Contractor in Jail!

Contractor in Jail!

Nathan HoltPro Member
Newark Ohio · Member since 2022 · 63 posts · 51 votes

I hired a guy to do some drywall work, he did part of the job so I paid him 1/3 of the money (500$) then he disappeared. Just talked to his brother earlier this week, turns out he is in jail. Should I try and get my money back from him or wait till he is out of jail (no idea how long that will be). Has anyone had this happen? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

4Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
3y

Find another contractor and move on.  Sounds like you're not out that much money (and he completed part of the job too).

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    Get your money back! He may be in jail a long time, and plus, you don't want a possible felon or ? working on your place. I assume he's not licensed since you can't get a license/bond/insurance with a record...?

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Better $500 than %5,000...

    Good Luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Holt:

    I hired a guy to do some drywall work, he did part of the job so I paid him 1/3 of the money (500$) then he disappeared. Just talked to his brother earlier this week, turns out he is in jail. Should I try and get my money back from him or wait till he is out of jail (no idea how long that will be). Has anyone had this happen? Any recommendations?

    Thanks!


     I have had this happen to me but I just lost the money. The guy had no money to his name thus I never got it. I have learned sometimes cheaper is not always better. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Steven Foster Wilson:
    Cheaper is always bad. Run from cheap!
  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y

    Find another contractor and move on.  Sounds like you're not out that much money (and he completed part of the job too).

  • Real Estate Consultant · Surrey British Columbia, Canada · Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    Any recommendations of a solid contractor in Columbus for Rehabbing a single family. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus | Toledo · Member since 2019 · 608 posts · 768 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Holt:

    I hired a guy to do some drywall work, he did part of the job so I paid him 1/3 of the money (500$) then he disappeared. Just talked to his brother earlier this week, turns out he is in jail. Should I try and get my money back from him or wait till he is out of jail (no idea how long that will be). Has anyone had this happen? Any recommendations?

    Thanks!


     Does his brother have any drywall skills? He should finish it lol. No but seriously just take the L and move on. Time is money so you do not want to wait for him to get out

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus | Toledo · Member since 2019 · 608 posts · 768 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Danny Sai:

    Any recommendations of a solid contractor in Columbus for Rehabbing a single family. 


     I can share my referrals

  • Realtor · Columbus Ohio, Cleveland Ohio · Member since 2022 · 849 posts · 830 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Holt:

    I hired a guy to do some drywall work, he did part of the job so I paid him 1/3 of the money (500$) then he disappeared. Just talked to his brother earlier this week, turns out he is in jail. Should I try and get my money back from him or wait till he is out of jail (no idea how long that will be). Has anyone had this happen? Any recommendations?

    Thanks!


     To play devils advocate, if he did a third of the work and got a third of the money call it even and find another one. If you have no other connections id be happy share some! Or go spent an hour in the drywall section at lowes and you'll have 10 lol

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Holt:

    I hired a guy to do some drywall work, he did part of the job so I paid him 1/3 of the money (500$) then he disappeared. Just talked to his brother earlier this week, turns out he is in jail. Should I try and get my money back from him or wait till he is out of jail (no idea how long that will be). Has anyone had this happen? Any recommendations?

    Thanks!


     One time my business partner had to bail our contractor out of jail here in Columbus

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Holt:

    I hired a guy to do some drywall work, he did part of the job so I paid him 1/3 of the money (500$) then he disappeared. Just talked to his brother earlier this week, turns out he is in jail. Should I try and get my money back from him or wait till he is out of jail (no idea how long that will be). Has anyone had this happen? Any recommendations?

    Thanks!

    I'd say probably forget the $500 unfortunately - probably not worth the mental stress of dealing with this situation and move on!

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 593 posts · 664 votes
    3y

    I would also just move on and count it as sunk cost.. If $5,000 different story but not worth your time and energy

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    I had one of my employees picked up on the jobsite at lunch. Crazy business.....

