Individual Giving Hard Money Loans in CO

Individual Giving Hard Money Loans in CO

Investor · Danville, KY · Member since 2009 · 19 posts · 1 vote

I'm working on my first deal as a hard money lender. I already have an investor lines up and a house proposed. The terms are 2 pts. + 12%, and the loan will be for ~75% of the ARV.

I'm also in the process of finding a good real estate attorney to consult with on the legalalities of the deal, and how to protect myself.

My question is: Are there any state of federal restrictions for me to do this without a broker's license (or any other real estate type license for that matter)? I need to commit to the deal today, and since I realistically won't have an attorney by that time, I'm just looking for initial feedback. From the research I've done, no license is required to lend to an investor looking to flip the property, but I want to be sure.

0Reply
11 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    13y

    Hey TJ,

    Kevin Amolsch is a Bigger Pockets member who does a lot of HM lending in your state.

    I am sure he knows the process there very well and could help you out.

    http://www.pinefinancialblog.com/about/

  • Investor · Danville, KY · Member since 2009 · 19 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    Thanks Joel. I'm actually already invested with Kevin in my SDIRA, so maybe I'll reach out to him regarding this as well.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    13y

    Its my understanding that as long as you're lending your own money you don't need a license. If the money is coming from someone else, you do. I know that law was put into place some years ago because I was working with Kevin at that time. More recently, though, someone here posted that law had been eliminated. So, I don't know where this currently stands.

    You might look at DORA's web site under mortgage brokers and see what it has to say:

    http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?c=Page&childpagename=DORA%2FDORALayout&cid=1249686120221&p=1249686120221&pagename=CBONWrapper

  • Wholesaler · Denver, CO · Member since 2012 · 23 posts · 3 votes
    13y

    As far as an attorney goes, Bill Bronchick in Aurora says he is still taking on clients. I asked him this just a couple of weeks ago at the REI convention in DTC.

  • Mobile Home Investor · Spanaway, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 578 votes
    13y

    You also have Richard Roop out of Manitou Springs/Woodland Park along with Terry Mikesell in Colorado Springs to talk with.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.