Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 54 posts · 25 votes
Last January my husband and I started out as full time Realtors. Right off the bat we got 2 listings so he quit his day job and we hit the ground running. Since then we’ve had only a couple more closings from buyer transactions. We want to be listing agents, though. This market has been SO hard to start in, has anyone else experienced this too?
We do at least two open houses every weekend, we pass out professional flyers, we’ve contacted our sphere of influence, we tell everyone we meet we’re Realtors...it seems like we’ve done everything! We’ve had multiple people ghost us, which has been disappointing, and two people say they want to list with us and then go with other people. Our savings are running out and we’re feeling hopeless. What have other people done that works to get more business? Please tell me it gets easier!
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
5y
The industry has an 87% failure rate, which is right in line with the 90% failure rate for small businesses.
Becoming a real estate agent should be looked at as no different than starting any other business. Most businesses lose money the first 2 years they are open, then eek out a profit in year 3 before settling into profitablity.
You need to start spending say 4 hours per day on lead generating activities. If you are not good at lead generation, then join a real estate team.
Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2020 · 411 posts · 373 votes
5y
A few months ago I got talked into getting my license by investor friends. Black Rock was gonna flood the market with cash and all I needed to do was get out there with a bucket and catch some of it in the form of commission. Reality: not so much.
For lead generation BP has been my only source that has worked, but most of those leads only ever want to look at MFH, and I've learned the hard way MFH data is sucky beyond repair in the MLS.
No closings. Not much in the way of SOI leads. Advice from team leaders at the market center is dinosaur, laughably ineffective, and/or contradictory. No help at all. "Just call people you know!" I got the people I know riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight heeeeeeeeeeere. Door knocking in the redneck part of Florida where I live is a good way to get killed. No thanks. Tried a direct mail campaign and oversubscribed on it, didn't work.
Rather than quit altogether I'm working on getting a day job to keep this going as a side hustle. I have two ideas in mind, one to create a YouTube channel where I just rant honestly about RE to the world, what they see is what they get, and maybe that will differentiate me enough to get some leads. Another idea is to work Commercial in Orlando as some companies associated with Disney (not Disney itself) are expanding.
Real Estate Broker · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 872 votes
5y
I'm having some struggles but cold calling and biggerpockets has kept me afloat. Extremely tough to get listings. I've been promised some and then they dip on me and go with another agent because of the brand name...
Realtor · MD (maryland) · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 3 votes
5y
I got my license in September 2020. Due to covid measures door knocking and cold calling were actually fined practices. So I had to get creative. Started making door hangers and post cards. Haven’t gotten anything from them. Lately I’ve been trying to help as many flippers as I can in the Baltimore area. Trying to be as much value as I can be. Maybe they will let me sell their houses
Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 54 posts · 25 votes
5y
@Ronald Allen Barney Thanks for your response. Yes I have run into the same thing when I ask the older realtors about getting leads, but that just doesn’t work for people in my age group! Millennials do not want to be bothered, lol.
We are also thinking of doing a podcast or YouTube channel. That’s also something that takes a lot of time and commitment to see results. It would be so sad to have to get a 9-5 job at h the is point, we’ve put in so much and love this lifestyle and everything about real estate. I guess that’s the last resort 😩
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
5y
The industry has an 87% failure rate, which is right in line with the 90% failure rate for small businesses.
Becoming a real estate agent should be looked at as no different than starting any other business. Most businesses lose money the first 2 years they are open, then eek out a profit in year 3 before settling into profitablity.
You need to start spending say 4 hours per day on lead generating activities. If you are not good at lead generation, then join a real estate team.
Real Estate Agent · Oswego, NY · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 8 votes
5y
Congrats to you both for become Realtors!
I think any new agent is going to have a hard time getting listings with the market the way it is today. With limited inventory, everyone is competing to get those listings.
Teams are a great way to get training and help develop the systems to keep you running. A few other suggestions would be:
Video! Whether it be FB, Insta, texts, email. Where possible, implement video. People connect better with people they can see.
Work the buyers and ask the right questions to uncover the hidden sellers. This also helps you identify the buyers that already have their home listed or plan to list with another agent.
And most important....Google Local Service Ads. These have been some of the best "come list me" leads I've seen.
Rental Property Investor · Lehi, UT (Lehi) · Member since 2018 · 91 posts · 99 votes
5y
@Kirsten F. Getting your head above water as a real estate agent is a tough one. My first year I sold 1 house and closed with 2 buyers. Before this I’ve started 2 other businesses that are going to this day and are successful. I can honestly say becoming a successful real estate agent has been the hardest. Each deal you do as long as you do it correctly compounds down the road. Usually by year 3 you have a profitable business. I knew going into real estate it would be rough and had enough cash reserves to keep me afloat for the time being.
