San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 9 votes
Hello BP!
I've recently decided to take the plunge and go full-time at being a Real Estate Salesperson and I'm wondering - does anyone out there have insight into the pros & cons of going by my first/last name vs going by my first/middle?
Christian Efseaff vs Christian Daniel, respectively.
Obviously, my network knows me by my first/last & there could be some issues when it comes to legal documents down the road. Those are the only cons I can think of.
The pro is simplicity and ease of remembering my name as well as SEO.
To be honest I don't think it's much of a big deal either way. SEO is somewhat of a benefit, but there will be way more "Christian Daniels" out there than Christian Efseaffs.
To be honest I don't think it's much of a big deal either way. SEO is somewhat of a benefit, but there will be way more "Christian Daniels" out there than Christian Efseaffs.
Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 5 votes
9y
Hey Christian. I get your plight. Is it Greg Beeeety or Batey or Baty etc. for a while I was going to switch to my middle name and use Gregory Scott. However, I was told that as this was not my "legal" name, I could not use it in legal process. I decided changing my name legally was a hassle and stuck with Gregory Beaty. So far it's working as well as it ever did.
My point, you may want to check with your local authorities to see if you can leagally use and alias.
Good luck and let us know what you find out and ultimately do.
I'm definitely a "planner" so it's true that I may be simply overthinking it. Due to the hassle (echoed by you both) I'll likely stick with it and hope I can turn it into a positive somehow.
Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y
@Christian Efseaff There is probably a regulation that you have to use your legal name in your marketing anyway. I know there is in my market. Don't worry too much about it, though. I have a hard to spell last name too, and it doesn't seem to have hindered anything. If anything, it's easy to google me and know you have the right person. :)
Real Estate Agent · Saint Hedwig, TX · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 8 votes
9y
I market my group/team name and then use my name for all contracts and paperwork. Meaning all of my signs and ads say the Terrell Macy Group. I also have a new agent that is going to start branding his group with his first and middle name as well.
In Texas you can market your group/team or individual any way you want.
Awesome pointers from @Dawn Brenengen and @Emily Terrell. I would say get a catchy biz name that is easy to remember, and use your name on papers. I was of the same type, over thinking what my biz name shud be, and I finally got over it. Send me your email and I will email you some links to very good sites to name your RE biz. It's good to think it thru but don't get stuck on it, cuz it's your rapport that people will remember and the relationships you built
How is your new agent doing with his middle name? His last name goes on contracts, mail and bills I would imagine, yes? Would you be so kind as to allow me to speak with him briefly on his experience so far?
Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 293 posts · 175 votes
9y
You could look at using Christian E, Chris E, etc. on your marketing supplies. I always think of what I would say on the phone when I call someone. For you it might be "Hey this is Christian E from Efseaff Realty..."
Residential Real Estate Broker · San Mateo, CA · Member since 2013 · 585 posts · 264 votes
9y
@Christian Efseaff don't worry about it too much. When you do the marketing, better to have a name that people are only seeing when you send it then if someone with a common name is hitting them with direct mail every other month.
In terms of SEO, I imagine it will help to have it be a less common name.
If you think one way or the other will give you more confidence, go with the name that will help you out the most with the confidence as that will ultimately make you successful.
San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 9 votes
9y
@Tyler Ansell Thank you for the input. I think you're right about the marketing. Better they know who it is when they see or hear the name even if it's a struggle the first time or two.