Need some lender advice

Need some lender advice

Real Estate Agent · Fairfield County, CT · Member since 2020 · 43 posts · 30 votes

What loan products are out there for a commercial mixed use 2-unit property where 1 unit is in need of a total rehab? One unit is an occupied apartment bringing in market rent and the other is an old bar that was closed many years ago due to water damage and was never restored.

It wouldn't be a primary residence, so I can't use a 203k. I would like to do a 20% down DSCR, which would work, but I don't know if that would be acceptable for a mixed use property and/or one that has a unit that needs a full rehab.


Does anyone have some ideas of what financing options I should be considering?

0Reply
29 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Meriden, CT · Member since 2018 · 698 posts · 500 votes
    2y

    In this cases I would say Hard Money.  After the seasoning period, do a cash out refinance to pay the hard money back.

    Pinnacle is a hard money lender that many of my friends have used.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y

    If rehab funds are needed, I would steer towards private or hard money. 

  • Robin SimonBusiness Member
    Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Anthony Torri:

    What loan products are out there for a commercial mixed use 2-unit property where 1 unit is in need of a total rehab? One unit is an occupied apartment bringing in market rent and the other is an old bar that was closed many years ago due to water damage and was never restored.

    It wouldn't be a primary residence, so I can't use a 203k. I would like to do a 20% down DSCR, which would work, but I don't know if that would be acceptable for a mixed use property and/or one that has a unit that needs a full rehab.


    Does anyone have some ideas of what financing options I should be considering?


    DSCR Loans won't work both for the Rehab (no rehab allowed must be turnkey) and property type (Mixed Use is somewhat available, but would need more down payment). Should likely go with Hard Money or local bank/credit union

  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Anthony Torri:

    What loan products are out there for a commercial mixed use 2-unit property where 1 unit is in need of a total rehab? One unit is an occupied apartment bringing in market rent and the other is an old bar that was closed many years ago due to water damage and was never restored.

    It wouldn't be a primary residence, so I can't use a 203k. I would like to do a 20% down DSCR, which would work, but I don't know if that would be acceptable for a mixed use property and/or one that has a unit that needs a full rehab.


    Does anyone have some ideas of what financing options I should be considering?


     Hard Money for sure. If the exit is a refi, you might want to get a longer term bridge loan to renovate and have tenants occupy the old bar. Commercial lenders generally don't lend on vacant property. And most require 12 months of rental history for a long term loan. 

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
  • Derek BrickleyBusiness Member
    Lender · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2021 · 664 posts · 226 votes
    2y

    I haven't found an investment debt-service renovation program, so I would agree with other people that maybe hard money would be a good option.

    Gold Star Mortgage Financial Group548 Reviews
  • Devin PetersonBusiness Member
    Lender · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2022 · 2k+ posts · 664 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Anthony Torri:

    What loan products are out there for a commercial mixed use 2-unit property where 1 unit is in need of a total rehab? One unit is an occupied apartment bringing in market rent and the other is an old bar that was closed many years ago due to water damage and was never restored.

    It wouldn't be a primary residence, so I can't use a 203k. I would like to do a 20% down DSCR, which would work, but I don't know if that would be acceptable for a mixed use property and/or one that has a unit that needs a full rehab.


    Does anyone have some ideas of what financing options I should be considering?


     Hey Anthony, Hard money would be your best bet here. There are a few in the tri-state area that I would be happy to connect you with. I'm also located in Connecticut.

  • Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2019 · 339 posts · 126 votes
    2y

    Hard money could be good. Here is how most work:

    • Rates: 10% to 14% (Most Deals are 12%)
    • Terms: 1 Day - 24 Months (Most Deals are 6 months)
    • Fees: 2-5 points(%) of loan amount paid at closing (Most Deals are 3 points(%))
    • Minimum Loan Amount: $50,000 
    • Max Loan: 70% of After Repair Value(ARV)
    • 100% Rehab Financing Available (Require 20% of purchase price down payment or cross-collateral)
    • Closing Timeframe: 48 Hours - 3 Weeks (Most Deals are 10 business days)
    • NO PRIMARY RESIDENCES, NON-OWNER OCCUPIED ONLY, BUSINESS AND COMMERCIAL USE ONLY.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.