Hi BP Community,
I got my start in RE investing by providing a loan to an experienced flipper. Since then, I became the borrower, using many different hard money lenders on BRRRR's in the area. Lately, I've considered getting back into the hard money/private money lending space in a more scalable way. However, I'm struggling to figure out how to be innovative in the space as there are probably over 100 hard money lenders just in the DFW area alone, and they're all racing to the bottom in the terms of pricing, which leaves little profitability on a per-loan basis. The material I'm digesting that covers this topic isn't really providing me any creative new ways to add margin or serve the community better than what's already out there.
I'm turning to the BP community to see if any of you have had experience with innovative hard money lenders or have ideas on how to gain a competitive advantage and offer a superior product than what exists presently.
Thanks!
@Eric Boshart wrote:
“… and they're all racing to the bottom in the terms of pricing, which leaves little profitability on a per-loan basis …
The material I'm digesting that covers this topic isn't really providing me any creative new ways to add margin ...”
I think you’re having digestive issues, Eric. 🤣 Why do you believe you have to compete on price?
Do Nordstrom’s or Whole Foods compete on price? How did it work out for K-Mart?
Everyone will always say they want the cheapest money they can find. In our experience, their actions speak louder than their words. I can tell you with certainty that experienced flippers, our market focus, are much less sensitive to a few points or percent than they are to speed to fund, maximizing LTV, minimizing payments, and above all a great trusting personal relationship. It boils down to having as many competitive advantages as you can. Here are a few I know are actionable:
What other competitive advantages can you offer which have nothing to do with the price of your money? What asset class are you lending to? Are you trying to be all things to all people like the giant mega-HMLs? The narrower your focus, the better.
If you lend to out-of-state strangers, require two appraisals (I really know HMLs who do), credit reports, bank statements, W-2s, income taxes, 2 weeks to fund if you're lucky, and then hope to obtain 8% on a 75% LTV, then you are almost indistinguishable from most conventional lending criteria. This is the model used by many of the billion-dollar mortgage pools.
The billion-dollar mortgage pools can get by on a 3% spread. You can’t.
I am a HML as well. I am experiencing the same issues. There are about 100-200 local and national lenders I'm competing with. I am working on building relationships and speed to market is HUGE! I commit to 24 hour decisions and as little paperwork as possible. It's still tough though. Don't settle for bottom of the barrel borrowers, take the time to meet the right people and always keep your commitments.
Hope that helps!
-Sarah
Love the 24-hour decision framework. Thanks for the reply! If I ever choose to invest in Kansas City I know who to call.
@Eric Boshart, I feel like relationships are the key to any great business. I recently had a lender experience where a certain lender had the best rate but were not able to deliver on their promises and burned everyone in the process. I would much rather work with someone that I know I can trust and is going to deliver consistent results than just finding the best rate. Hope this helps!
As someone in DFW who uses hard money, I would say that any innovation that keeps the initial out of pocket amount low for the borrower makes a huge difference. Structuring a loan that is the entire amount with a rehab in escrow is incredibly frustrating and causes people not to purchase. If they had the money to set the majority in escrow they wouldn't be seeking a rehab loan in the first place! Creating loans that split out rehab and purchase into two separate loans means more deals for the investor and in turn more deals for you! I think you could also consider a rehab that has you paying up to a certain amount of the rehab yourself and taking half the equity at sale would be appealing to flippers as well. Of course you would need to cap your percentage to ARV, but structuring more as a partnership side deal with experienced investors would be potentially very profitable for you.
Thanks very much for the insight. I agree JV partnerships (taking equity upside on the backend) would certainly be appealing, and I could adjust the return to meet the higher risk profile.
Strictly rehab loans usually require you to sit behind a first lien holder correct, because typically they would finance the purchase with a bank/different lender. Again, I think that would be fine as long as you're adjusting the return.
Very interesting!
@Noah Thacher great point. I've worked with "best rate" lenders instead of "best service" lenders, and the difference is palpable.
Thanks very much for the insight. I agree JV partnerships (taking equity upside on the backend) would certainly be appealing, and I could adjust the return to meet the higher risk profile.
Strictly rehab loans usually require you to sit behind a first lien holder correct, because typically they would finance the purchase with a bank/different lender. Again, I think that would be fine as long as you're adjusting the return.
Very interesting!
I did a loan with a private lender that still had 70%ARV where they held both loans. The difference being that the two amounts were separated into a purchase price loan and a rehab loan that was held in escrow. I didn't end up with $20k in closing costs like I found in the combined loan because they weren't just placing my rehab funds in escrow. It became an actual secondary loan. Same as many lenders would do as a single loan at 70% ARV, just separated with the rehab loan as an escrow account with draws so my closing costs made it doable for me.
Thanks very much for the insight. I agree JV partnerships (taking equity upside on the backend) would certainly be appealing, and I could adjust the return to meet the higher risk profile.
Strictly rehab loans usually require you to sit behind a first lien holder correct, because typically they would finance the purchase with a bank/different lender. Again, I think that would be fine as long as you're adjusting the return.
Very interesting!
I did a loan with a private lender that still had 70%ARV where they held both loans. The difference being that the two amounts were separated into a purchase price loan and a rehab loan that was held in escrow. I didn't end up with $20k in closing costs like I found in the combined loan because they weren't just placing my rehab funds in escrow. It became an actual secondary loan. Same as many lenders would do as a single loan at 70% ARV, just separated with the rehab loan as an escrow account with draws so my closing costs made it doable for me.
Gotcha, makes sense. What would you think if a lender, instead of placing the rehab loan in escrow, attempted to earn a yield on it until you requested it for reimbursement? It could be an attractive proposition for a limited partner/passive investor into the business if the return is spiked a bit.
