Your Voicemail Greeting is a LIE

Your Voicemail Greeting is a LIE

Residential Real Estate Agent · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 380 votes

I can't tell you how many times I've heard "I'm either on the other line or helping clients".

Really? Your life consists of nothing besides being on the phone, or helping clients? Perhaps sometimes even helping clients by talking to them on the phone?

Is it just real estate agents that have taken "the appearance of a busy schedule" to this level, or do other professions do this as well?

Also annoying: "Thanks for calling Joe Smith with Century 21, million dollar producer". Maybe in some markets this is impressive, but in mine this means you sold two houses (or maybe one). Congrats.

I'm sure others have heard similarly annoying voicemail greetings, it would be great to get those out in the open so we can teach our fellow agents to avoid them...

1Reply
105 views

Most Popular Reply

Will BarnardPro Member
Moderator
Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
15y

Annoying, YES, a lie, likely Yes, are they going to change? No. It is what it is, no different than the fact that so many agents never return phone calls. Countless times I have called on an active listing stating I am a buyer, with all cash, I will prove it, and I want to make an offer, please call me. Guess, what, no call. How these agents expect to sell homes if they don't even call back buyers.

And for anyone who is thinking about jumping in to make excuses, saying that maybe the listing already had an offer or some other stupid justification, don't try it. If it did have an offer, then the listing should be "pending" and the agent should still call back a buyer, perhaps they could sell him another property!

Jake - would you like my new message?
"Hello, you have reached Will Barnard, I am currently watching my bikini models wax down my Lamborgini, or I am being fed grapes pool side at my Malibu beach front, so please leave a message and I will get back to you as soon as I am no longer busy. Have a great day.

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2008 · 488 posts · 121 votes
    14y

    I took some advice from this thread, and I've given it a try for 2 weeks now. I really like it. I've gone from clients calling me 10 times per day, to once per day. Not saying its bad they call, but it reduces the time spent on the phone for both of us. I've got 2 times per day where I spend on the phone and I'm loving it.

    Good thread!

    Danny

  • SFR Investor · Kansas City, Honolulu, HI · Member since 2011 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    14y

    I prefer Voicemail that just beeps, no long winded, this is.... blah blah blah... Spending 30 seconds to leave a message is annoying. And you don't know to hit # or * to get directly to the beep. :)

  • Real Estate Broker · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 17 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    I like voicemails with 3 or 4 options ; not 7 or 8 choices.
    I mean, really, who is going to remember option 6 if it resembles option 3 while driving 65 in a 35 :)
    (also it's better when people pick-up)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.