First Flip - 225K profit, more luck than skill on my end.

First Flip - 225K profit, more luck than skill on my end.

Flipper/Rehabber · Emeryville, CA · Member since 2017 · 58 posts · 50 votes

Hi All,

My partner and I completed my first fix and flip in Berkeley CA. He is a contractor/investor who has done a few flips and I'm just a guy who is interested in real estate. I studied the market for more than a year and all my offers were rejected before finally getting getting this fixer. As you can guess, the Bay Area is crazy expensive and our flip did not come cheap. We transformed a two bedroom one bathroom house into a three bedroom two bathroom house with an additional bathroom in the garage and staged the garage as living space. We moved the kitchen to the dining room, opened up the wall and created a master suite from where the old kitchen stood. We did not expand the envelope of the building and only worked with what was originally there. 

Since my partner was also my contractor, I paid him half the renovation cost and he did the work. I think I overpaid a bit on construction from what I've seen other people pay for a gut rehab (damn Bay Area pricing). The flip took long, too long as this was my first time submitting permits. The permitting process took us four months and then my partner had to finish his other flip before starting on ours. The total time took about a year from purchase. If I had to change a few things, I would get a few more bids to make sure pricing is okay and make sure we are on schedule. Also, I made him do a few last minute changes because we didn't talk through all the details. I still don't feel I know construction at all aside from a few simple things. The first one is luck, if the second one goes well, I'll call it skill.

$750,000 - Purchase Price

$200,000 - Total Cost (Renovation Costs)

$100,000 - Commission/Taxes/Fees/Escrow/Holding Costs

$1,275,000 - Sale Price

$225,000 - Profit

2Reply
132 views

Most Popular Reply

Roshan K.Pro Member
Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2017 · 258 posts · 215 votes
7y
Originally posted by @Hayden H.:

Just the MLS, I need a better marketing funnel.. things are SO competitive now.

 Nice job on the remodel and great profits!

How did you fund it?

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 408 posts · 361 votes
    7y

    Very nice.

    How'd you fund it?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Emeryville, CA · Member since 2017 · 58 posts · 50 votes
    7y

    Just the MLS, I need a better marketing funnel.. things are SO competitive now.

  • Roshan K.Pro Member
    Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2017 · 258 posts · 215 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Hayden H.:

    Just the MLS, I need a better marketing funnel.. things are SO competitive now.

     Nice job on the remodel and great profits!

    How did you fund it?

  • PA · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    The difference between the before and after photos are insane. Great work

  • Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    Amazing transformation!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Wowza. That's awesome!

  • Rental Property Investor · Kansas City, Wichita · Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    Very nice! Curious, what did you estimate your ARV, and what did you actually list it for?

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Emeryville, CA · Member since 2017 · 58 posts · 50 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Daniel Toy:

    Very nice! Curious, what did you estimate your ARV, and what did you actually list it for?

    Hey Daniel, Thank you. When I bought the property, I estimated ARV at 1.2M based on comps. The lot size is extremely small ~2000, so hard to get real good comps and it definitely caps the sales price. Listed at 950K. The Bay Area East Bay has this questionable approach of always listing properties well below sale price to draw interest. I don't like it but its how the game works there.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Emeryville, CA · Member since 2017 · 58 posts · 50 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ernesto Hernandez:

    Very nice.

    How'd you fund it?

     Sorry I read this as FIND instead of FUND. Need my glasses. My partner took out a home equity mortgage and I worked with a friend who has money to invest and I also invested six figures.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Emeryville, CA · Member since 2017 · 58 posts · 50 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Amit M.:

     Yea hard money loans are rough. I'd rather work with friends as investors who will take a bigger share of profits but won't cause me to panic or make bad decisions if we get delayed just to pay back interest. 

  • Sergio AltomarePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Greater Philadelphia · Member since 2012 · 135 posts · 60 votes
    7y

    @Hayden H. Looks like a beautiful job, congrats! Be sure to really dig into the numbers to get a better feel for your return. Hopefully your split was in your favor because a year is way too long for a flip. I made $60k on a 4 month project last year, but did not find the time value of money for it to make sense doing again. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Emeryville, CA · Member since 2017 · 58 posts · 50 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Sergio Altomare:

    @Hayden H. Looks like a beautiful job, congrats! Be sure to really dig into the numbers to get a better feel for your return. Hopefully your split was in your favor because a year is way too long for a flip. I made $60k on a 4 month project last year, but did not find the time value of money for it to make sense doing again. 

    You are absolutely right and congrats on 60K in 4 months. Frankly, I'd rather be a multifamily buy and hold guy or own a bunch of SFR but caprates just don't make sense in the Bay Area as prices are so high. BRRR is out the question because of this. I need to read the out of state investing book by David Greene!

  • Sergio AltomarePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Greater Philadelphia · Member since 2012 · 135 posts · 60 votes
    7y

    @Hayden H. I had to split that $60 with a partner-contractor, so I consider the project a loss lol. Consider syndication investing for out of state interest, which is what we primarily focus on. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Hayden H. so are you basically paying all cash for acquisition and renovation costs, with your various equity partners? If so, I agree, that’s safer than a 10% hard money loan sitting on your *** ;)

    But also note that the article above shows the flipper selling for a lot lower than what he anticipated. Wouldn’t matter if he had no loan, as he had to drop his price below his total cost.

    Just be very prudent, know your specific market, and the value you can add to a property to take it into the profit zone. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Emeryville, CA · Member since 2017 · 58 posts · 50 votes
    7y

    @Amit M. Yes thats right, and thanks for the advice, I agree with you, I never try to bid for a property assuming the market will rise 5-10% in the time frame I'm flipping. I try to figure out breakeven points. 

    The two guys they mention in the article are coming to the Oakland Real Estate Networking Meetup in West oakland on Thursday. I'll ask them what lessons they learned from their experience.

  • Contractor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    Well done!

  • Rental Property Investor · Kansas City, Wichita · Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    @Hayden H. I'm from the midwest, and after college I lived in the bay area (san mateo) for a few years but before then had never heard of a home selling for more than asking price. I grew up always expecting to buy a home by offering below the asking price. Funny to think about that now over a decade later, and to see that trend of offering above asking price has finally made its way to the midwest. Thanks for your perspective!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Emeryville, CA · Member since 2017 · 58 posts · 50 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Daniel Toy:

    @Hayden H. I'm from the midwest, and after college I lived in the bay area (san mateo) for a few years but before then had never heard of a home selling for more than asking price. I grew up always expecting to buy a home by offering below the asking price. Funny to think about that now over a decade later, and to see that trend of offering above asking price has finally made its way to the midwest. Thanks for your perspective!

     Hi Daniel, What part of the midwest are you from? Its probably easier to build wealth in the mid west with a portfolio of rentals than over in the Bay Area so I hope you take advantage of your market.

  • San Francisco, Bay Area · Member since 2019 · 37 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    Awesome achievement! Seems like there was a lot learned on your first flip; advice I will definitely take into consideration if/when I get into flipping houses. Such a great market, high risk, high reward. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.