Real Estate Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 5 votes
Hi All,
I am new to this forum so sorry if i posted in the wrong section.
I ran into an issue, and this is completely my fault, where i started a kitchen remodel without permits. I hired a GC to do the work and asked him to avoid the permits because I wanted to speed things along.
Anyway, I got to thinking that this may now be a bad idea because if i want to rent the place out i dont want to be sued or held liable for any damages that would occur. This is a condo in MA by the way.
Kitchen remodel has already started and the wall has been torn down and electrical work finished so far. Nothing else has been done. I am wondering can I still get the permits without getting hit with heavy fees? No plumbing work has been done and no cabinets have been put up yet but the design of the kitchen will be different than what was there before (was a Galley Kitchen, now an open floor concept with an island with stove and island range).
Architect · Papillion, NE · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 840 votes
10y
You can still get permits. Sometimes they city waives the fees. Its the owners responsibility to get the permits typically. Take tons of pictures of all the electrical and plumbing, as this can save your butt if you have to rip open the walls. If the walls are not covered up yet then no damage yet. Leave them open for a few more days to get the inspections. Good Luck
To Ken who is replacing cabinets and a sink and counter top. As long as you are doing no structural changes, plumbing changes like moving pipes and electrical changes like upgrading a service, or changing the foot print of the building you will not need a permit.
Timmi Ryerson
Smart Property Systems
That's not true at all!
It's true here in PA!
Permits, Code Enforcement, and all the related Logisitics therein are all quite local. Around here, if you pull a permit and plan to do X, Y, & Z, and during the course of the project, it is reasonable for you the to bring certain other aspects up to code, then they MAY require you to do that. Where i live and work, this is a judgement call that the inspector makes (you can influence this, with your perspective, and demonstrating you just want it done in the safest possible way you can afford). Or its a debate that I have with a plan reviewer, prior to a permit being issued for larger projects. Either way, it comes from a safety perspective on their part, always appeal to that when dealing with inspections.
Some jurisdictions are more bureaucratic, and you can't get anywhere with them. You'll have to first determine what doing business with your local permit office is like. No better time to learn than now.
Flipper/Rehabber · Montgomery, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y
Some of the posts here are scary to read. Contractors are charging double their figures if they need to pull permits and install per code. Think about what corners they are cutting. They are not saving you money for the permit itself, they are cutting construction corners. Do you really want these corners cut, whether you are living, renting, or selling a house? In my area a homeowner or contractor can pull the permit. I have my electrician pull his own, as he knows all of the needed additional circuits, etc. Personally I would stop where you are, pull the permit, and wait until it has been issued (up to 30 days).
Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y
I don't like the fact that your electrician was cutting corners. It doesn't mean it's unsafe, but when you have the walls open, it's not worth saving a few bucks to not bring everything up to current code whether or not there are permits required/pulled.
There's no reason you shouldn't have 2 20A circuits for countertop appliances. (Microwave, toaster, etc add up quick!)
There's no reason to not have a correctly sized range circuit. (Note that this could be aluminum wire by code and safely)
There's no reason even turning shouldn't be GFI protected. It's just good practice to follow current codes!
Real Estate Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 5 votes
9y
Hi Everyone, just an update - I decided to go and get permits for the kitchen. This means they are adding a new electrical box because the one I had prior did not have enough power/switches to handle the kitchen I wanted to build.
Hi, he did. I initially asked to do things without permits to speed up the process but later decided to get them because everybody on this forum scared the crap out of me lol.