Your Voicemail Greeting is a LIE

Your Voicemail Greeting is a LIE

Residential Real Estate Agent · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 380 votes

I can't tell you how many times I've heard "I'm either on the other line or helping clients".

Really? Your life consists of nothing besides being on the phone, or helping clients? Perhaps sometimes even helping clients by talking to them on the phone?

Is it just real estate agents that have taken "the appearance of a busy schedule" to this level, or do other professions do this as well?

Also annoying: "Thanks for calling Joe Smith with Century 21, million dollar producer". Maybe in some markets this is impressive, but in mine this means you sold two houses (or maybe one). Congrats.

I'm sure others have heard similarly annoying voicemail greetings, it would be great to get those out in the open so we can teach our fellow agents to avoid them...

1Reply
121 views

Most Popular Reply

Will BarnardPro Member
Moderator
Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
15y

Annoying, YES, a lie, likely Yes, are they going to change? No. It is what it is, no different than the fact that so many agents never return phone calls. Countless times I have called on an active listing stating I am a buyer, with all cash, I will prove it, and I want to make an offer, please call me. Guess, what, no call. How these agents expect to sell homes if they don't even call back buyers.

And for anyone who is thinking about jumping in to make excuses, saying that maybe the listing already had an offer or some other stupid justification, don't try it. If it did have an offer, then the listing should be "pending" and the agent should still call back a buyer, perhaps they could sell him another property!

Jake - would you like my new message?
"Hello, you have reached Will Barnard, I am currently watching my bikini models wax down my Lamborgini, or I am being fed grapes pool side at my Malibu beach front, so please leave a message and I will get back to you as soon as I am no longer busy. Have a great day.

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 268 votes
    15y

    c'mon Jake
    you know it, I know it, everyone is in the loop. You ain't gonna change anything :)

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    15y

    Annoying, YES, a lie, likely Yes, are they going to change? No. It is what it is, no different than the fact that so many agents never return phone calls. Countless times I have called on an active listing stating I am a buyer, with all cash, I will prove it, and I want to make an offer, please call me. Guess, what, no call. How these agents expect to sell homes if they don't even call back buyers.

    And for anyone who is thinking about jumping in to make excuses, saying that maybe the listing already had an offer or some other stupid justification, don't try it. If it did have an offer, then the listing should be "pending" and the agent should still call back a buyer, perhaps they could sell him another property!

    Jake - would you like my new message?
    "Hello, you have reached Will Barnard, I am currently watching my bikini models wax down my Lamborgini, or I am being fed grapes pool side at my Malibu beach front, so please leave a message and I will get back to you as soon as I am no longer busy. Have a great day.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Payson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    Hello, you've reached Nick. I can't answer my phone right now because I'm too busy looking at my phone, seeing that you're calling and purposely ignoring you. It takes a lot of effort so please just stop calling me, thanks.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    15y

    That stuff is annoying, but what is worse, IMO, is when people can't follow the instructions on your voicemail. For example, I won't return phone calls when people don't tell the reason they are calling. If you just leave your name and number and nothing else, the message goes in the trash. Of course, my message plainly states to leave the reason for the call....

    Anal retentive . . . absolutely.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Rochester, NY · Member since 2011 · 138 posts · 11 votes
    15y

    Not leaving a reason for the call is my biggest pet-peeve too!

    And Will, if you left me that message, I would call and call and call....until I got you live!!! :D

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 928 votes
    15y

    I find it impressive that there is another agent bashing thread, I thought all topics had been covered. :roll:

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 380 votes
    15y

    A mildly self-deprecating one at that...

  • Sean H.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2010 · 224 posts · 75 votes
    15y

    "Believe it or not, I'm not by my phone, please leave a messsssaagggee at the beep. I must be out, or I'd pickup the phone. Where could I beee?? Believe it or not, I'm not home!"

