Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2013 · 117 posts · 4 votes
I would like to get my real estate license for rochester. does anyone know what website i can go on to study and schedule the test. can i can take the test online
Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2013 · 117 posts · 4 votes
10y
thank you Mark Updegraff. so I should go on Groupon and search real license. I live in brooklyn ny but invest in rochester ny. Would i be able to use that license in both location since its New York and can I use it in florida.
I used realestateespress.com in VA but I believe they work in every state. Not positive though. Your license will be good throughout New York but you will have to be affiliated with a Broker and MLS network. Those are more regional. I am not familiar with NY so can't say if Brooklyn and Rochester would be the same but they tend to go by major metropolitan areas. Your license would not be good in FL. You would have to apply for a separate license there but they may accept some of your education. For example, in VA if you have a license from another state you can apply to only take the state specific portion of the exam and forego the national portion.
Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2013 · 117 posts · 4 votes
10y
thank you Edward interesting. If i wanted to just have my license to list my own properties would i need anything besides my license. Would i have access with the broker and mls
Your license has to be held by a broker. If it is not then your license will be considered inactive. Each state is different but that is fairly standard I believe. Reason being that you are getting licensed to broker real estate but there is A LOT to know. Even after you past the test, nothing prepares you like experience so this guarantees new licensees fall under someone experienced initially. To get your brokers license requires a minimum amount of time as a practicing agent to even apply (3 years in VA).
What you pay your broker will depend on what you can negotiate with him/her. If you sign up with one of the big houses they will expect you to represent buyers and sellers and will take a split of your commisions. You may be able to find an investor friendly broker who will let you do what you want but they will still demand some sort of compensation because they are assuming all of the liability for you. You will also have to pay fees to have access to the MLS and other stuff. They can really nickel and dime you. I would expect it to cost several hundred dollars, maybe even several thousand to maintain your license once you get it.