What to expect year one as a new full-time real estate agent

What to expect year one as a new full-time real estate agent

Realtor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2018 · 47 posts · 14 votes

So just a little bit of detail, I'm looking to to a full career shift to being a real estate agent. I do not have real estate experience in buying and selling for others, only in apartment management and three homes I've purchased myself. With my work life balance it is not something I can start part-time so if I'm jumping in I'm jumping in with both feet forward all in. I would love to know your current experiences are as a real estate agent, especially with Keller Williams since I hear they are stellar company And that is whom I'm interested in hanging a license with.

what are some realistic expectations for the first fiscal year as a real estate agent? I know it's all commission so if you don't make any sales you don't eat basically, and I know that the majority of real estate agents fail in their first year pretty hard, but I would love some tips on what are some realistic expectations and sales or in ways to get up and get going.

0Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
6y

Realistic expectations for year 1 - operating at a loss. 

Most new businesses operate at a loss in year 1,  an agent will be the same thing. 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    6y

    Realistic expectations for year 1 - operating at a loss. 

    Most new businesses operate at a loss in year 1,  an agent will be the same thing. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    Realistic expectations for year 1 - operating at a loss. 

    Most new businesses operate at a loss in year 1,  an agent will be the same thing.

    its fairly common knowledge ( or it used to be) that you need 1 year in the bank to support yourself when you enter the Commission only real estate industry.  but by year 5 to 10 it can be so SWEET. !!!

  • Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    It really depends how you plan to make your business as an agent- if you're going to be your own independent agent or if you're planning to work under a heavy hitter who will be paying for all the lead generation and essentially handing you business however, you'll be getting a smaller cut but with less overhead. I did this starting out and made about 30k my first year, it was nice because it allowed me to learn the business quickly, without the risk of overhead and have commissions coming in quicker than if I was doing my own lead generation. 

  • Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    Also, I'm with KW and they're awesome! So many great courses and a really great community! :) they also do an awesome profit sharing option where if someone else signs up under KW and you were the reason they did and they write your name down you'll get 1% of their sales profit as passive income and it doesn't come out of their pocket it comes out of KW's. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.