I’m a real estate agent looking to expand my horizon

I’m a real estate agent looking to expand my horizon

Real Estate Agent · Brighton, MI · Member since 2017 · 72 posts · 18 votes
I’m a real estate agent looking to provide more value for my clients. I’ve never been a person whose been hands-on, I’ve always been business and paperwork minded, but I’m looking to do the nitty gritty of flipping houses, but don’t have the capital to do so. I want to learn everything about a house, I don’t want to be the typical narrow minded real estate agent.
0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Joel OwensBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
8y

Learn how to underwrite house projects. There is a book on this site by Jason Scott with 123flip. Read that a few times to get acclimated.

Find a deal and then try to find a partner on it with more experience. You likely will just get a small slice of equity to get going.

It's late in the game in most parts of the country for residential flips. Lot's of guru's are pushing seminars selling programs and hyping up returns of the past just off the bottom of the recovery and having new investors believe they can easily achieve that today. I saw this last cycle. Investors when deals are fat want to hoard deals. When deals are getting thinner and thinner they shift to selling information.

I am just talking in generalities and not any specific company.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · WV · Member since 2018 · 454 posts · 310 votes
    8y

    To get into flipping properties you typically want to be the person with the money, or the person with the knowledge. Your real estate knowledge from being a real estate agent should help tremendously. You should work on gaining as much construction and remodeling knowledge that you can get. The will help you estimate and manage the rehab work. Once you have this part figured out you can sell yourself to investors to provide the knowledge and management to flip homes. I recommend looking for local real estate investor meetups, chamber meetings, etc... that will put you in contact with investors and business people that may be able to be your investor, or may be able to connect you with an investor. 

    Good Luck! Aaron

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    8y

    Learn how to underwrite house projects. There is a book on this site by Jason Scott with 123flip. Read that a few times to get acclimated.

    Find a deal and then try to find a partner on it with more experience. You likely will just get a small slice of equity to get going.

    It's late in the game in most parts of the country for residential flips. Lot's of guru's are pushing seminars selling programs and hyping up returns of the past just off the bottom of the recovery and having new investors believe they can easily achieve that today. I saw this last cycle. Investors when deals are fat want to hoard deals. When deals are getting thinner and thinner they shift to selling information.

    I am just talking in generalities and not any specific company.

  • Real Estate Agent · Grand Junction, CO · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 736 votes
    8y

    @Andrew McManamon I don't actually work on my properties any more - but I oversee budget, place online orders, communicate with subs, write tons of checks, etc. And of course I make the kind of upgrades that are both required / desired by end buyers. By knowing what people want I make money... 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.