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Remington Lyman:
    Quote from @Nathan Holt:

    I hired a guy to do some drywall work, he did part of the job so I paid him 1/3 of the money (500$) then he disappeared. Just talked to his brother earlier this week, turns out he is in jail. Should I try and get my money back from him or wait till he is out of jail (no idea how long that will be). Has anyone had this happen? Any recommendations?

    Thanks!


     One time my business partner had to bail our contractor out of jail here in Columbus

     why @Remington Lyman ? :) that's interesting 

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Remington Lyman:
    Quote from @Nathan Holt:

    I hired a guy to do some drywall work, he did part of the job so I paid him 1/3 of the money (500$) then he disappeared. Just talked to his brother earlier this week, turns out he is in jail. Should I try and get my money back from him or wait till he is out of jail (no idea how long that will be). Has anyone had this happen? Any recommendations?

    Thanks!


     One time my business partner had to bail our contractor out of jail here in Columbus

     why @Remington Lyman ? :) that's interesting 


     He punched his neighbor 

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Holt:

    I hired a guy to do some drywall work, he did part of the job so I paid him 1/3 of the money (500$) then he disappeared. Just talked to his brother earlier this week, turns out he is in jail. Should I try and get my money back from him or wait till he is out of jail (no idea how long that will be). Has anyone had this happen? Any recommendations?

    Thanks!

    This is the time to learn how to do drywall.  I feel for you , Nathan, but the show must go on. Either hire someone else or be your own contractor of last resort. Good luck, man. Waiting for your contractor to get out of jail is never the right way to go. This happens all the time. Many years ago, I once hired Belarusian contractors, father and son, who turned up on the job wearing matching ankle bracelets and tracking devices care of Allegheny County Jail. All they told me is that they couldn't work past 4:00 every day. I learned my lesson the hard way.

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Holt:

    I hired a guy to do some drywall work, he did part of the job so I paid him 1/3 of the money (500$) then he disappeared. Just talked to his brother earlier this week, turns out he is in jail. Should I try and get my money back from him or wait till he is out of jail (no idea how long that will be). Has anyone had this happen? Any recommendations?

    Thanks!

    You said he did part of the work, and so you paid him for the part he did. Why in the world would he give you money back? Also $500 is chump change so if he’s already done some work and not coming back surely you can lose $500 and whereas he’s already done some work you would be losing less than that more than likely…hire someone else to finish the job and move on.
  • Nathan HoltPro Member
    OP
    Newark Ohio · Member since 2022 · 63 posts · 51 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Joe S.:
    Quote from @Nathan Holt:

    I hired a guy to do some drywall work, he did part of the job so I paid him 1/3 of the money (500$) then he disappeared. Just talked to his brother earlier this week, turns out he is in jail. Should I try and get my money back from him or wait till he is out of jail (no idea how long that will be). Has anyone had this happen? Any recommendations?

    Thanks!

    You said he did part of the work, and so you paid him for the part he did. Why in the world would he give you money back? Also $500 is chump change so if he’s already done some work and not coming back surely you can lose $500 and whereas he’s already done some work you would be losing less than that more than likely…hire someone else to finish the job and move on.

    Yeah, I have moved on now, I don't know if he is out of jail or not and I really don't care to. I got a different guy to do it.

  • Elise Bickel TauberBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cranberry Twp · Member since 2017 · 385 posts · 198 votes
    3y

    I agree with the overall consensus. $500 in the big picture is a very very small loss. I had a client whose contractor had 1/3 deposits on 3 different jobs for over $50k and he made excuses and excuses and all the guy ended up doing before flaking was demo (and cause damage) to all 3 properties. They are going to sue because of the situation but with only $500 it just isn't worth it. 

  • New to Real Estate · Texas Christian University · Member since 2022 · 119 posts · 56 votes
    3y

    Nathan, more than likely that money has vanished. Tough luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.