Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
What borrowers say........And What they really mean
1. I’m not going to pay any upfront fees.............I won’t pay for an appraisal, title report, survey, accountant to prepare financials or anything else required to have even an outside chance of getting a loan
2. I’m going to give you a shot at this loan...........because no other lender is even remotely interested in financing this property
3. My previous lender totally screwed me...........by expecting me to make the monthly payments and comply with the other contractural obligations I promised to do
4. I keep an attorney on retainer..............he’s the public defender that was assigned to me for my DWI
5. I anticipate the property will be at full occupancy early next year...............the property vacancy rate
is currently 70%
6. The principal tenant has indicated he wants to renew when his lease is up next year............he’s
already given his move out notice
7. The location is like a major European city............Berlin 1945
8. I only do non recourse loans.............I plan to cash out and disappear
9. The financials on the property show a tax loss...........the property hasn’t had positive cash flow
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
3y
"This deal is being purchased direct from seller at a 10% discount to market value" ... "This deal is exactly like any deal I might have purchased off the MLS, and in fact, because I don't know what I am doing, and buying it direct from seller, I am actually overpaying, and am highly likely to find the nasty surprise problems with the roof, foundation, and termites that will shortly become your problem."
I think what is most nerve racking is when there are lenders/loan brokers that will still work with a borrower with these issues and wait until a few days before closing to let everyone know what is actually going on in hopes that the deal can still close
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
3y
"This deal is being purchased direct from seller at a 10% discount to market value" ... "This deal is exactly like any deal I might have purchased off the MLS, and in fact, because I don't know what I am doing, and buying it direct from seller, I am actually overpaying, and am highly likely to find the nasty surprise problems with the roof, foundation, and termites that will shortly become your problem."
I think what is most nerve racking is when there are lenders/loan brokers that will still work with a borrower with these issues and wait until a few days before closing to let everyone know what is actually going on in hopes that the deal can still close
People live in “denial”. In the past I did that, basically when my marriages were falling apart!
"This deal is being purchased direct from seller at a 10% discount to market value" ... "This deal is exactly like any deal I might have purchased off the MLS, and in fact, because I don't know what I am doing, and buying it direct from seller, I am actually overpaying, and am highly likely to find the nasty surprise problems with the roof, foundation, and termites that will shortly become your problem."
We get borrower’s asking for loans insisting that they are buying property 50% below market value… Does happen but it’s a rarity.
Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
Spot on! But I think a lot of these objections come from shoppers and tire kickers. If you did a thorough job in understanding the client's financials, the deal itself, and the key, THE NEED to perform, you will get little to no objections.
My favorite is when they want terms with no questions asked... LOL