I would be hesitant because of the possible loan fraud implications of leveraging money placed in escrow. I'm not an attorney, but I would think that those funds would need to be very sound. It also would likely not be worth pursuing if they re projects like mine that are limited to 2-3 months maximum. I do like how you're thinking outside of the box though!
@Eric Boshart wrote:
“… and they're all racing to the bottom in the terms of pricing, which leaves little profitability on a per-loan basis …
The material I'm digesting that covers this topic isn't really providing me any creative new ways to add margin ...”
I think you’re having digestive issues, Eric. 🤣 Why do you believe you have to compete on price?
Do Nordstrom’s or Whole Foods compete on price? How did it work out for K-Mart?
Everyone will always say they want the cheapest money they can find. In our experience, their actions speak louder than their words. I can tell you with certainty that experienced flippers, our market focus, are much less sensitive to a few points or percent than they are to speed to fund, maximizing LTV, minimizing payments, and above all a great trusting personal relationship. It boils down to having as many competitive advantages as you can. Here are a few I know are actionable:
What other competitive advantages can you offer which have nothing to do with the price of your money? What asset class are you lending to? Are you trying to be all things to all people like the giant mega-HMLs? The narrower your focus, the better.
If you lend to out-of-state strangers, require two appraisals (I really know HMLs who do), credit reports, bank statements, W-2s, income taxes, 2 weeks to fund if you're lucky, and then hope to obtain 8% on a 75% LTV, then you are almost indistinguishable from most conventional lending criteria. This is the model used by many of the billion-dollar mortgage pools.
The billion-dollar mortgage pools can get by on a 3% spread. You can’t.
Thanks very much for the insight. I agree JV partnerships (taking equity upside on the backend) would certainly be appealing, and I could adjust the return to meet the higher risk profile.
Strictly rehab loans usually require you to sit behind a first lien holder correct, because typically they would finance the purchase with a bank/different lender. Again, I think that would be fine as long as you're adjusting the return.
Very interesting!
@Eric Boshart wrote:
“… and they're all racing to the bottom in the terms of pricing, which leaves little profitability on a per-loan basis …
The material I'm digesting that covers this topic isn't really providing me any creative new ways to add margin ...”
I think you’re having digestive issues, Eric. 🤣 Why do you believe you have to compete on price?
Do Nordstrom’s or Whole Foods compete on price? How did it work out for K-Mart?
Everyone will always say they want the cheapest money they can find. In our experience, their actions speak louder than their words. I can tell you with certainty that experienced flippers, our market focus, are much less sensitive to a few points or percent than they are to speed to fund, maximizing LTV, minimizing payments, and above all a great trusting personal relationship. It boils down to having as many competitive advantages as you can. Here are a few I know are actionable:
What other competitive advantages can you offer which have nothing to do with the price of your money? What asset class are you lending to? Are you trying to be all things to all people like the giant mega-HMLs? The narrower your focus, the better.
If you lend to out-of-state strangers, require two appraisals (I really know HMLs who do), credit reports, bank statements, W-2s, income taxes, 2 weeks to fund if you're lucky, and then hope to obtain 8% on a 75% LTV, then you are almost indistinguishable from most conventional lending criteria. This is the model used by many of the billion-dollar mortgage pools.
The billion-dollar mortgage pools can get by on a 3% spread. You can’t.
Thanks very much for the insight. I agree on the Kiavi, national fix and flip lenders that have to do a ton of volume in order to scale. Not really looking to lend to everyone everywhere.
Seems like speed and limiting cash-to-close requirements are super important, as well as having really solid personal relationships.
All very actionable advice.
Thanks very much for the insight. I agree JV partnerships (taking equity upside on the backend) would certainly be appealing, and I could adjust the return to meet the higher risk profile.
Strictly rehab loans usually require you to sit behind a first lien holder correct, because typically they would finance the purchase with a bank/different lender. Again, I think that would be fine as long as you're adjusting the return.
Very interesting!
Helpful! How did those deals turn out from a return perspective, if you don't mind me asking?
Even with the amount of lenders out in the market given how a lot of lenders are doing i'd say there is plenty of customers out there. Not all investors are rate, point, or leverage sensitive if anything they just want speed and transparency. Also keep in mind certain lenders have minimum, maximum capabilities on certain propertis. Some only do smaller loans under 500k, some only offer 70% LTV, some only lend to seasoned investors, some only do bridge loans. We are a newer fund but have been doing this for 10+ years and we had no issues funding over $200M loans in our first year. Look at larger shops like Lending Home, Anchor loans these shops do 1 billion in loans a year, but a lot of other shops are doing 100M -500M in volume and thriving. One thing I found is when a lender becomes too big they end up lacking in other areas such as customer experience and seasoned investors just want the ease of mind to know their deal is going to get funded in a timely fashion without issues or headache.
Even with the amount of lenders out in the market given how a lot of lenders are doing i'd say there is plenty of customers out there. Not all investors are rate, point, or leverage sensitive if anything they just want speed and transparency. Also keep in mind certain lenders have minimum, maximum capabilities on certain propertis. Some only do smaller loans under 500k, some only offer 70% LTV, some only lend to seasoned investors, some only do bridge loans. We are a newer fund but have been doing this for 10+ years and we had no issues funding over $200M loans in our first year. Look at larger shops like Lending Home, Anchor loans these shops do 1 billion in loans a year, but a lot of other shops are doing 100M -500M in volume and thriving. One thing I found is when a lender becomes too big they end up lacking in other areas such as customer experience and seasoned investors just want the ease of mind to know their deal is going to get funded in a timely fashion without issues or headache.
Much appreciated, Troy! Definitely not even looking for that type of volume. Sounds like having a dialogue with your prospective clients is most important.