whether a property has a clean title. no writing contracts. Only using state promulgated fill in forms, uess buyer or seller requires a different one THEY WRITE. All very interesting.

  • New to Real Estate · New Bedford, MA · Member since 2014 · 15 posts · 8 votes
    11y

    @Shane Woods thanks for sharing your story and congrats on getting your license! I've been thinking about getting licensed in order to build my sales skills in real estate and learn while doing. Would you recommend it as a path for learning real estate to eventually build a portfolio of rental properties?

  • MPA · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 27 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    I am REALLY looking forward to the step list!!! The TREC website has killed hours of my life and you're right-- the instructions are head-bashingly circular!!!!

  • Real Estate Agent · Weatherford, TX · Member since 2011 · 726 posts · 284 votes
    11y

    @Sarah T. "Head-bashingly circular".  yes. that. exactly.

  • Real Estate Agent · Weatherford, TX · Member since 2011 · 726 posts · 284 votes
    11y

    Here's my Step By Step Guide, the right way!

    Step By Step Real Estate Agent in Texas

  • MPA · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 27 posts · 11 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Shane Woods:

    Here's my Step By Step Guide, the right way!

    Step By Step Real Estate Agent in Texas

    I believe all this info is the most valuable thing I've received from BP, hands down. Thank you SO much.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    Congrats on picking up a listing!

  • Real Estate Agent · Weatherford, TX · Member since 2011 · 726 posts · 284 votes
    11y

    Thanks @Sarah T.. It's comments like that, that make all the "blogging" worth it.  And I really didn't spend nearly the time on it I wish I could have.  Glad I could help!!!

    @Jon Klaus, congratulate me when it sells for a price that pays off my owner's mortgage...fingers crossed.  No calls or showing yet...that estate sale needs to hurry up so I can really show off the space with good pics. 

  • Weatherford, TX · Member since 2015 · 27 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    What an incredible resource!  Thank you so much for taking your time to document this for all of the confused minds out here!  Now onto the step-by-step guide you wrote!

  • Crowley, TX · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Great posts! Your documentation shows a timeline that is truly exceptional! Thanks for taking the time to inspire.

  • Keller, TX · Member since 2015 · 49 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    Do you have to be with a broker to get MLS access or just join your local group? My fiance is going to get her license just for investor deals for us. We have no desire to sell houses or show houses. The convenience of searching MLS and seeing houses on our schedule is the key.

    THanks
    Tim

  • Real Estate Agent · Cypress, TX · Member since 2018 · 156 posts · 73 votes
    8y

    Shane - I am FINALLY licensed after a looong 9 months and I wanted to say THANK YOU! I am from Fort Worth (now live in Houston) and I had your blog book marked, every time I got one thing accomplished I was referring back to your post to determine what I should knock out next. I genuinely never even had to attempt to dig through TREC to get the steps you laid out so well. Thanks so much!

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Years later, and this post is still helpful. Thanks for the awesome information!

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Years later, and this post is still helpful. Thanks for the awesome information!

  • Real Estate Agent · Cypress, TX · Member since 2018 · 156 posts · 73 votes
    7y

    Still one of my all time favorite posts for sure. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.