How to get lien waiver from GC by paying full

How to get lien waiver from GC by paying full

Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hi All, We are doing a home remodeling project, and our GC has done a poor job. When we called it out, he became rude and stopped responding to our message. I hired someone else to work on the project, and I am okay with paying him in full and just moving on to the next project.

I have already paid him ~300k, and ~40k of the last payment is remaining. I have asked for a lien waiver (the Property is in WA state), and he is not responding to me. I told him I would pay him in full if he provide a lien waiver,

I am wondering if we do not get a lien waiver, what are the options I have to get it, do I need to hire lawyer?

0Reply
28 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    2y

    Create a lien release and tell him if he signs it and sends it to you, you will send him $40K.  Most people won't hesitate to do that.

    Here is a simple lien release we use...
    ----------------------------

    WAIVER AND RELEASE UPON FINAL PAYMENT

    ___________has provided a final invoice for work done, contracted by ________ for the amount of $________ . The work done was related to: _____________ .

    Final payment, in full, will be sent via US mail or electronic means. When the funds have been properly sent, deposited, and received in the account, this document shall become effective. Upon its effective date, this document hereby releases any mechanic's lien, stop notice, or bond right the undersigned has on the property located at ___________ for the work described above, including all labor, services, equipment, or material furnished on the job.

    By:____________________________________________

    Its: ____________________________________________

    Date: __________________________________________

  • Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    2y
  • Real Estate Broker · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 427 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Priyank Singh:

    Hi All, We are doing a home remodeling project, and our GC has done a poor job. When we called it out, he became rude and stopped responding to our message. I hired someone else to work on the project, and I am okay with paying him in full and just moving on to the next project.

    I have already paid him ~300k, and ~40k of the last payment is remaining. I have asked for a lien waiver (the Property is in WA state), and he is not responding to me. I told him I would pay him in full if he provide a lien waiver,

    I am wondering if we do not get a lien waiver, what are the options I have to get it, do I need to hire lawyer?


     Prepare the form. The state of WA has a downloadable PDF. Meet them in person and have them sign it when you pay them.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.