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Kathy V.:
    And Will, if you left me that message, I would call and call and call....until I got you live!!! :D
    Thats funny!
    Kathy, you would only have to come over in your bikini and wash my car, you would then have my attention. :lol:
  • Des Moines, IA · Member since 2010 · 44 posts · 14 votes
    15y

    Ha ha ha. Sean, I love the Seinfeld reference. Well played.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Hattiesburg, MS · Member since 2011 · 475 posts · 141 votes
    15y

    Funny Story

    I changed #'s about a year ago...

    The brotha who got my old number was straight up gangsta... He ended the voicemail recording with "Quit Calling my Motha F(U(*) Phone & waisting my Motha F3$#$ time"


    Embarassing part was that I still had the number on some of my signs.... Call it if you dare [REMOVED]....

    Just say that you are calling about the house for sale if he answers....

  • Involved In Real Estate · Rochester, NY · Member since 2011 · 138 posts · 11 votes
    15y

    Nice try Will :lol: Let's not digress...

    I was merely pointing out that GOOD agents return phone calls. :D

    (Isn't there some system in place that takes influence points away?) :lol:

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    15y

    I simply leave on my voice mail my name and company and to leave me a message and reason for calling.

    When I call someone else I try to keep the call to 20 to 30 seconds on voice mail.I state my name,number,reason for calling and at the end state the name and number again and then hang up.

    People tend to over complicate things to much and make it harder on themselves.

    As far as broker/agent bashing I guess some get their rocks off on it or something.I don't really care one way or the other.What I do care about is my portfolio and bank account keeps growing.

    I have heard brokers and agents trash talk investors just as much for years and years.I don't get caught up in that stuff.

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    15y

    found when I made some marketing mistakes in the past, all it takes is a voice mail (in a super thick Indian accent) saying "Hello, tech service", "sorry, what that is you are saying".

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Siesta Key, FL · Member since 2011 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    15y

    I agree with the first commenter - it's never going to change, no matter how much we hate the greetings people leave. But it is true - leave your reason for calling or I'm not returning the message!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2010 · 188 posts · 118 votes
    15y

    Jake, I would leave a detailed post but I'm on the other line helping clients. :mrgreen:

  • Real Estate Investor · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2008 · 407 posts · 90 votes
    15y

    Good to see that others are bothered by endless voice mail and message trees. Thanks for the Zero button. People are shocked when I reach them because Zero was not an option they listed in the message.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    How about this one when calling a tenant (phone company recording): "The person you called is unavailable. Please try again later."

    Unavailable? Really? Would they be available after they pay their past due phone bill?

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Kathy V.:
    Nice try Will :lol: Let's not digress...

    I was merely pointing out that GOOD agents return phone calls. :D

    (Isn't there some system in place that takes influence points away?) :lol:

    Kathy, just as your comment was in joking fashion, so was mine. I don;t see why I would get negative influence for my response, it was all in good fun.

    Back on topic . . . I too agree with Elena that people can complain and scream at the moon all they want, it will not change a thing.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Rochester, NY · Member since 2011 · 138 posts · 11 votes
    15y

    I was kidding Will. :)

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 380 votes
    15y

    You're guys little tiff has been great for my influence points. Thanks, Will and Kathy ;)

  • Involved In Real Estate · Rochester, NY · Member since 2011 · 138 posts · 11 votes
    15y

    Glad I could help. That's what GOOD agents do... :)

  • Rehabber · Fort Walton Beach, FL · Member since 2011 · 240 posts · 48 votes
    15y

    Well as a newbie, I am very glad to say my message says, I am sorry I am unavailable to take your call right now lol.... so this feed wasn't aimed at me hehehe

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    15y

    This is not a voicemail this is a telepathic thought recording device. After the tone, think about your name,your reason for calling,and a number where I can reach you and I'll think about returning your call.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Kathy V.:
    I was kidding Will. :)
    Thats good to know Kathy, glad we are on the same page, I was not sure at first. :lol:

    @Jake - Glad to be of service, that is what good agents (Kathy) and good investors (me) do.

    @ Nick J - That was a good one, I like that.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.