Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
So we have a property that we’re almost through with the rehab on. It has an inground pool that we were thinking of filling in due to the liability and maintenance issue. If we fill it in prior to appraisal will it affect the appraisal?
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
4y
my experience with with pools is:
if this basically lower end properties were their are few pools B/C the cost to build one today would be half the price of the home it almost had negative value Not sure what an appraiser would do in those instances since it would be an anomaly basically.. I remember one particular one on a property i funded in Vickburg MS and the pool was huge but the value of the home was still under 100k so the pool added no value and it was a tough house to sell no one wanted to maintain it. and it was too hard to fill.
In Kokomo IN I had another one were we filled it.. again starter house no one really had pools there and filling it was the better play. So depends on the neighbor hood. If its just a rental and a refi and the pool is functional and not a hazard I would not spend the money to fill it.
In my Vegas stuff pools are an asset for sure and I suspect in Texas too.
Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
4y
@Joe S. actually I have heard it will NOT increase the value of a home. A pool is a liability that some buyers don't want. The reality is it depends on where you are. In some areas pools maybe in high demand. In may area they are not that common.
Note that @Kevin Luttrell is from Laguna Hills CA. That makes sense where he is. This is something you are going to have to get an answer from someone local. I would talk to an appraiser if you know one or a good agent in the area.
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
4y
Yep, it depends on who the next owner might be. Some people will pay much more for a pool...others (like parents with young kids) look at them as a liability......
Lender · Orange County, CA · Member since 2019 · 299 posts · 255 votes
4y
The question was whether or not an appraiser will give a higher value for a property with a pool vs without. The answer is almost certainly yes, it will be valued higher with a pool. The adjustments made by the appraiser will depend on the market you’re in and comparables. Whether or not the pool would add more value to your home when you are selling is a completely different story. Some may value the pool, others may not.
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
4y
my experience with with pools is:
if this basically lower end properties were their are few pools B/C the cost to build one today would be half the price of the home it almost had negative value Not sure what an appraiser would do in those instances since it would be an anomaly basically.. I remember one particular one on a property i funded in Vickburg MS and the pool was huge but the value of the home was still under 100k so the pool added no value and it was a tough house to sell no one wanted to maintain it. and it was too hard to fill.
In Kokomo IN I had another one were we filled it.. again starter house no one really had pools there and filling it was the better play. So depends on the neighbor hood. If its just a rental and a refi and the pool is functional and not a hazard I would not spend the money to fill it.
In my Vegas stuff pools are an asset for sure and I suspect in Texas too.
@Joe S. actually I have heard it will NOT increase the value of a home. A pool is a liability that some buyers don't want. The reality is it depends on where you are. In some areas pools maybe in high demand. In may area they are not that common.
Note that @Kevin Luttrell is from Laguna Hills CA. That makes sense where he is. This is something you are going to have to get an answer from someone local. I would talk to an appraiser if you know one or a good agent in the area.
Never seen a built in pool in any of the row houses I funded in Baltimore that would be something.
It is a market-to-market deal. Arizona I have seen them come back with added value, but Florida I have not necessarily come back at higher values as they are almost expected to be with nearly every SFR.
Contractor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
4y
In Arizona, a pool absolutely adds value. Appraised value will be higher, you will have more buyers, and and you will sell for more if you have a pool.
It costs $60k-$70k to build a basic pool nowadays. I would never fill one in.
Real Estate Agent · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2020 · 46 posts · 76 votes
4y
I have other above $30k but can't find them right now. I usually see $15-$30k. Lately they have been higher. It really depends on the comps. Some neighborhoods they may add no value, some neighborhoods they mat add $40-$50k. Usually in the middle. If the buyers will pay $25k for a pool, then it should reflect that in the comps. If you don't know enough about comps, contact a local appraiser and ask them to do an appraisal for you with and without the pool. They should be able to tell you probably more accurately than a real estate agent as appraisers are better at determining value based on individual little stats like this than (we) as agents are. My broker is an appraiser so I have more training and access to a licensed appraiser with over 10,000 appraisals completed so understanding if it will add value based upon comps is crucial. It's not just area dependent, it is micro-area dependent and could change from one neighborhood to the next.
@Joe S. actually I have heard it will NOT increase the value of a home. A pool is a liability that some buyers don't want. The reality is it depends on where you are. In some areas pools maybe in high demand. In may area they are not that common.
Note that @Kevin Luttrell is from Laguna Hills CA. That makes sense where he is. This is something you are going to have to get an answer from someone local. I would talk to an appraiser if you know one or a good agent in the area.
Never seen a built in pool in any of the row houses I funded in Baltimore that would be something.
You have more experience in Mississippi than me. Of course it appears that you do more in the Jackson area. The house is a nice brick house in Pascagoula Mississippi. So it’s not exactly a row house, but this is not Mesa Arizona either.
if this basically lower end properties were their are few pools B/C the cost to build one today would be half the price of the home it almost had negative value Not sure what an appraiser would do in those instances since it would be an anomaly basically.. I remember one particular one on a property i funded in Vickburg MS and the pool was huge but the value of the home was still under 100k so the pool added no value and it was a tough house to sell no one wanted to maintain it. and it was too hard to fill.
Correct. I would not buy a rental property with a pool. Too many things to go wrong. And yes, there are are houses in Mississippi with pools that you couldn't get 50K for. Can't attest to the condition of that pool, but it presence just made it harder to sell.
I am an appraiser and the answer is..it depends . If the pool is in an area where a pool is popular due to climate than the comparables would indicate if a pool adds value.
If a pool is located in a less than favorable climate than the pool may not add any value...
So we have a property that we’re almost through with the rehab on. It has an inground pool that we were thinking of filling in due to the liability and maintenance issue. If we fill it in prior to appraisal will it affect the appraisal?
Hi Joe. At least in my neck of the woods, *most* pools add significant value to Sedona and mild to moderate value in Cottonwood, AZ. It depends upon the condition and value of the pool, and what atmosphere it creates for the home. I'm happy to chat about it further, if that is helpful.
Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
4y
I was always told by realtor friends that a pool is only worth something if the next owner wants it. For me personally, unless it was something fabulous, I wouldn’t be willing to pay more for the property.
Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
4y
@Joe S.- if the pool is clean / operational and safe ( fencing etc) leave it alone ...if the pool is old / broken / dirty / unused - then I would fill / remove it