Electrician Estimate - seems very high

Electrician Estimate - seems very high

Rental Property Investor · USA · Member since 2018 · 75 posts · 38 votes

hello all

I have a house 3/1 single story, 1200sqft, 1950s home with a crawl space and clean attic that is in 10 day contingency period. I had a reputable electrician give me an est and he said the whole house needs rewiring- including taking from 100 amp to 200 amp. I talked to my general contractor and he agrees. It is either old in some places or the home owner ran wires that do not look right in others. I got an est back for $18k. I have not had to rewire a house yet just small electrical. Is $18k the going rate now days? Or does that seem high? 

Time is limited and with holidays i won't be able to another electritian in there to estimate. I may have to walk on the deal if thats the going rate. 

Thanks

1Reply
195 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2021 · 11 posts · 6 votes
4y
Originally posted by @Gabriel Miritello:

The Home is in Savannah, Ga

I am an electric and plumbing contractor in Florida, shouldn't be a huge price difference from my area to GA.

our pricing is 248/drop

so count every (Light switch, outlet and fixture (lights etc) ) and multiply that by 248

so #of drops X $248 = total for rewire

then add about $5,000 for the panel and that will give you a pretty good idea where you should stand, after that give or take $1500 and that'll give you a range!

hope that helped any!

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2017 · 541 posts · 442 votes
    4y

    That's 2-3x what I would expect to spend

  • Gabriel MiritelloPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · USA · Member since 2018 · 75 posts · 38 votes
    4y

    Hey all thanks for the sanity check... though I do see about half that say the price is crazy and half that say it's spot on. Lol. 

    per my OP due to compressed timelines getting multiple quotes was not possible. I have requested an additional 10 days due diligence. With the extended timeline we are planning on getting a few more quotes. 

    lesson learned was due to the unexpected quote I requested the home owner come down on price and I gave him the quote. Since they didn't want to come down, they said they were good with an additional 10 day period. 

    I appreciate everyone weighing in and the great info and responses provided.

  • Property Manager · Boston, MA · Member since 2014 · 194 posts · 73 votes
    4y

    @Gabriel Miritello

    Sadly it’s either everyone is busy or you get guys and there egos trying to boost up there price by telling you things that you might not need.

    Ofcourse the GC will tell you it’s going to be needed, he doesn’t get paid to be unbiased.

    these are trying times. The ball is in the professionals court in all there favors. Sucks that products have gone up also.

    We can blame anyone for this and we should. But making a decision to purchase a property with out running conservative numbers will be our responsibility.

    seems like your under the gun with making a decision or perhaps having delays until you find another estimate. We all have been there. I’m sure you’ll make the right the decision. Either way lesson learned.

    Make the project happen.

    Angel

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2021 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Gabriel Miritello:

    @AdamElbary what a great way to estimate!! Allows the owner to better estimate a home beforehand. Man that's awesome. Is that technique common? I'm trying to improve my initial estimates before I waste an electritians time. Is this standard practice or are there other ways electritions provide basic estimates? 

    Im not too sure if thats a universal way of estimating, some go by length of wire needed, etc..

    thats just a base line, alot of people use that here in florida, but thats even on the high end, if you use that formula with the $248, its highly unlikely for the actual estimate to be higher!

    so yes, you could use that to get a rough "Pre-Estimate" before calling out an electrician!

  • Contractor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2019 · 35 posts · 7 votes
    4y

    @Gabriel Miritello

    He is probably so booked everything is busy when dont want it but if you want it tomorrow fast thats it.

    2 grand for panel -3 in cali areas

    6 probably for the rewire

    Since prices have doubled

    Afci breakers probably 1k not sure what nec is in area

    But its about to go up

    I could

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.