Realtor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 2 votes
5y
Hi Kirsten,
All real estate leads are slow process, don’t get discouraged. I have been doing a weekly YouTube video every week since the beginning of this year and although I do not have many followers, I have received two leads for it. The key is just to get it out there. Read Karen Carrs book on YouTube for Realtors. It’s a quick read and step by step plan for building a real estate YouTube lead source.
Property Manager · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y
Starting a real estate sales career is a slow process and one that most people fail at (see @Russell Brazil's post above). In my opinion you have to start with your sphere of influence - the people who already know you and like you. Ask them for their businesses and for their referrals, and then stay in touch with regularly touch campaign of calls/emails/physical mail.
Beyond that, I suggest being purposeful (not spammy) on Social Media. Facebook has been good to me in terms of staying front of mind with people in my SOI. I try to make a personal (not real estate) post daily, and a businesses post 2-3 times per week.
It can be a drag getting started in this business, but once you get momentum it can be a lot of fun and very profitable. Good luck!
Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
5y
It's not just your market- being a realtor is a tough gig. People think that you do a few deals and then drink a cocktail on the beach for a few months. It takes so much work to get to the deals that actually close.
Beyond that- realtors aren't commodities, good realtors make deals work that rookies can't get done- we know how to negotiate, develop relationships with sellers and come up with terms that favor our clients and create back door leverage.
If you are just getting started, it's best to cut your teeth with a team. Give it a couple years so you learn the tricks of the trade. There's a reason that the failure rate in the industry is around 90%- many people jump in because they have a couple friends who want to sell or buy and they get some quick momentum, but it dies down quickly once you really have to dig up those new leads.
Yes, you'll be paying a higher split to your team, but consider it your cost of education. It'll be well worth it once you get your feet under you and can jump off on your own.
Side note- I'd suggest you find a team that lets you take your sphere with you once you leave. Some teams will require that you give them the rights to your friends and family as potential leads forever- not a good deal for you.
Real Estate Broker · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 569 posts · 351 votes
5y
@Kirsten F.
with some exception it takes a few years to get into the RE business for most agents. I started out doing everything you should do according to those RE gurus but noticed fast that was not my way. For example when I was driving to a showing I tried to memorize the script to get a buyer agency agreement signed. Today I’m driving to a showing our listing appointment with no intention outer than to have a good time meeting new people and see if I can help. No scripts no follow up no emails if someone like to work with me they call me. Suddenly everting changed and deals are coming up everywhere.
Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y
I have sold 26 million in 2-4 units last 3 years. There forsure is more ghosting lately so don't get down about that just be stricter about who you work with. Any time the market gets hot you get the FOMO type buyers who aren't as serious as the average buyer a few years ago. I closed about the same amount of deals as last year but definitely had a few people waste my time so have become a bit stricter about which clients I take on.
P.S Don't focus on listings right away. Focus on buyers. No smart person is going to list with a newer realtor, when there are lots of more experienced realtors out there but for buyers agent people will care a lot less how experienced. I like buyers and still do over 50% buyers.
Investor · Cincinnati/Fort Thomas, KY · Member since 2015 · 206 posts · 183 votes
5y
@Kirsten F. Have you thought about becoming investors instead of agents? Or at least networking with investors in your area? BP is a good start but there are more ways to be involved with real estate than as an agent.
Real Estate Agent · Greater Tampa Bay · Member since 2017 · 392 posts · 290 votes
5y
They say “list to last” but chasing listing can be tough. Being a buyers agent isn’t easy at all right now but buyers are paychecks waiting to be cashed. Explain what it takes to get their offers won in these market conditions and then see if you’re on the same page.
Lubbock, TX · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 1 vote
5y
@Ronald Allen Barney I started a YouTube Channel. I’ve heard lots of people say it’s works. Essentially, you’re building a channel much like a YouTube which would put you on Google if you get good views. So far though, I’ve only got leads from people who want to rent
Realtor · Boston, MA · Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote
5y
@Kirsten F.
Hi Kirsten,
I started in June and let me just say you are not alone! I have teamed up with a busy agent in my office so that I can gain experience while I have my reserves. He has been super helpful in explaining the ins and outs and I’m gaining experience as I host the open homes to build relationships. It’s still tough trying to show value to clients with nothing in my portfolio to show results.
I have not listed or sold anything yet but I hope to change that in the next coming month .. maybe I’ll give YouTube a try 🤷🏻♀️